5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the regular hemi still an option?

HAL9001

Reaction score
Yes. If we ignore the 48v battery pack fires we've seen and the fact that the MGU was $1,400 last I checked, probably $2k in today's money, and the fact that it has start/stop which some believe is detrimental to the long term health of the engine, and the fact that this also requires two batteries to maintain, then there's nothing wrong with it.

The non-hybrid Hemi was desirable for this very reason. It has none of this stuff to worry about in the future. Can you revert eTorque to non-eTorque? Sure...for lots of $$$.
I haven't heard of any widespread issues concerning any of this, if there were, we would have heard about it by now. In any case, all those components are covered under an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty.

Why stop with the e-torque components? The 5th Gen has a lot more tech than the Classic that can go wrong, and the 6th Gen will likely have even more. If anyone is going to be a Luddite, then any of these newer generation trucks aren't for you. Currently, the 5th Gen has a far better reputation for reliability over the Classic, with or without e-torque. So, if your plan is to avoid problems by going low tech, then that's not going to work.

1664371729827.png
1664371775423.png

Last edited:

monza2t

Reaction score
I turned down an e-torqure and if it was the only option I would have gone elsewhere.
I am thankful I got a non e-torque everyday

Im just curious what you would have bought then? Classic? HD?

HAL9001

Reaction score
Main truck battery. Likely totally unrelated but I find it odd the battery issues all started when eTorque was introduced. Before 2019 I never heard of batteries dying prematurely.
Battery issues are common with a lot of newer vehicles, I had the same problem on my new SUV. This is because OE batteries are not the best and newer vehicles are taxing them more than ever before with more and more electrical components and higher parasitic drains. Vehicle manufacturers can fix this by installing better OE batteries with a higher Reserve Capacity, but such batteries tend to cost more so they are resisting it.

It has nothing to do with e-torque. If anything, the e-torque's 48 Volt battery helps with the overall electrical load on these vehicles.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I was going to buy the last hemi-only but obviously I missed it, darn. I do not want e-torque for my own reasons. I will now wait for at least 2 years of the hurricane. It better not have *** or I'm running my old trucks way longer than I usually do.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I turned down an e-torqure and if it was the only option I would have gone elsewhere...
Well, that would have been a shame because, despite all the undeserved derogatory comments about it, it's not been a problem for the vast majority of people owning it. E-torque is a non-issue, it's just another newer tech option like the 12" display. A lot of you don't like that either but a lot of us do.

Your user id is "bigdodge", so apparently you like RAMs, but you're saying you would have gone over to Ford or GM simply if RAMs had only e-torques?? That would have been a deciding factor? Like GM and Ford don't have far worse issues.

Look, we get it, some of you don't like the idea of a mild hybrid. That's fine, but don't try to turn it into a major issue when it's actually been reliable.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Well, that would have been a shame because, despite all the undeserved derogatory comments about it, it's not been a problem for the vast majority of people owning it. E-torque is a non-issue, it's just another newer tech option like the 12" display. A lot of you don't like that either but a lot of us do.

Your user id is "bigdodge", so apparently you like RAMs, but you're saying you would have gone over to Ford or GM simply if RAMs had only e-torques?? That would have been a deciding factor? Like GM and Ford don't have far worse issues.

Look, we get it, some of you don't like the idea of a mild hybrid. That's fine, but don't try to turn it into a major issue when it's actually been reliable.
an internet search found this

but I am not going to search more for you, I did that before I got the 1500
as far as going to gm or ford that was answered above

monza2t

Reaction score
The 5th Gen has a lot more tech than the Classic that can go wrong,

This was exactly my thoughts. 5th gen has active noise cancellation, active vibration dampening, active air-dam, active grille shutters, lots of them have 12" screens, motorized side steps, heated/cooled seats, the list goes on and on. But eTorque is the thorn in people sides.

And when I saw the Consumer Reports data a few months ago I was actually surprised the Classic rated so low on reliability, goes against the conventional wisdom of "simpler is more reliable", and "its been built so long they worked out the bugs"

HAL9001

Reaction score
an internet search found this

but I am not going to search more for you, I did that before I got the 1500
as far as going to gm or ford that was answered above
This is not a serious automotive news article, it's just an advertisement from some ambulance chaser lawyer trying to drum up business. They do that for almost everything they can think of.

E-torque has been around for several years now on tens of thousands of vehicles. If there were any serious issues with it, this would have been widely reported here and on the other RAM forum by now. Especially with all of the e-torque threads which have mostly been just minor gripes about how it works and thus far baseless worries about its reliability. Vehicle owner forums are the best source of finding out virtually all problems concerning any vehicle where owners will report even the slightest and the rarest of issues. If e-torque problems were prevalent, you can be certain that they would be splattered all over the RAM forums by now.

Again, it's fine and understandable not to like or want certain features on a vehicle, but it's not right to make an issue out of something that has not proven to be a problem. There are a lot of e-torque owners here, there's no justification to give them concern about their trucks without due cause just because you may not like a certain feature.

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
This was exactly my thoughts. 5th gen has active noise cancellation, active vibration dampening, active air-dam, active grille shutters, lots of them have 12" screens, motorized side steps, heated/cooled seats, the list goes on and on. But eTorque is the thorn in people sides.

And when I saw the Consumer Reports data a few months ago I was actually surprised the Classic rated so low on reliability, goes against the conventional wisdom of "simpler is more reliable", and "its been built so long they worked out the bugs"
Exactly. If you're a Luddite, these new trucks are not for you.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I was going to buy the last hemi-only but obviously I missed it, darn. I do not want e-torque for my own reasons. I will now wait for at least 2 years of the hurricane. It better not have *** or I'm running my old trucks way longer than I usually do.
The new Hurricane is an ultra high-tech six-cylinder engine with twin turbos that will attempt to squeeze every last HP out of it. It's going to be far more complex and technical than the simple, proven naturally aspirated 5.7 Hemi with or without e-torque. How is that less worrisome than the comparatively simple e-torque?

If e-torque worries you, then the Hurricane is going to give you nightmares.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Count me as someone who doesn’t favor eTorque, but not because I am anti hybrid or have reliability concerns. There’s plenty on any modern vehicle to cause reliability concerns.

What I don’t like about eTorque is it doesn’t seem to have any real world benefit. The best arguments folks have come up with is “well it’s gotta do something or else Ram wouldn’t have created it.”

So in my mind all it does is reduce payload and eliminate the option of aftermarket subwoofer or storage behind the back seat. The only reliability issue I’d even be mildly concerned with is if the truck also has the rear window leak.

If it tangibly added power and/or I could tap into the electricity I’d be all over it like white on rice. A V8 hybrid would certainly be unique and offer best of both the worlds that matter to me in a truck.

Coming from an EcoBoost after years of v8s, the “eco” portion of new downsized turbo engines in heavy machinery is very much a myth that exists only on paper and the EPA’s unrealistic test cycle. Pairing a v8 - particularly a smaller aluminum block one with port and direct injection - with a hybrid setup would provide better real world mpg.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Count me as someone who doesn’t favor eTorque, but not because I am anti hybrid or have reliability concerns. There’s plenty on any modern vehicle to cause reliability concerns.

What I don’t like about eTorque is it doesn’t seem to have any real world benefit. The best arguments folks have come up with is “well it’s gotta do something or else Ram wouldn’t have created it.”

So in my mind all it does is reduce payload and eliminate the option of aftermarket subwoofer or storage behind the back seat. The only reliability issue I’d even be mildly concerned with is if the truck also has the rear window leak.

If it tangibly added power and/or I could tap into the electricity I’d be all over it like white on rice. A V8 hybrid would certainly be unique and offer best of both the worlds that matter to me in a truck.

Coming from an EcoBoost after years of v8s, the “eco” portion of new downsized turbo engines in heavy machinery is very much a myth that exists only on paper and the EPA’s unrealistic test cycle. Pairing a v8 - particularly a smaller aluminum block one with port and direct injection - with a hybrid setup would provide better real world mpg.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. If we ignore the 48v battery pack fires we've seen and the fact that the MGU was $1,400 last I checked, probably $2k in today's money, and the fact that it has start/stop which some believe is detrimental to the long term health of the engine, and the fact that this also requires two batteries to maintain, then there's nothing wrong with it.

The non-hybrid Hemi was desirable for this very reason. It has none of this stuff to worry about in the future. Can you revert eTorque to non-eTorque? Sure...for lots of $$$.
I'm gonna need to see some proof there. I haven't heard of or seen anything of the sort with any etorque vehicle.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks... i believe the point of the op was he would like to have the option to choose and unfortunately right now you can't.
Exactly. All this argument for justifying eTorque is pointless. Not having a choice is disappointing and is a valid concern. Not everybody wants to subject themselves to the hybrid or EV hype but unfortunately all vehicle manufacturers are now forcing us into it.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Exactly. All this argument for justifying eTorque is pointless. Not having a choice is disappointing and is a valid concern. Not everybody wants to subject themselves to the hybrid or EV hype but unfortunately all vehicle manufacturers are now forcing us into it.
No one is trying to justify e-torque here, however some were criticizing it, and that is equally pointless as well as unfounded. There is nothing wrong with e-torque overall, whether anyone likes it or not.

I have no problem with getting to choose the options we want, that is a perfectly fair point.

brewdad

Reaction score
I ordered my Limited in May while the standard Hemi was still available. It has only 750 miles but so far none of the new truck issues. I was surprised how smooth & quiet the Falken A/T tires are. I had planned to tow a trailer around 8,000 pounds, but things have changed and I will not be buying a trailer so I don't need a large truck. I am selling my Limited for what I paid including taxes & dealer fees which is $71,600.00. The MSRP is $76,640.00.

Users who are viewing this thread