5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a reason for me to get 4x4 instead of 4x2?

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I'm planning on 2021 1500 Limited and I don't need 4x4. I want the higher mpg and tow rating of the 4x2, although I plan on adding an anti-slip diff. I also can't fit the 4x4 in my garage because it's too tall.

I plan on using this truck for regular driving 2-3 times weekly and for towing my horse trailer 1x monthly. I will sometimes be on dirt, but not in off-roading situations.

Is there a reason I'm missing to get the 4x4? Resale value?

KCViper

Reaction score
Resale = 4x4! I don't need 4x4 either, but all my friends who drive trucks said to absolutely get a 4x4....which I did. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Time will tell if I made a solid decision, but needing it only once will be worth it to me....or even for the peace of mind. GL with your decision!

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Highly recommended 4x4 over 4x2. The truck will be 4x2 most of the time regardless anyways, and you never know when you'll need it. I live in an area that requires it. Also a Limited, so long as you're in the US, you'll have air suspension standard and can lower it a little to help fit in the garage. Also, having 4x4 only increases height by .1 inches. A 10th of an inch, 77.6 inches over 77.5 inches in exterior body height. Adding the 4x4 Off-Road Group adds a 1 inch lift on top of that if you get it like mine, but that means only 1 Off-Road Air Suspension Height Setting rather than 2 settings. You want higher MPG: get a smaller axle ratio [3.21 over 3.92], smaller wheels, all-seasons, and if you're like me, the EcoDiesel. Otherwise, a 5.7L Hemi 1500 with all the stuff you get in a Limited, expect 15-17 mpg avg; 4x4 or not; which blows but ya know.

Also, we also pull a horse trailer; but a 1500 is too small for it; my max towing is about 9k lbs on my new 1500 and our horse trailer empty is 10k lbs. It's a 3 horse trailer but we almost always only have 1 horse in it. We pull it with a '20 2500 Big Horn Night Edition 6.4L Hemi V8. Max towing is about 14k lbs. My point is, just keep in mind all the other capacities for your weights: tongue weight, payload, etc. Maybe look into HD's; that is of course if its a larger size trailer. Was also carrying like 20 feed bags in my 1500 the other day and was like 400 lbs overweight; the higher the trim and the more packages, the less stuff you can haul or tow obvi; but 4x4 is still a must imo.

Really recommend the Anti-Slip or Electronic Locking Rear Axle [Now only available as a part of the Off-Road Group and no longer as a standalone option] also.

And yes resale value; at least in my area; of the 17,000 new trucks in my area of all brands and types; 200 are 2WD/RWD only. Not having 4x4 never made any sense to me; why buy a 4x2 truck when you can get a 4x2 Truck with 4x4 capability?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You're going to have to weigh things yourself and decide. Just think of everything and make a wise choice. I see plenty of pros and cons.

According to this website (Open the dimensions tab) for a Limited Crew cab 5'7" box, 4X2 height is 77.5. Same everything but 4X4 is 77.6. I imagine the Offroad Package will boost that an inch or so. If a tenth of an inch makes the difference between clearing the garage door or not, I think you're cutting it too close. The next set of tires may be a tiny bit larger and then what?

The weight works opposite what you'd think. Payload/Trailer weights are 1600 and 8040 for 4X4, 1550 and 8420 for 2WD. Payload is usually what gets used up first. So you might want that extra 50 lbs.

4X4 is not always necessary. I'm reminded when I see these old pictures of CCC crews driving 2WD 1930s pickups with skinny street tires up dirt roads out in the wilderness that nowadays people think requires a Rubicon Wrangler to navigate. On the other hand, it's awfully nice to go right on past the chain controls if you see snow much.

In my experience, four wheel drive doesn't depreciate. When I bought my 1995 Cherokee in 1994, the difference in price was $1500. 25 years and 270,000 miles later, I got that money back. Without the 4WD, nobody would have wanted an old Cherokee except for body parts. Instead I sold it within a day. So if you're the type to keep a vehicle until it's practically junk, it's worth considering.

Horse trailer may not need the front axle the way a boat trailer on a wet ramp will. If you're sure you'll never be pulling anything but the horse trailer, skip it. If you've always dreamed of owning a boat.....

My thoughts and worth every penny you paid for them.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You say you're buying a Limited, but towing a horse trailer. I'd say look at the truck you're getting first. So many people buy a 1500 expecting to tow a 10,000 pound trailer, but they don't realize payload is the limiting factor. Buying a Limited, fully expect sub 1300 pounds for payload.

As far as 4WD, if you are going to take your truck somewhere you wouldn't take a RWD SUV then get it. Also if you encounter snow (you don't show a location), I'd say get it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As said above, with the Limited you get the air suspension that can lower the truck a few inches for entry/exit... this feature works great in parking garages too!

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Highly recommended 4x4 over 4x2. The truck will be 4x2 most of the time regardless anyways, and you never know when you'll need it. I live in an area that requires it. Also a Limited, so long as you're in the US, you'll have air suspension standard and can lower it a little to help fit in the garage. Also, having 4x4 only increases height by .1 inches. A 10th of an inch, 77.6 inches over 77.5 inches in exterior body height. Adding the 4x4 Off-Road Group adds a 1 inch lift on top of that if you get it like mine, but that means only 1 Off-Road Air Suspension Height Setting rather than 2 settings. You want higher MPG: get a smaller axle ratio [3.21 over 3.92], smaller wheels, all-seasons, and if you're like me, the EcoDiesel. Otherwise, a 5.7L Hemi 1500 with all the stuff you get in a Limited, expect 15-17 mpg avg; 4x4 or not; which blows but ya know.

Also, we also pull a horse trailer; but a 1500 is too small for it; my max towing is about 9k lbs on my new 1500 and our horse trailer empty is 10k lbs. It's a 3 horse trailer but we almost always only have 1 horse in it. We pull it with a '20 2500 Big Horn Night Edition 6.4L Hemi V8. Max towing is about 14k lbs. My point is, just keep in mind all the other capacities for your weights: tongue weight, payload, etc. Maybe look into HD's; that is of course if its a larger size trailer. Was also carrying like 20 feed bags in my 1500 the other day and was like 400 lbs overweight; the higher the trim and the more packages, the less stuff you can haul or tow obvi; but 4x4 is still a must imo.

Really recommend the Anti-Slip or Electronic Locking Rear Axle [Now only available as a part of the Off-Road Group and no longer as a standalone option] also.

And yes resale value; at least in my area; of the 17,000 new trucks in my area of all brands and types; 200 are 2WD/RWD only. Not having 4x4 never made any sense to me; why buy a 4x2 truck when you can get a 4x2 Truck with 4x4 capability?

Thanks so much for the great info!

My usual trailer is a 2-horse Brenderup bumper pull - only weighs 2k lbs and has a tongue weight of 150. But in the case of a fire evacuation, I want to be able to tow anything in the parking lot. So the max towing (11,500) will only be used on rare occasions. I was planning on getting 3.92 axle ration to improve towing, but maybe the mpg hit isn't worth it for those occasional emergencies?

SBrentnall

Reaction score
You say you're buying a Limited, but towing a horse trailer. I'd say look at the truck you're getting first. So many people buy a 1500 expecting to tow a 10,000 pound trailer, but they don't realize payload is the limiting factor. Buying a Limited, fully expect sub 1300 pounds for payload.

As far as 4WD, if you are going to take your truck somewhere you wouldn't take a RWD SUV then get it. Also if you encounter snow (you don't show a location), I'd say get it.

Absolutely. I was actually planning on buying a Laramie, but so many options are unavailable on that trim at the moment.

I'll mostly be towing a 2k lbs trailer, but want the extra capacity in case of emergency evacuations. I'm in Los Angeles, and there have been times when we've had to get the horses out fast because of fire. In that situation, I want to be able to pull anything in the parking lot. In an emergency, I don't care too much if I'm slightly overweight.

louscrw

Reaction score
I’ve always had 4x4 trucks, and I can count on 1 hand how many times I’ve actually needed it, but, I continue to buy 4x4 because:
1. Resale value
2. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

One caveat, I’ve always owned a boat as well, so I just about 100% of the time put it in 4HI at the boat ramp. I haven’t towed my boat with the RAM yet, but I’ll utilize auto 4WD at the boat ramp with this truck. Auto 4WD is a nice touch because, as I understand it, the truck stays in 2WD unless it detects 4WD is needed.

If you are concerned about efficiency, I’d stick with the 3.21; however, as I’m sure you’re aware, 3.95 is better for towing.

Also, by all accounts, the ecodiesels have decent fuel economy, maybe look into it. I haven’t done a lot of research, but I’ve always heard city traffic, I.e., short commutes, bumper to bumper traffic, red lights, etc., aren’t always the best for Diesel engines. I’d read up on the diesel forums before committing if that is the kind of daily commuting you do.

jkm312

Reaction score
What have you been using to pull the horse trailer and horses with now? Dirt turns to mud when it rains. Wet grass can be just as nasty as snow and ice. In the times when you have to get out fast, I would rather have the option of an extra drive axel, even if it wasn't needed. I drive in 2x everywhere I go, if I start spinning, then kick in the front axel and I'm on my way. A 4 x 4 will be a better asset when you sell/trade, when that time comes. I just don't see a downside here. I have a Laramie 4 x 4 with a 3.92. I much prefer the way it drives compared to a 3.21. If you pick up a heavier trailer and the horses, you may want to consider a WDH to keep the sway under control better.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the great info!

My usual trailer is a 2-horse Brenderup bumper pull - only weighs 2k lbs and has a tongue weight of 150. But in the case of a fire evacuation, I want to be able to tow anything in the parking lot. So the max towing (11,500) will only be used on rare occasions. I was planning on getting 3.92 axle ration to improve towing, but maybe the mpg hit isn't worth it for those occasional emergencies?
Yeah if you're going to be pulling 6k lbs or less, 3.21 on a 1500 is ok but if you tow a lot (like once a week or a few times a month), go 3.92, even if its only 2k lbs. If you do 6-9k lbs, definitely go 3.92. 3.92 over 3.21 is about a 1-4 mpg hit depending on scenario. As reference, I would never tow more than 10k lbs with a Light Duty Full-Size Half Ton (Aka F-150 or 1500 Equivalent), even if they are rated at 12-14.5k lbs. If you need any more info or have questions, specifically regarding ordering and packages/options, feel free to hit me up.

Glenn54

Reaction score

Any idea if the locking differential can be added by the dealer after delivery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/