5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Rebel categorized Commercial in NY?

James Xia

Reaction score
Hello Guys

Hope you guys doing well. I am happy for my new Rebel after receiving. But today I find my plates are Commercial. I thought ram rebel is passenger plate in NY, since my Tundra is. I called DMV today and get everything is right. I have Parkway to drive everyday . So that is horrible if I can not drive my Rebel daily.

2022_oh_yeah

Reaction score
What makes Rebel a commercial vehicle? I live in NY and I’m pretty sure it’s not a commercial vehicle unless you request it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Xia

Reaction score
What makes Rebel a commercial vehicle? I live in NY and I’m pretty sure it’s not a commercial vehicle unless you request it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not request anything. I received my plates couple of weeks ago and just find there is commercial on the bottom. It is wired.

James Xia

Reaction score
Well, what I found is over 6,000lb curb weight must register as commercial. Must be a highly optioned Rebel.
Yes. I found it too. But I do not think my Rebel is more than 6,000lbs. Even no running step...

ALT_F13

Reaction score
My Rebel with full tank and no passengers is ~6300 pound. So I'm not surprised.

James Xia

Reaction score
I just called several local dealer and was told Rebel is passenger vehicle. I bought my Rebel from Mark Dodge LA. what the hell I received commercial plates.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance. We don't have the same classifications in my state. Why are you so concerned if it's classified as commercial? Does the state limit you on how much a commercial vehicle can be driven?

James Xia

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance. We don't have the same classifications in my state. Why are you so concerned if it's classified as commercial? Does the state limit you on how much a commercial vehicle can be driven?
Yes. Commercial could not drive on local Parkway.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hard to believe a state employee would make a mistake but things happen. However you may be over the 6,001 lb threshold as ALT_F13 stated. You have Ram boxes or multifunction tailgate? Crew cab with a sunroof?

Jimp1

Reaction score
The plate I had on my 2017 Ram 1500 weren't commercial. Up state NY. The plates that were on my Challenger will be transferred to my Laramie someday when it comes in.

James Xia

Reaction score
Hard to believe a state employee would make a mistake but things happen. However you may be over the 6,001 lb threshold as ALT_F13 stated. You have Ram boxes or multifunction tailgate? Crew cab with a sunroof?
My rebel is crew cab without sunroof . No Ram box ,multifunction tailgate, side step bar.

James Xia

Reaction score
I called dealer and everything is good on their side, DMV might made mistake. But I called DMV and was told everything is right. Now I have to make reservation to stop by local DMV and date should be next month...

jessed1

Reaction score
I registered my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn in June (purchased in MI). I did the paperwork myself, pain in the ***. The only place I found the curb weight was on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) - which the DMV now has. Title does have the curb weight, 5300ish. So it qualified for passenger plates. I would be surprised if your rebel is significantly heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online