5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Hemi truly flawed by design?

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
That really sounds frustrating, I really hope they figure out for you. I’ve only got 1300 miles on mine so far and it’s completely quiet. I’ve started it remotely standing next to it and so far haven’t heard the first tick. The current manual “recommends” 5W-20 that meets MS-6395 and displays the API certification. No mention of any other grade allowed but the recommends instead of requires wording may give some wiggle room.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love to see some data on oil related cam issues vs the number of VVT and VVT/MDS 5.7 hemi engines. Between Ram's, Grand Cherokee/Durango's, and Charger/Challenger/300's we're talking hundreds and hundreds of thousands of engines.

I get a feeling that if it affects 2% of engines produced, that's still a couple thousand examples, which in the current age we're living in makes it seem like it's happening all the time.

I have experience with a well documented oil/premature wear problem from a European auto manufacturer. Very tight tolerances, very thick oil, baffled oil pans, and overly long warm up times all contributed to the problem. The potential issue with the 5.7 HEMI doesn't feel like that at all.
Millions of engines, actually.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure that me using 5w30 now would be fine since I'm in a hot climate (Las Vegas). But I wouldn't recommend in a cold climate. Who knows...but I remember my 2011 Charger R/T used 5w20 as well

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm sure that me using 5w30 now would be fine since I'm in a hot climate (Las Vegas). But I wouldn't recommend in a cold climate. Who knows...but I remember my 2011 Charger R/T used 5w20 as well

The first number is the "cold" value, right? If so, then I don't see a difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 in the winter. But RL does offer a 0w-30 for cold/harsh climates, for in engines that would otherwise use 5w-30.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Yep the first number is the winter rating. A 5WXX oil has to pass the cold cranking simulator (CCS) test at -30C, which is -22F. A 5W oil is good for winter starts in pretty much the whole country.

MeOff

Reaction score
Traded my 08' hemi 5.7 on 2019 hemi in Feb 2019. I had 200,000 miles in 11 years. Still ran like new! First oil change at 3000 miles with 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles, then every 10,000 after that. Never ever had issues with the engine or drivetrain. Did my truck have the infamous tick? Yep! Started my 2019 the same, now have 22,000 miles. No tick on this one. My fourth Ram 1500 in a row since 95'. Love these trucks. Don't

MeOff

Reaction score
Traded my 08' hemi 5.7 on 2019 hemi in Feb 2019. I had 200,000 miles in 11 years. Still ran like new! First oil change at 3000 miles with 2nd oil change at 10,000 miles, then every 10,000 after that. Never ever had issues with the engine or drivetrain. Did my truck have the infamous tick? Yep! Started my 2019 the same, now have 22,000 miles. No tick on this one. My fourth Ram 1500 in a row since 95'. Love these trucks. Don't worry, be happy and enjoy your truck! FYI. Use the recommended 5w20. Full synthetic.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with you on using mfr recommended oil viscosity. When I bought my 12 SRT, I was SUPER concerned with the addendum in the manual that said not to use the 5w40, but 0w40 instead. 8 years and 15k "Spirited Driving" miles later, I have had no issues. Mobil 1 is all I have ever used in it. I change the oil once a year. Now, I do have the manual trans, so there isn't any MDS to contend with - that is the thing I will be watching with the Ram. I defeat the MDS every time I drive the Ram, hopefully that helps curb any potential problem.

Jtex123

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that good ole Uncle Tony found a “flaw” that thousands and thousands of mechanics and engineers missed, or may be fixed on the 5th gen engines.
I work on Hemi engines almost every day and can tell you that I have pulled failed cams and lifters on vehicles with only 63k miles and ones with 180k miles. There is a obvious oiling problem and it lies in the cam oiling. I also find it funny how dodge wants the MDS cam cores back, but not the NON mds cores. That tells me the MDS probably has a fatal flaw.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I work on Hemi engines almost every day and can tell you that I have pulled failed cams and lifters on vehicles with only 63k miles and ones with 180k miles. There is a obvious oiling problem and it lies in the cam oiling. I also find it funny how dodge wants the MDS cam cores back, but not the NON mds cores. That tells me the MDS probably has a fatal flaw.
Good thing I always turn it off as soon as I start driving.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Interesting considering that 10 years ago they had a recall on the Hemis because the timing chains were snapping on the Challengers (and maybe other models as well) but it ONLY got recalled if it had the MDS system. They sure are slow to learn........

Users who are viewing this thread