5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the standard gas tank on the eTorque Hemi 23 gallons or 26?

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I find that interesting, considering that the standard tank size for the Limited is 26 gallons (23 is not even available on a Limited). I've read that the internals are the same between 26 and 33 gallon tanks, so if the 26 gallon tank truely wasn't available for your Big Horn and was a parts allocation issue I wonder if it was the actual tank itself.
I know there were a lot of part supply issues at that time. One worry was the pano roof supply at the time I ordered, and the LED headlight option wasn't available. Luckily they must have got a big shipment of the glass in, so the pano didn't hold up my order. I only went through building a Big Horn, Laramie and Rebel (knew I wanted the Back Country, but wanted to compare prices vs options).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
one other good question, is why they decided to add a 23 gallons tank??? before it was only 26 or 33, why adding the 23, thats sound more expensive having more choise,

but i cant see the added value/or reason of having the 23gallons vs the 26, other then saving about 30 pounds (13 kilos)of gas when both are full

so was this added due to a shortage of the 26 gallons tank,...
Not sure what you mean with this question regarding 5th gens. The 23 gallon tank has always been a choice since 5th gens first came out. Maybe you're thinking of 4th gens, which only had two choices, 26 and 32 gallons.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean with this question regarding 5th gens. The 23 gallon tank has always been a choice since 5th gens first came out. Maybe you're thinking of 4th gens, which only had two choices, 26 and 32 gallons.
but still the question remains, 4th or 5th gens, whats to gain with the arrival of the 23gal vs the 26gal, why offer a 3 gallons less?? other then to save a few pounds... having more choise is more expensive for them, the 33 vs the 26 there is 7 gallons, so why just a 3 gallons smaller tank... whats to gain by choosing that 23gal thats the question im asking

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
but still the question remains, 4th or 5th gens, whats to gain with the arrival of the 23gal vs the 26gal, why offer a 3 gallons less?? other then to save a few pounds... having more choise is more expensive for them, the 33 vs the 26 there is 7 gallons, so why just a 3 gallons smaller tank... whats to gain by choosing that 23gal thats the question im asking
I totally agree. It doesn't make sense to me either. But I doubt anyone here knows the answer to that one. The 23 gallon tank took me by surprise when I bought my first 5th gen. I didn't even know they were a thing at the time, and the tank size wasn't listed on the window sticker, so I assumed the truck I bought had a 26 gallon tank. I quickly found out it was 23 gallons the first time I fueled up. And it's one of the main reasons I got rid of it when I did.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree. It doesn't make sense to me either. But I doubt anyone here knows the answer to that one. The 23 gallon tank took me by surprise when I bought my first 5th gen. I didn't even know they were a thing at the time, and the tank size wasn't listed on the window sticker, so I assumed the truck I bought had a 26 gallon tank. I quickly found out it was 23 gallons the first time I fueled up. And it's one of the main reasons I got rid of it when I did.
i also doubt it, but wanted to hear what you all think the reason could be, even tho we will probably never know the real reason :)

Jr22

Reaction score
2020 Limited ET with a 6'4 Bed 23 gal tank :cautious:. I am looking to switch to the 33 gal tank very soon

frisby5

Reaction score
2020 Limited ET with a 6'4 Bed 23 gal tank :cautious:. I am looking to switch to the 33 gal tank very soon
Are you doing it yourself or the dealer? Im thinking about switching to 33 i have a 23 g and i go out offroading alot

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found the reasons. Different size by what you order. Got interrupted between finding and posting, but as I remember Bighorn has 23 while Limited has 26 with 4wd but 32 with 2wd. Model, engine, and drive will determine the standard size. In the build and price site, you have to click compare models, then click standard features, then click capacities.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I found the reasons. Different size by what you order. Got interrupted between finding and posting, but as I remember Bighorn has 23 while Limited has 26 with 4wd but 32 with 2wd. Model, engine, and drive will determine the standard size. In the build and price site, you have to click compare models, then click standard features, then click capacities.
my bighorn was 26, ordered a 33 and like it a lot!

BTB123

Reaction score
2023 Ram Rebel Etorque. 23 gallon tank and I’m not happy about it. My Tundra had a 38 gallon tank.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2019 etroque 23 was standard, 26 gallon was a no cost upgrade so of course I ordered the 26.

6of36

Reaction score
my bighorn was 26, ordered a 33 and like it a lot!
It seems to me when I got my 20, the Hemi got the 23, but the 6 got a 26. I got the info the website lists for 23. Like I said though, for the different builds, the site says which tank. I had gotten a phone call between finding the info, and posting, so I couldn't remember all of it. My order also includes the 33, I hate stopping for gas.

23RAM

Reaction score
Up here in the north, 26 is standard with a 27.4 optional (no seriously!). 33 is not available online because our gas prices are so high no one can afford to fill a 33 gallon tank without taking out a line of credit. Welcome to Canaduh, home of the $6-7/gal fill ups = $198-231 fill up...ouch.
:rolleyes:

6of36

Reaction score
Up here in the north, 26 is standard with a 27.4 optional (no seriously!). 33 is not available online because our gas prices are so high no one can afford to fill a 33 gallon tank without taking out a line of credit. Welcome to Canaduh, home of the $6-7/gal fill ups = $198-231 fill up...ouch.
Crazy that there is another difference between Canadian and US trucks like that. No matter how big the tank is, you use the same amount of gas. Other than the maybe .1 MPG due to the weight, but I weigh more than the gas anyway. I would rather have to stop less often, and get longer range on trips.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the 33 gal is available as a option, there is no 27.4 thats a glitch in the system(its 27.4 gal uk , thats 33 gal us)

23RAM

Reaction score
the 33 gal is available as a option, there is no 27.4 thats a glitch in the system(its 27.4 gal uk , thats 33 gal us)
Oh that explains it...makes sense. I'm happy with the standard size anyway...hurts less at the pumps.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread