5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the look worth the rough ride?

Should I keep it lifted or put it back to stock?

• Keep it lifted?

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Put it back to stock?

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Trvaleri

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited Longhorn that I lifted and added tires/wheels. The lift is 3.5" in the front and 2" in the back and the wheels are Hostile 22" x 12" with 12.5" x 22" x 33" Toyo AT 3 tires. The truck looks beautiful, as you can see, but the ride is terrible at freeway speeds. I'm seriously considering putting it back to stock. I'm interested in your thoughts. Is serious ride quality compromise worth the look?

If it matters, I'm 58 y/o, this is not my daily driver, it is driven 99% on the road, and will see some snow at my mountain home in the winter.

Attachments

• Stock.jpeg
    Stock.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 398
  • Lifted.jpeg
    Lifted.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 401
  • C035C75F-68D2-4A00-8676-B8F2C96CC587.jpeg
    C035C75F-68D2-4A00-8676-B8F2C96CC587.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 332

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Unfortunately that is a side effect of the 3.5" lift. If you like the look and size of tires there are some 3" lifts and 4" lifts that still retain most of the factory ride. But, they will cost considerably more.
The 3.5" lift uses a preload spacer and a top hat spacer to get it's lift. Both of these items combined make for an uncomfortable ride.

Trvaleri

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is a side effect of the 3.5" lift. If you like the look and size of tires there are some 3" lifts and 4" lifts that still retain most of the factory ride. But, they will cost considerably more.
The 3.5" lift uses a preload spacer and a top hat spacer to get it's lift. Both of these items combined make for an uncomfortable ride.
I’m ignorant on all of this. What kind of lift would retain most of the factory ride?

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited Longhorn that I lifted and added tires/wheels. The lift is 3.5" in the front and 2" in the back and the wheels are Hostile 22" x 12" with 12.5" x 22" x 33" Toyo AT 3 tires. The truck looks beautiful, as you can see, but the ride is terrible at freeway speeds. I'm seriously considering putting it back to stock. I'm interested in your thoughts. Is serious ride quality compromise worth the look?

If it matters, I'm 58 y/o, this is not my daily driver, it is driven 99% on the road, and will see some snow at my mountain home in the winter.
Too me it’s all about the ride. Looks come second.
This is the reason I chose a truck with air suspension.

Cheers,

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I’m ignorant on all of this. What kind of life would retain most of the factory ride?
100% switch over to the 4" zone lift with the upgraded Fox shocks option if money is not an issue! Zone and BDS are the same company and both offer close to stock ride. The BDS cost a little more but is not worth the extra cost if you're not planning on doing any hardcore offroading. You will be MORE than happy with the ride quality of the 4" Zone kit.

Sweet truck man! I have the same exact truck only in Billet Silver

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

aimlowrobin

Reaction score

What lift did you use? I've had a few 6 inch lifts, a couple levels, and one with the 3.5 readylift. None had rough rides.

mriley8683

Reaction score
Before spending money it might be worth putting the stock wheels tires on 1st with the current lift. Might be surprised to see what a difference the wheels/tires make.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, It looks great but that is the main reason I left my truck at stock height and just changed the tires and wheels.

Did not want to compromise the handling and comfort of ride and most importantly the MPG.

Luisqs22

Reaction score
I just picked mine up after having the 5in rough country lift installed. Ton of lights and messages on the dash. (Service air suspension system, ride mode not available, 4wd temporarily unavailable)
I've been told it could be because the alignment is so off at first. Any ideas?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just picked mine up after having the 5in rough country lift installed. Ton of lights and messages on the dash. (Service air suspension system, ride mode not available, 4wd temporarily unavailable)
I've been told it could be because the alignment is so off at first. Any ideas?
There are height sensors that are a key part of the air suspension that may be creating your issues if you raised your truck 5". There are sensors that you can buy that will allow for the adjustment and work with your vehicle to resolve your problem.

Luisqs22

Reaction score
There are height sensors that are a key part of the air suspension that may be creating your issues if you raised your truck 5". There are sensors that you can buy that will allow for the adjustment and work with your vehicle to resolve your problem.
I had added the Revel Links prior to lift install and had no issues.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score

You have a Longhorn, but is it coil spring or air ride? I'm guessing you have coil springs and went with the 3.5 Readylift kit? If so that's your problem. Do some research on it and you'll see why. I have a 6" Fabtech kit, it's a spacer lift not coilover replacement. It rides fantastic. But it has new knuckles that keep the stock control arms right where they are supposed to be. I would go up to 2" on a "budget" kit, any more than that opt for a real lift kit or coilover replacements. Truck looks fantastic by the way.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always lifted or leveled every truck I've had plus put bigger tires and wheels on it. With this new 2021 I just picked up, I'm leaving it stock as far as the suspension and wheel setup goes to retain the smooth factory ride. Throwing that out there for what it's worth.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I have a 6” RC lift with vertex coil overs and vertex rear adjustable shocks, running 35x12.50 ridge grapplers on 20x12 -44 wheels, hellwig sway bar on my 2020 Laramie. The ride is fantastic I would have to say better than stock it’s smooth and drives straight. It’s been lifted since January 2021 and I rotate the tires every 4000k miles. I think that good coil overs make all the difference. C06E78C3-B24D-40E6-A800-C3D77B378008.jpeg

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I have always lifted or leveled every truck I've had plus put bigger tires and wheels on it. With this new 2021 I just picked up, I'm leaving it stock as far as the suspension and wheel setup goes to retain the smooth factory ride. Throwing that out there for what it's worth.
I said/did the same exact thing. After about 6 months of looking at those puny stock tires and that rake I couldn't take it. Leveled with new control arms and tires. That was on my 19. Good luck to you! ha.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I said/did the same exact thing. After about 6 months of looking at those puny stock tires and that rake I couldn't take it. Leveled with new control arms and tires. That was on my 19. Good luck to you! ha.
On my BTS edition, it came with the factory 1" lift and Wildpeak ATs. Which actually look good and perform well. I may be able to hold out and not lift this truck lol

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Should be able to have the best of both. I agree with others that your current setup makes for a bad ride. From what I read fox coilovers are great. I have the Mopar 2" lift with added front orp springs, and I have no complaints about the ride. Even on E rated nittos.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online