5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the used market really this crazy?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I would be patient with the TRX or possibly maybe if you order you. CD an avoid the mark up. I don’t see getting a deal though. But agreed I want a TRX too. Maybe one day
My local dealership just sold a TRX. They had it listed for $1000 less than MSRP (dealership incentives).

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope your right brother. I’m on the highway twice a day during my commute and when I’m flying down the highway I always seem to attract some type of speed challenge and I haven’t had a ram pass me yet. That duramax gets up over 100 real quick. But I’m dropping her off Monday anyway and I’ll be waiting for my 5.7 hemi with etorque

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got quotes for my 2019 Laramie from the usual suspects: Autonation, Caravan, Vroom, and Carmax, plus Mark Dodge (from whom I ordered my 2021 Longhorn). Autonation and Mark Dodge offered the exact same price, which makes Mark Dodge's price better, because of tax advantages.

Still, I thought I might be able to negotiate a bit more out of Autonation based on three things:
  1. A few days after they gave me the first quote, they emailed to say, "Your RAM may be worth more than we thought."
  2. KBB price went up by $1,700 since they made their offer.
  3. I could use the tax advantage as a bargaining chip.
That and I'm slightly paranoid of something happening to my truck between now and delivery, like an accident or asteroid hitting it my driveway (though in that case, I'm dead, so it doesn't really matter).

So today I took it into to the local Autonation. They offered their original amount. I tried bargaining with them using reasons 2 and 3 (honestly, I forgot about reason 1 until I had already left), but they didn't move.

The tax advantage amounts to over $3,000, but I told them I was looking for half that (an additional $1,500 over their offer). That'd save me a from the drive out to Lake Charles (about 700 miles), and I'd have the cash in hand. No dice.

But that's all good, because I've got a great offer from Aaron at Mark Dodge. It's been said before, but Aaron is awesome, everything has been hassle free so far, and I'm confident things will continue to be hassle free right through the end. I negotiated with a local dealer for the order, and now with these dealers for the trade, when I could have just worked exclusively with Aaron on both ends of the deal, and gotten great offers.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I posted elsewhere, I ended up selling to a local(ish; 55 miles away) for $49,000.

Dealer offers I got ranges from under $39,000 to, of course, $49,000. So that answers the question: yes, used car prices really are crazy right now.

For anyone thinking of selling, you may want to try what I ended up doing: I decided to try selling my truck privately, so I posted to Facebook Marketplace. This was free, though I did pay $5 to “promote” my ad. (I also posted to Autotrader for $45, but didn’t get as much of a response that way).

What I learned doing this is that dealers, so in need of inventory, are now looking through Facebook Marketplace looking to buy vehicles to re-sell. If you get a message asking you early on for the VIN, chances are it’s a dealer looking to stock their lot.

So you end up getting offers from multiple dealers competing to buy your vehicle. And it doesn’t take much work on your part; certainly better than driving around and entertaining lowball offers.

Aaron’s still a great guy, and his offer plus tax benefits would still have been the most lucrative (by about $1,000), but this saved me 700 miles of driving, and I’m pleased with the offer I got.

Now just more waiting for my new Ram!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread