5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the safety related tech super sensitive and buggy, or is my 21 posessed?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Now that I have spent some time with my new 21 and drove on a longer trip with it to try out all the cool new safety stuff, I gotta say either this tech is very buggy or my truck is possessed

I am wondering if there can be interference from other high tech cars that can throw the sensors (assuming they are sonar or RF in some nature) for a loop.
Some issues I have seen so far:
1. Pulling up to a light right behind a Tesla, I stopped within like 5-8 ft from him maybe. All the sudden I get messages on my dash that my ACC turned off, lane departure turned off, and some other options I cannot recall. I found this really peculiar and first thought was that he had a Radar detector or something else tech wise in his car that threw my sensors off from being too close?

2. About 20-30 min after that I was meeting my ex wife to pick up my kid. I back in next to her Maserati and I started getting messages about park override on the dash, even though I swear I put it in park. (actually not the first time this has happened, so I will keep a closer eye on the knob position to make sure I am not crazy)

3. This morning I was backing out of my driveway. I always back very slow and look around as well as check my 360 cameras. I was fully out on the street and backing up just a little more before putting it in D to pull away and all the sudden my sensors started beeping and the brakes pulsated while still in reverse for the collision detection/assistance. I quick stopped as that freaked me out and did not see anything around me other than my neighbors cars in their driveway, which I will still reasonably far enough away from. I did not do this any differently than any other time I pull out. (They have a Prius and some other newer Toyota that I think is electric coincidentally, just not sure how optioned to know if getting too close to their cars caused the sensors to go batty)

Another random issue is that it seems like the vehicle does not take all the clicks for my remote start the fist time. There is an LED on the keyfob which does not seem to indicate the car starting, but sometimes I need to re punch the button sequence for it to start which is annoying

So. . . . Is this just me? Or has anyone else noticed oddities with their sensors going a little batty?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now that I have spent some time with my new 21 and drove on a longer trip with it to try out all the cool new safety stuff, I gotta say either this tech is very buggy or my truck is possessed

I am wondering if there can be interference from other high tech cars that can throw the sensors (assuming they are sonar or RF in some nature) for a loop.
1. Pulling up to a light right behind a Tesla, I stopped within like 5-8 ft from him maybe. All the sudden I get messages on my dash that my ACC turned off, lane departure turned off, and some other options I cannot recall. I found this really peculiar and first thought was that he had a Radar detector or something else tech wise in his car that threw my sensors off from being too close?

2. About 20-30 min after that I was meeting my ex wife to pick up my kid. I back in next to her Maserati and I started getting messages about park override on the dash, even though I swear I put it in park. (actually not the first time this has happened, so I will keep a closer eye on the knob position to make sure I am not crazy)

3. This morning I was backing out of my driveway. I always back very slow and look around as well as check my 360 cameras. I was fully out on the street and backing up just a little more before putting it in D to pull away and all the sudden my sensors started beeping and the brakes pulsated while still in reverse for the collision detection/assistance. I quick stopped as that freaked me out and did not see anything around me other than my neighbors cars in their driveway, which I will still reasonably far enough away from. I did not do this any differently than any other time I pull out. (They have a Prius and some other newer Toyota that I think is electric coincidentally, just not sure how optioned to know if getting too close to their cars caused the sensors to go batty)

Another random issue is that it seems like the vehicle does not take all the clicks for my remote start the fist time. There is an LED on the keyfob which does not seem to indicate the car starting, but sometimes I need to re punch the button sequence for it to start which is annoying

So. . . . Is this just me? Or has anyone else noticed oddities with their sensors going a little batty?
That’s interesting and I’m curious about this as well . I don’t have all the safety stuff on mine just the rear brake assist which is extremely sensitive .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

1. I can't explain this. My suspicion would be a loose ground. But if that were the case, I wouldn't expect it to happen just once.
  2. Odds are that this is driver error (sorry), but you are right to watch this.
  3. As @Fatherof3 indicated, the reverse collision sensors are extremely sensitive. I've learned to lightly ride the brake when backing up.
  4. If you click too rapidly, the remote start command won't go through. And I'll have to test this, but I feel like I've also canceled remote start by clicking too many times. If I just click twice, patiently, it works every time. We discussed the fob LED a couple of years ago...I think the consensus was that it's just a one-way fob (indicating when you press it, but not indicating a response).
Let us know if you later determine that there's a malfunction in your truck, or if it's just a series of coincidences / comedy of errors. Good luck!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.
Now I know the rear detection is sensative, so that answers that alteast. I feel I do ride the brakes enough in reverse, but maybe i didnt today.
Now I know on the button clicks too quick for remote start as well. I am willing to bet that is the case and seems logical. I have built the habit of quick clicks from my other cars. I guess this one is a little more sensative.

I will need to keep an eye on the other scenarios as these were the stranger ones.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Is there a way to disable auto braking for the rear while keeping front auto emergency braking and the rear sonar sensor audible alert?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a way to disable auto braking for the rear while keeping front auto emergency braking and the rear sonar sensor audible alert?
On my Big Horn there is an option on the Uconnect screen under 'settings' to turn off rear automatic braking (the sensors are unaffected). Don't know if this item is separate or not for trucks with the front braking/collision alert since I don't have that. I assume they would be separate.

I turned off my rear braking soon after buying the truck. It was way too sensitive. A small dip in my driveway would set it off nearly every time and that got old real fast.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

On my Big Horn there is an option on the Uconnect screen under 'settings' to turn off rear automatic braking (the sensors are unaffected). Don't know if this item is separate or not for trucks with the front braking/collision alert since I don't have that. I assume they would be separate.

I turned off my rear braking soon after buying the truck. It was way too sensitive. A small dip in my driveway would set it off nearly every time and that got old real fast.

Yes, it is a separate option from the front collision and rear sensor alerts, all through the 12"/8.4" screen options.

PM-Performance

Reaction score

interesting on the dip in your driveway causing that to go crazy. I did not even realize there was a rear detection until this morning.
If it is a continuous problem, i will look into disabling it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
  1. If you click too rapidly, the remote start command won't go through. And I'll have to test this, but I feel like I've also canceled remote start by clicking too many times. If I just click twice, patiently, it works every time.

I think you hit it squarely. I've tested it and if you press the remote start button three times in quick succession, it appears to cancel the remote start command.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to keep the rear back up sensor off because of the grade of my driveway. I usually have it off all the time, been that way for 10,000 miles. I turn my front one off too when it snows a bunch just because it gets wonky. Some of these tech related advancements are great for some people but can be gremlins for others. One time I was backing my truck in a pasture up close to some horses to load some gear on them and there was a little bush I was backing over and it set off the rear collision causing my truck to brake instantly and it scared the crap out of the horses....and me!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I have to keep the rear back up sensor off because of the grade of my driveway. I usually have it off all the time, been that way for 10,000 miles. I turn my front one off too when it snows a bunch just because it gets wonky. Some of these tech related advancements are great for some people but can be gremlins for others. One time I was backing my truck in a pasture up close to some horses to load some gear on them and there was a little bush I was backing over and it set off the rear collision causing my truck to brake instantly and it scared the crap out of the horses....and me!
Thanks for the advice. Yea I have had it scare me on both the front and rear. The front was legit trigger though , but sure did scare me. lol
I have heard the sensors go wonky with snow and dirt. Mine is not that dirty yet as only a week old, but I guess I need to keep up with cleaning more on this one

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Yea I have had it scare me on both the front and rear. The front was legit trigger though , but sure did scare me. lol
I have heard the sensors go wonky with snow and dirt. Mine is not that dirty yet as only a week old, but I guess I need to keep up with cleaning more on this one
I know exactly what you mean! The first time it happened I thought I was going to need a difibulator.

When impacted by snow or ice I usually get a message in the cluster to clean the sensors off which gives me advance warning.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

Ranchostarvo

Reaction score
I disabled my rear brake check for backing up. My driveway is at an angle and it thinks I'm backing up into a car every time. I keep the sensor on, just the brake assist off.

Awood05

Reaction score
I’ve had mine jar to a stop when backing into a parking spot on the edge of a parking lot. It seems to be sensitive enough to pick up on the grass or a bush or something. My Limited has disable buttons below the 12” screen. If it starts beeping, and I get the feeling it is going to engage, I disable the sensors with the buttons for that parking sequence.

I haven‘t really had any of the other issues that you mention. However I will say the remote start sequence with my RAM is different than the Fords I’ve had so it’s taken some getting used to. Not a fan of the lack of LED feedback with the fob, but oh well...

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I’ve had mine jar to a stop when backing into a parking spot on the edge of a parking lot. It seems to be sensitive enough to pick up on the grass or a bush or something. My Limited has disable buttons below the 12” screen. If it starts beeping, and I get the feeling it is going to engage, I disable the sensors with the buttons for that parking sequence.

I haven‘t really had any of the other issues that you mention. However I will say the remote start sequence with my RAM is different than the Fords I’ve had so it’s taken some getting used to. Not a fan of the lack of LED feedback with the fob, but oh well...
The thing is there is an LED on the keyfob though interestingly enough. Not entirely sure what it is for since it does not confirm the vehicle is started.
I have tried slower 2x press and still sometimes it does not start. It is very picky for sure

Users who are viewing this thread