5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Saltillo Production really completely Shut down?

Lindyrig4

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I'm new to this forum thing, and I'm new to almost owning a Ram. I ordered a new Laramie 6 weeks ago and was told it would take about 6-8 weeks to get here. Now I'm being told the production in Mexico has been totally shut down becuse they can not get any microchips for blind spot monitoring and parking assist. The dealer here in Minnesota is saying "maybe' another 4 weeks or so...? WTF
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RELIBLE INFORMATION ON WHAT IS GOING ON WITH DELIVERY OF NEW RAMS?
I do notice all the auto dealerships around me have very empty lots with very few cars and trucks for sale.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd have to look at your build order to see what package you have to see if it will have the BSM on it. The dealer should of known if it had it right away when ordering. Your truck will be built in Detroit, not Mexico. The 1500 DT will be continue to be built as they aren't part of the temp shutdown.

As far as ETA on the truck, depending on what you ordered your looking closer to 7-10 weeks possibly longer. Set up your signature with what you have on order with the options as that will help guys answer your questions.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stellantis is selectively shutting down plants temporarily, but the HD Ram plant (Saltillo Mexico) and the DT Ram 1500 plant (Sterling Heights Michigan) would be among the last to be shut down, although ALL plants are being affected in one way or another. Depending on your truck's equipment, it could be built without certain items (such as BSM) and held at the plant until the items can be installed and then shipped. It's going to be a mess for a while I think, but customer orders (versus dealer stock) should take priority so hang in there.

Last edited:

Lindyrig4

Reaction score
You'd have to look at your build order to see what package you have to see if it will have the BSM on it. The dealer should of known if it had it right away when ordering. Your truck will be built in Detroit, not Mexico. The 1500 DT will be continue to be built as they aren't part of the temp shutdown.

As far as ETA on the truck, depending on what you ordered your looking closer to 7-10 weeks possibly longer. Set up your signature with what you have on order with the options as that will help guys answer your questions.
THANKS< Really, Detroit, Dealer told me Mexico?
Can't figure out how to set up "signature"?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You bought a 2021 1500 Laramie (not the classic) then it should be built in Detroit, not Mexico. If your dealer doesn't know this then I'd question everything about it..lol

Sterling Heights Assembly Plant
Production. The Ram 1500 is built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan. FCA has retooled the plant to handle the 2019 Ram 1500 and newer.

Lindyrig4

Reaction score
You bought a 2021 1500 Laramie (not the classic) then it should be built in Detroit, not Mexico. If your dealer doesn't know this then I'd question everything about it..lol

Sterling Heights Assembly Plant
Production. The Ram 1500 is built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan. FCA has retooled the plant to handle the 2019 Ram 1500.
yep, oh oh ... not a small dealer either.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty much anything coming from overseas is moving like frozen molasses.

Between all of the container ships anchored in Port of Los Angeles, and the s#!t show in the Suez Canal, global supply is affected. Not sure if this includes "chips" but disruption will be far and wide and on some of the most random items.

My industry is seeing long lead times on motor bearing equipment, because all of the fractional HP motors are being imported...

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a 5th Gen 1500, aka 2019-2021 DT, it will be built at the Sterling Heights Plant in Detroit. If it’s a Classic, aka 4th Gen DS 2019-2021, it will be built at either the Warren Plant in Detroit or in Mexico. 4.5th Gen HD’s (aka 5th Gens) are built in Mexico as well. The Sterling Heights plant, while affected, is priority and will see the least delays, even if there are some present.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
THANKS< Really, Detroit, Dealer told me Mexico?
Can't figure out how to set up "signature"?
Ram Heavy Duties are made in Saltillo, 1500s are made in Michigan.

Wonder what else your salesperson doesn't know?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047907 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram Heavy Duties are made in Saltillo, 1500s are made in Michigan.

Wonder what else your salesperson doesn't know?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047907 miles.
But the 5.7L HEMI engine is built in Saltillo, right?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the 5.7L HEMI engine is built in Saltillo, right?
Yes. So are the other V8s, some of the Pentastar V6s, and a couple 4 cylinders. But the engine plant is definitely not shut down. Not yet anyway.

More than likely the salesman was confused. Since some of the 4th gens are built there he assumed the 5th gens were too.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread