5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the "hemi tick" still a thing in the latest models?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
What's interesting is that I was in a Jack N Box drive thru and once I got up to the menu speaker thing, I heard some alarming "ticking" from my truck. Once I drove away from the menu wall, it sounded fine.

I suspect the normal fuel injector sound was reverberating/magnified from the menu. I got out later and listened to the engine from the outside, then popped the hood and listened a bit closer. It was clearly the fuel injectors doing their thing.
Good post in Hemi Tic.

Injection can be noisy and varying in sound at idle. Exact same for the Hemi valve train at idle. The dealer will listen to all this at idle and say it’s normal which it is. At normal steady driving speeds you won’t hear any of this as the oil pressure is increased by over 20psi. All you should hear is road noise.

Broken exhaust manifold bolts and cracked exhaust manifold castings will have a more pronounced noise that will become faster in sound when engine speed increases as one drives. Checking for broken bolts and cracked manifolds is an easy procedure.

I replaced the broken rear exhaust manifold bolts on both sides of my 4th Gen Hemi myself. The bolts were broke even with the aluminum head. The proper way to get them out is to weld small 12mm nuts to the stud and back them out with a wrench. I rented a small 120v mig welder from Home Depot to do the welding that cost $50. It wasn’t that hard to do. For a professional it should be an easy repair.

Here’s how it’s done. In the video they show heating of the bolt heads which is not necessary.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Has the manifold issue been corrected in the newer trucks??

Redfour5

Reaction score
Why do the exhaust manifolds crack?
New to Hemi's
Tom
Late back to the party, but the guy who fixes them at my dealership said it was the dissimilar metals of the manifold vs the block... The manifold would warp" being aluminum? and put pressure on the bolts so they would snap first and if you got to that quick you could grind? the manifold flat and put new bolts in...IF you could get them out and most of the time you could. He said that was where the "art" was. If not, then you replaced the manifold and new bolts. This is my remembering of the conversation. He said he used after market parts to permanently fix his, titanium was part of the conversation, but I can't remember what parts...

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Class Action filed;

That says nothing about the exhaust manifolds that have either broken bolts or are cracked. Shocked there has never been a lawsuit on that since it eventually affects every owner if they have the truck long enough. Obviously a RAM issue as I have never seen it before with other manufacturers.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That says nothing about the exhaust manifolds that have either broken bolts or are cracked. Shocked there has never been a lawsuit on that since it eventually affects every owner if they have the truck long enough. Obviously a RAM issue as I have never seen it before with other manufacturers.

Same thing on 11-16 f150 ecoboosts, it’s amatter of when, not if, the manifold warps and the bolts snap. 90% will by this. Only the repair is muuuuuch worse than on Hemis.

Turbos out, coolant lines disconnected & system refilled, oil lines out with seals replaced , down Pipes oh my! Labor costs are insane, and a DIY job takes days and has lots at risk of going wrong for the shade tree mechanic.

When it happened to my F150, the Hemi manifold issue sounded like a dream in comparison haha. Which is why I’m not sweating this inevitability on a Ram. Every vehicle has something…

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's not a dedicated post about the new Hemi class action lawsuit. May not go anywhere, but will be curious to see if anything comes out of it

Users who are viewing this thread