5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jfloyd1112

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m new to the page have some questions about the 5.7 hemi. I am thinking about trading my 2019 silverado just because the DI “direction injection” makes me nervous since it has a lot of carbon build up issues. Does anyone know if the 5.7 hemi is Direct injection? I Appreciate everyone’s time.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None of the Hemi's are direct injection. I think some of that depends on the engine. For instance, some BMW engines were known for needing a cleaning every 60k and then there are others that go 150k without any issues.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some DI engines are better designed than others. Some are designed to take better care of the carbon than others.

Regardless, the Hemis are not direct injected (DI).

Wsmith

Reaction score
I traded a 15 Silverado DI in at 68K, I know that's not huge mileage, but no issues whatsoever.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We're in the clear as far as the Hemi goes. As already stated, it's not a gasoline direct injection engine. Even so, I'm running a catch can on my Laramie because we are still susceptible to intake runner carbon build-up. The port injectors do a fine job of keeping the intake valves clean, but do nothing for the upper intake ports and intake plenum. A catch can will reduce the amount of oil and fuel vapors that the pcv system might otherwise introduce into the intake. I might be worried about a non-issue, but I already had a quality catch can from a previous vehicle so I figured why not.

Users who are viewing this thread