5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the regular hemi still an option?

RedFred

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on if the standard hemi without e-torque is going to be an available option on the 2023 1500. Anyone know if you can get the hemi without e-torque for 23 models?

Derek916

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on if the standard hemi without e-torque is going to be an available option on the 2023 1500. Anyone know if you can get the hemi without e-torque for 23 models?
No, you cannot.

RedFred

Reaction score
Doesn't look like it's an option on the 1500. :cry:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope. I've decided it's a conspiracy. If Ram only offers the Hemi in a configuration many people don't want, it will become less popular, resulting in buyers selecting a more fuel efficient 6 cylinder, thus allowing bean counters and tree-huggers to justify phasing it out... ;)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. I've decided it's a conspiracy. If Ram only offers the Hemi in a configuration many people don't want, it will become less popular, resulting in buyers selecting a more fuel efficient 6 cylinder, thus allowing bean counters and tree-huggers to justify phasing it out... ;)
787C3A49-F680-4F63-B3FF-803BC74014CC.jpeg

HAL9001

Reaction score
Oh c'mon. There's nothing wrong with the e-torque version. Thousands of us have it and it works just fine. Any issues have been way overblown in forums, as is often the case.

I can see why someone might not want it, but it's such a minor thing that no one should be upset or change/cancel their plans if it weren't an option.

If you don't like it, there are ways to disable it, but unless you're really fussy, you barely even know it's there, it operates very smoothly. The vast majority of people have no problems with it at all. Even if you did, it's covered under the Federal Emission Warranty for eight years/80,000 miles.

monza2t

Reaction score
Oh c'mon. There's nothing wrong with the e-torque version. Thousands of us have it and it works just fine. Any issues have been way overblown in forums, as is often the case.

I can see why someone might not want it, but it's such a minor thing that no one should be upset or change/cancel their plans if it weren't an option.

If you don't like it, there are ways to disable it, but unless you're really fussy, you barely even know it's there, it operates very smoothly. The vast majority of people have no problems with it at all. Even if you did, it's covered under the Federal Emission Warranty for eight years/80,000 miles.

This. It's very unobtrusive. Plus i'm getting 19-20mpg in my mixed driving.

All of us should be glad there is still a Hemi. That day is coming when the Hurricane 6 replaces it all together.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I suspect that for many, it's not that all hemi's will now be etorque, but that they took away one more choice we used to have. I've had two etorque Hemi's, and had zero problems with either. But then again, I didn't own either one very long. Adding an autostop eliminator took away the biggest issue I had with the system.

Having said that, I'm wondering how many of the people complaining about this would have still bought a 5th gen if there had never been a non etorque Hemi from the start of the 5th gen production. My guess is that there would have been a lot more Classics purchased LOL.

monza2t

Reaction score
Having said that, I'm wondering how many of the people complaining about this would have still bought a 5th gen if there had never been a non etorque Hemi from the start of the 5th gen production. My guess is that there would have been a lot more Classics purchased LOL.

I know there are those that just wouldn't buy one with e-Torque, but really how many wouldn't buy a 5th Gen just because of this? I wouldn't think its too many. And where you going to go? the Classic has it's days numbered and I wouldn't think many would be going to GM or Ford, those all have start-stop also (well temporarily both are selling some without blaming it on chip shortage). I suppose you can just get a 2500/3500.

I've been on messageboards (and USENET before messageboards) long enough to remember the kicking and screaming about fuel injection, or then shortly after that when ABS was added. Endless arguments about daytime running lights!, "Nanny" systems like traction control and stability control... Time goes on and new features / tech get incorporated and in the end we all forget that we hated that stuff when it came out.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree, I’ve had several other issues with the new rams, but 2 with etorque, no issues with that system that I know of!

Dewey

Reaction score
I agree, I’ve had several other issues with the new rams, but 2 with etorque, no issues with that system that I know of!
Except for batteries mysteriously dying after 2-3 years. I never heard of that before eTorque and question if that’s somehow contributing to it in some odd way.🤔

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Except for batteries mysteriously dying after 2-3 years. I never heard of that before eTorque and question if that’s somehow contributing to it in some odd way.🤔
The etorque battery or the main truck battery or both? But yes it could have something to do with it I guess!

Dewey

Reaction score
The etorque battery or the main truck battery or both? But yes it could have something to do with it I guess!
Main truck battery. Likely totally unrelated but I find it odd the battery issues all started when eTorque was introduced. Before 2019 I never heard of batteries dying prematurely.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I know there are those that just wouldn't buy one with e-Torque, but really how many wouldn't buy a 5th Gen just because of this? I wouldn't think its too many. And where you going to go?
I turned down an e-torqure and if it was the only option I would have gone elsewhere.
I am thankful I got a non e-torque everyday

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes. If we ignore the 48v battery pack fires we've seen and the fact that the MGU was $1,400 last I checked, probably $2k in today's money, and the fact that it has start/stop which some believe is detrimental to the long term health of the engine, and the fact that this also requires two batteries to maintain, then there's nothing wrong with it.

The non-hybrid Hemi was desirable for this very reason. It has none of this stuff to worry about in the future. Can you revert eTorque to non-eTorque? Sure...for lots of $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread