5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Limited Less Expensive Than the Laramie Longhorn?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I configured a truck with the same features as a Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Limited.

From a styling standpoint, I prefer the Longhorn. I didn't include the off-road group because it loses the normal ride height, although it includes the hill descent and is less expensive than individual items. The Protection Grp and Electrically-Locking diff are included. I didn't include the trailer towing package because it loses the surround camera. The brake trailer controller is included.

The deployable step isn't there because the configurator makes it conflict with the protection group, although it can be configured with the off-road package which includes the protection group. The Multifunction Tailgate similarly can't be configured except on a black truck without RamBoxes. Even though it was introduced on a red truck with Ramboxes. Both would be added and are the same price on. all models.

Even fully equipped, the Laramie is missing a few features, such as the hi/lo LED headlights.

Similarly equipped, the Laramie is $68,355, the Longhorn is $71,475, and the Limited is $69,980.

Did I make an error or is the Limited $1495 less than the Longhorn and only $1625 more than the Laramie?

OptionCodeLimitedLonghornLaramie
5.7L Hemi eTorque EngineEZL$2,645$2,645$2,645
Electronic-Locking Rear AxleDSH$545$545$545
3.92 Rear Axle RatioDMH$95$95$95
4-Corner Air SuspensionSER$- $1,795$1,795
33 Gallon Fuel TankNFF$445$445$445
Level 1 Equip GrpA69$2,995
Level 1 Equip GrpA68$3,895
Level 2 Equip GrpA67$4,595
Protection GrpADB$395$395$395
Advanced Safety GroupALP$1,695$1,695
Body-Color BumperALN$195
Bed Utility GrpANT$445$445$845
Silver PaintPSC_02$200
Red Pearl PaintPRV_01$100
Blk Forest Grn Pearl PaintPGZ_02$100
20x9 WheelsWRG$1,295
RanBoxXB9$995$995$995
Tri-Fild Tonneau CoverCS7$550$550$550
Rear Wheelhouse LinnersMWH$195
Leather Bucket SeatsCJ$895
12" Uconnect with NACUAX$1,395
SunroofGWJ$1,495$1,495$1,495
Trailer Brake ControlXHC$295$295$295
Options$11,295$15,390$20,270
Base Price$56,990$54,390$46,390
Destination$1,695$1,695$1,695
Total$69,980$71,475$68,355

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I configured a truck with the same features as a Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Limited.

From a styling standpoint, I prefer the Longhorn. I didn't include the off-road group because it loses the normal ride height, although it includes the hill descent and is less expensive than individual items. The Protection Grp and Electrically-Locking diff are included. I didn't include the trailer towing package because it loses the surround camera. The brake trailer controller is included.

The deployable step isn't there because the configurator makes it conflict with the protection group, although it can be configured with the off-road package which includes the protection group. The Multifunction Tailgate similarly can't be configured except on a black truck without RamBoxes. Even though it was introduced on a red truck with Ramboxes. Both would be added and are the same price on. all models.

Even fully equipped, the Laramie is missing a few features, such as the hi/lo LED headlights.

Similarly equipped, the Laramie is $68,355, the Longhorn is $71,475, and the Limited is $69,980.

Did I make an error or is the Limited $1495 less than the Longhorn and only $1625 more than the Laramie?

OptionCodeLimitedLonghornLaramie
5.7L Hemi eTorque EngineEZL$2,645$2,645$2,645
Electronic-Locking Rear AxleDSH$545$545$545
3.92 Rear Axle RatioDMH$95$95$95
4-Corner Air SuspensionSER$- $1,795$1,795
33 Gallon Fuel TankNFF$445$445$445
Level 1 Equip GrpA69$2,995
Level 1 Equip GrpA68$3,895
Level 2 Equip GrpA67$4,595
Protection GrpADB$395$395$395
Advanced Safety GroupALP$1,695$1,695
Body-Color BumperALN$195
Bed Utility GrpANT$445$445$845
Silver PaintPSC_02$200
Red Pearl PaintPRV_01$100
Blk Forest Grn Pearl PaintPGZ_02$100
20x9 WheelsWRG$1,295
RanBoxXB9$995$995$995
Tri-Fild Tonneau CoverCS7$550$550$550
Rear Wheelhouse LinnersMWH$195
Leather Bucket SeatsCJ$895
12" Uconnect with NACUAX$1,395
SunroofGWJ$1,495$1,495$1,495
Trailer Brake ControlXHC$295$295$295
Options$11,295$15,390$20,270
Base Price$56,990$54,390$46,390
Destination$1,695$1,695$1,695
Total$69,980$71,475$68,355
Nope, looks right at a glance. The Limited comes out a little cheaper because most features are standard. The Longhorn can be equipped with everything the Limited has, but it costs more due to option pricing.

I went for the Longhorn only because I preferred the interior, grille, and wheels.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Actually, I did make a mistake. I left off the body-colored bumpers on the Longhorn. The difference is $1,670 instead of $1495.

There are also some significant price changes for 2020. The Hemi eTorque is down $700. The Longhorn is down $250, Limited down $75. The bed utility group, at least on the Longhorn, is up $100.

cobradav

Reaction score
Nope, looks right at a glance. The Limited comes out a little cheaper because most features are standard. The Longhorn can be equipped with everything the Limited has, but it costs more due to option pricing.

I went for the Longhorn only because I preferred the interior, grille, and wheels.
I did same analysis with similar results as I assumed would be the case. Despite the premium I opted for the Longhorn my way with the biggest reason the interior. Just could not go with that Limited interior in Black or Frost/Blue. The added bonus was grill and wheels as you say. No regrets here.

cra1g

Reaction score
I did the same comparison when I was buying. It really came down to interiors, and which of the nonsensical styling choices I could live with. The limited has a great (if understated) interior, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the pinstriped wood. What is that all about? Is it a dashboard or a business suit? Wood's cool--just use wood. No need to paint stripes on it.
I think parts of the Longhorn interior are even better (the wood and the "saddlebags" behind the front seats), but the fake reptile inserts on the seats are just weird. Again, WTF? Is it a seat, or a cheap poser cowboy boot? Same thing: leather's cool--just use leather. Don't pretend it's something else.
In the end, I thought the Limited was just a tiny bit less silly than the Longhorn, but it was close.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I did the same comparison when I was buying. It really came down to interiors, and which of the nonsensical styling choices I could live with. The limited has a great (if understated) interior, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the pinstriped wood. What is that all about? Is it a dashboard or a business suit? Wood's cool--just use wood. No need to paint stripes on it.
I think parts of the Longhorn interior are even better (the wood and the "saddlebags" behind the front seats), but the fake reptile inserts on the seats are just weird. Again, WTF? Is it a seat, or a cheap poser cowboy boot? Same thing: leather's cool--just use leather. Don't pretend it's something else.
In the end, I thought the Limited was just a tiny bit less silly than the Longhorn, but it was close.

And that is without even ordering the "filigree" seats on the Longhorn!

I know what they were thinking on the Limited. The picture below is designo Silk Beige/Deep Sea Blue Exclusive semi-aniline leather with designo Black Piano Lacquer "Flowing Lines" wood in an S-class Mercedes. The upholstery is a $6500 option, the wood is a $1300 option, and there are $15k in other options required to even order it.

The didn't get the finish on the wood quite right for the Ram. At first, I thought it was a bad attempt a carbon fiber. There seem to be big quality issues with the leather complained about on other threads. On top of that the blue doesn't really go with many exterior colors well. If it didn't have problems I might consider a Silver Limited with the Indigo/Frost interior.

The Longhorn is supposed to compete with the Ford King Ranch. Also the second most expensive model in the F-series model lines, it has a western theme also. If we go for the Longhorn, we will get Delmonico Red Pearl with the Saddle/Black interior. The reason for Saddle/Black is because of the black headliner. The brown/light brown is ok and I prefer lighter colored seats (stay cooler in the summer), however the headliner is a non-matching shade.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your analysis is similar with what I found when I was comparing features and trims. I ended up going the Limited route.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

I know what they were thinking on the Limited. The picture below is designo Silk Beige/Deep Sea Blue Exclusive semi-aniline leather with designo Black Piano Lacquer "Flowing Lines" wood in an S-class Mercedes. The upholstery is a $6500 option, the wood is a $1300 option, and there are $15k in other options required to even order it.

View attachment 33237

The didn't get the finish on the wood quite right for the Ram. At first, I thought it was a bad attempt a carbon fiber. There seem to be big quality issues with the leather complained about on other threads. On top of that the blue doesn't really go with many exterior colors well. If it didn't have problems I might consider a Silver Limited with the Indigo/Frost interior.

The Longhorn is supposed to compete with the Ford King Ranch. Also the second most expensive model in the F-series model lines, it has a western theme also. If we go for the Longhorn, we will get Delmonico Red Pearl with the Saddle/Black interior. The reason for Saddle/Black is because of the black headliner. The brown/light brown is ok and I prefer lighter colored seats (stay cooler in the summer), however the headliner is a non-matching shade.
I went with the Limited because I came from a MB GL550 and wanted the similar interior instead of the ’cowboy’ look. I believe RAM hit it out of the ballpark. My Limited interior is nicer than my Mercedes was... Go figure.

cra1g

Reaction score

View attachment 33237

Well that makes a little more sense, if they were trying for the S-Class look. Still, they missed, and it was unnecessary anyway. The plain black open-pore wood in my Grand Cherokee Summit is gorgeous--it didn't need stripes.

And don't even get me started on fake carbon fiber...;)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the Limited because I came from a MB GL550 and wanted the similar interior instead of the ’cowboy’ look. I believe RAM hit it out of the ballpark. My Limited interior is nicer than my Mercedes was... Go figure.
I came out of a 2016 MB GL450. I also didn't like the Longhorn's 'western' styling of the instrument panel and seats. The Limited is nicer than my Mercedes was. I did like the anthracite poplar wood trim in my Mercedes.
wamochi-73392-albums-2013-gl550-steel-grey-9357-picture-img-2224-36626.jpg

Too bad that wasn't an option for the Ram, because that would have been amazing. I hated the 7-speed transmission in the MB, and the ZF 8-speed in the truck is amazing.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 33237

I think Ram went with the blueish tint on the wood so that it worked with the blue gauge rings on the black interior and also works with the indigo interior. I don't mind it at all. I do think that the lines in the wood are from laminate (i.e. blond wood sandwiched in with the darker wood) rather than paint. Seems especially prevalent on the steering wheel. Did I make a bad assumption there?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 33237

An excellent choice, although I may be biased...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think Ram went with the blueish tint on the wood so that it worked with the blue gauge rings on the black interior and also works with the indigo interior. I don't mind it at all. I do think that the lines in the wood are from laminate (i.e. blond wood sandwiched in with the darker wood) rather than paint. Seems especially prevalent on the steering wheel. Did I make a bad assumption there?
You are correct about wood layers (laminate) forming the striping, per Ram’s marketing videos.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nope, you’re correct. It’s bonded wood. Had the same in my Audi A6 and loved that look.

743A599F-389B-4E11-8FA5-0DE8FF4420B4.jpeg

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
So I guess no all black interior on the Longhorn for 2020? Seems like it would be a popular color option.

Fingolfin01

Reaction score
Well that makes a little more sense, if they were trying for the S-Class look. Still, they missed, and it was unnecessary anyway. The plain black open-pore wood in my Grand Cherokee Summit is gorgeous--it didn't need stripes.

And don't even get me started on fake carbon fiber...;)
Having trouble deciding on the Limited for this reason. I have the open pore wood on my Summit and it is so much better than the Limited's busy stripes. May get a black interior Rebel instead. Just need the 360 camera and don't think I can get it on a Rebel

The only place that it really bothers me is on the steering wheel. But I guess I could get a cover for it. Just hate to compromise on a high end purchase

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread