5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the regular hemi still an option?

HAL9001

Reaction score
This is an old recall dated 2019. Owners were notified and the problem was fixed. The issue was simply an incorrect assembly repair process and has been rectified. It is not a design or operational issue with e-torque. It looks as though only a few vehicles out of tens of thousands were affected. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

My 2021 RAM was delivered with loose bolts on the driveshaft. Manufacturing assembly issues like this happen all the time, that doesn't mean the drivetrain is defective.

Again, if there were any serious prevalent issues with e-torque it would be all over this forum.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no mention of a fire actually happening, just the possibility of one. There's a big difference between the two. Do you have anything that actually shows a 48v battery fire has happened?

I'm no fan of the system, even though I owned two trucks with it. I learned to live with it, but I'd prefer to not have it. The 2020 Limited we have now is a non etorque Hemi, and we plan to keep it for a long time.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
There is no mention of a fire actually happening, just the possibility of one. There's a big difference between the two. Do you have anything that actually shows a 48v battery fire has happened?

I'm no fan of the system, even though I owned two trucks with it. I learned to live with it, but I'd prefer to not have it. The 2020 Limited we have now is a non etorque Hemi, and we plan to keep it for a long time.
why not search yourself?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
This is an old recall dated 2019. Owners were notified and the problem was fixed. The issue was simply an incorrect assembly repair process and has been rectified. It is not a design or operational issue with e-torque. It looks as though only a few vehicles out of tens of thousands were affected. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

My 2021 RAM was delivered with loose bolts on the driveshaft. Manufacturing assembly issues like this happen all the time, that doesn't mean the drivetrain is defective.

Again, if there were any serious prevalent issues with e-torque it would be all over this forum.
you just will not give up, will you
enjoy your e-torque
I won't because I do not have it!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The eTorque drivability issues are quite prevelant here. Do some searching and it’s quite obvious the system isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. That’s why so many including myself added an AutoStop Eliminator. Problem solved.

If I had to do my order over again I would have ordered non-eTorque. I fell for the hype at the get go. I tried a few weeks later after ordering to change but unfortunately was too late to make the change.

I gave eTorque an honest test and with my driving habits there is absolutely zero Increase in MPG with my truck using the system. It’s just another gimmick like AFM in all my Chevy’s I owned previously. It’s only a feel good marketing scheme to make it appear they’re doing they’re part to save the planet.

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

HAL9001

Reaction score
The eTorque drivability issues are quite prevelant here. Do some searching and it’s quite obvious the system isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. That’s why so many including myself added an AutoStop Eliminator. Problem solved.

If I had to do my order over again I would have ordered non-eTorque. I fell for the hype at the get go. I tried a few weeks later after ordering to change but unfortunately was too late to make the change.

I gave eTorque an honest test and with my driving habits there is absolutely zero Increase in MPG with my truck using the system. It’s just another gimmick like AFM in all my Chevy’s I owned previously. It’s only a feel good marketing scheme to make it appear they’re doing they’re part to save the planet.
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I like my e-torque and would definitely buy it again. I have no problem with the drivability and appreciate the minor fuel savings, extra torque, and especially the glass smooth shifting it provides. I've never owned a vehicle with smoother shifting. Many others have stated that they feel the same way here, so I don't think the negatives are prevalent at all, and there are no significant reliability issues with it.

Some like it, some don't. To each his own, that's all I'm trying to say.

It's the same with a lot of options. I don't like the foldout bed step. I never use it and took it off the truck because I feel it's a waste of available payload. But I don't tell people it's terrible, useless, and has reliability issues because it doesn't. I just don't happen to like it, but I can understand and appreciate that others might. We're all entitled to our opinion.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry didn't mean to derail. Just thought my hesitations around eTorque were slightly different from the usual protests.

Though if the topic is simply whether it is better to have more choices or less choices, it's hard to imagine many would favor fewer choices...?

I do keep reminding myself.... "At least they still HAVE the Hemi!".

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
why not search yourself?
You alluded to there possibly being more instances (not that the link you provided was an instance) of fires happening with the etorque battery. So I just asked if you had more. I'm not interested enough to throw away time searching for something that hasn't happened, especially since we no longer own a truck with etorque. I've been an active member here for almost three years. If fires had happened we'd have heard something about it by now.

Michael_D

Reaction score
My 2019 had the E-torque. I did not like it. So much so, I bought a widget to remember the disable auto start/stop function, verse having to push the button every time I start the truck. This worked out well, but the device would often forget to do what I asked it to do, so it was not a perfect solution.

I would periodically enable the auto stop/start feature, to see if I might change my mind and use it more often, but would always disable it once again after allowing it to do its thing a few times. I can't remember the number of times I would have to fumble around restarting the truck at a green light while folks behind me were laying on the horn because the auto start didn't start the engine and I was stuck frantically hitting the start button, putting the truck back into drive, etc..... Maybe my truck was an exception, maybe not. Doesn't matter, it's gone, and good riddance. I specifically ordered my new truck, a 2022 limited, without the E-torque.

I have roughly 1500 miles on the new truck. The average gas mileage is nearly identical to the last truck. I live in a rural area and do not spend much time waiting for a stop light. So the start/stop feature probably does not play a part in the formula much, but having said that, gas mileage is the same so far. Shifting is very similar. I cannot say with any amount of certainty whether the e-torque made shifting smoother or not. Both trucks feel exactly the same to me. Lower rpm torque is also simular. I cannot say with any confidence that one truck feels different than the other.

I like not worrying about the extra "tech" the E-torque adds, extra wear parts, increased things to fail, etc. I find it unfortunate that the truck cannot be ordered without this feature. If you like it, good for you. But there are compelling reasons to not like it.

Dewey

Reaction score
Shifting is very similar. I cannot say with any amount of certainty whether the e-torque made shifting smoother or not. Both trucks feel exactly the same to me. Lower rpm torque is also simular. I cannot say with any confidence that one truck feels different than the other.
Agree. I never got the smoother shifting with eTorque comments. If anything I feel the shifts were way better on my last two noneTorque trucks. They had positive smooth shifts. This version has a slushy feel to the shifts especially at high rpm’s and I hate it. Actually feels like it slips into the next gear instead of a good instant shift I would rather feel. I think if this is a result of eTorque it actually made everything worse.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The most annoying part of eTorque for me is the regenerative braking. I suppose you eventually get used to it, but during my two eTorque test drives, that's the first thing I noticed. The auto stop/start didn't bother me like it does in my wife's car and I could see it being beneficial in heavy stop and go traffic, but it would be nice if you could disable it with a one-time push of a button.

I don't buy the smoother shifting propaganda from Ram either. The ZF transmission is perfectly smooth shifting as is. Anybody claiming they can notice one being smoother than the other is likely just a placebo effect.

ChrisID

Reaction score
The new Hurricane is an ultra high-tech six-cylinder engine with twin turbos that will attempt to squeeze every last HP out of it. It's going to be far more complex and technical than the simple, proven naturally aspirated 5.7 Hemi with or without e-torque. How is that less worrisome than the comparatively simple e-torque?

If e-torque worries you, then the Hurricane is going to give you nightmares.
It doesn't worry me. I get a new truck about every 3-4 years. I have zero need for e-torque as 90% of my driving is over 50mph, so why add complexity/weight if I don't have to, and I had the choice for my 20 and 21. So on my next truck I have to chose between e-torque and a I6 TT, that I trade in at 50-60K miles. I will enjoy my two 5.7's and wait to see how the new I6 does.
Personally, I would much rather own, continue to own, the older school NA, non-direct injected 5.7. And they could even remove the multi cylinder thing. 2-5mpg means nothing to me. I bet my eventually new I6 TT will get worse mpg than my current 5.7 the way I use it. But If I can get the HD version that may be fun.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

newsflash too...the planet is NOT EVER going to choke or explode on vehicle emissions. Bravo to the people that were the first to come up with the scam and get rich off it.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I'm disappointed they stopped offering non Etorque hemi's even for orders. I missed the boat on ordering a 22 and now I'm considering going to a 2500 or a different brand. I understand many enjoy the Etorque and haven't have any problems however there are some of us out here that don't want to be forced into it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I'm disappointed they stopped offering non Etorque hemi's even for orders. I missed the boat on ordering a 22 and now I'm considering going to a 2500 or a different brand. I understand many enjoy the Etorque and haven't have any problems however there are some of us out here that don't want to be forced into it.
not fair when our choice is taken away
if it was me I would get the 2500

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I work on these trucks every day. My truck is etorque, there are very few issues with them. It's a low failure system, replaced 1 MGU for a noise complaint and 1 48v battery for an internal ecu fault.

My previous BTS without etorque with same gear ratio got 2mpg less than my current truck with etorque. I can't explain it

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
I think you could substitute "COVID vaccine" for "eTorque Hemi" and feel right at home.

Users who are viewing this thread