5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Rebel categorized Commercial in NY?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its a mistake they may think you have a trx lmao i know trx have to be put down with commercial plates but my rebel is fully loaded and pasenger plates

James Xia

Reaction score
I registered my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn in June (purchased in MI). I did the paperwork myself, pain in the ***. The only place I found the curb weight was on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) - which the DMV now has. Title does have the curb weight, 5300ish. So it qualified for passenger plates. I would be surprised if your rebel is significantly heavier.
It seems I do not have title. I have loan for my truck. Can I find my copy of my title somewhere?

LouNY

Reaction score

From the NYS DMV​

When your truck was registered by the dealer they may have requested commercial plates if they thought it was for a business.
I found a curb weight for a Rebel of 5314 pounds.

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (b) and (c))​

You can register a pick-up in the 'Passenger' class if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If your modified or unmodified pick-up truck has an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

• the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements
  • the pick-up truck is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

• the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
  • a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed
  • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed
    • 'camping equipment” indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle.

James Xia

Reaction score

From the NYS DMV​

When your truck was registered by the dealer they may have requested commercial plates if they thought it was for a business.
I found a curb weight for a Rebel of 5314 pounds.

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (b) and (c))​

You can register a pick-up in the 'Passenger' class if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If your modified or unmodified pick-up truck has an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

• the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements
  • the pick-up truck is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if it meets the following conditions:

• the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
  • a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed
  • the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed
    • 'camping equipment” indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle.
This is my personal drive and did not say any for business use. The dealer did not ask me if this is for business. I called dealer and they said it is my state law. totally mess up

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I had an emissions compliance issue when I bought my 11 ram used. I was not aware of any problems until I got a bunch of fees in the mail from the DMV. I went back to the dealer to inquire and they told me their paperwork was good and it's a DMV problem. I went to the DMV and they told me the dealer screwed up some paperwork. Moral of my story is, go over EVERY piece of paper and read EVERY word of it. It's obvious that someone, whether you the dealer or the DMV screwed up something. I'm in CT but my 21 crew cab built to serve is registered as a passenger vehicle

James Xia

Reaction score
I had an emissions compliance issue when I bought my 11 ram used. I was not aware of any problems until I got a bunch of fees in the mail from the DMV. I went back to the dealer to inquire and they told me their paperwork was good and it's a DMV problem. I went to the DMV and they told me the dealer screwed up some paperwork. Moral of my story is, go over EVERY piece of paper and read EVERY word of it. It's obvious that someone, whether you the dealer or the DMV screwed up something. I'm in CT but my 21 crew cab built to serve is registered as a passenger vehicle
It is easy if my dealer is local...

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I guess I gotta check my state’s (California) laws because I was told by all my buddies who have trucks that every truck here is registered commercial if it has an open truck bed. You have regular license plates but technically your registration is commercial. Because I was confused when I originally got mine and it said commercial too. It won’t limit your travel anywhere though. It’s a normal small pickup, no one is going to bother you for using it for personal use lol

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is easy if my dealer is local...
its for sure the dealerships issue i would persue it with them and wordt comes to worst
I guess I gotta check my state’s (California) laws because I was told by all my buddies who have trucks that every truck here is registered commercial if it has an open truck bed. You have regular license plates but technically your registration is commercial. Because I was confused when I originally got mine and it said commercial too. It won’t limit your travel anywhere though. It’s a normal small pickup, no one is going to bother you for using it for personal use lol
in new york commercial cant go on many highways and many areas LIKE HALF NYC 😂🤣

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
its for sure the dealerships issue i would persue it with them and wordt comes to worst

in new york commercial cant go on many highways and many areas LIKE HALF NYC 😂🤣
Who’s checking that? Like how would authorities know? Also I just googled it and yeah california says all trucks are commercial

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

It's been like that forever in California, but it's essentially on paper in regards to a "Commercial" registration on trucks. Doesn't effect how or what you can do with it. Commercial and regular plates are identical in the state. New York works under a different thing in regards to what Commercial means.

jessed1

Reaction score
It seems I do not have title. I have loan for my truck. Can I find my copy of my title somewhere?
DMV should have it. You can re-register as a passenger vehicle if the title shows under 6001 pounds.
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf

If the title is over 6000 pounds, you can request and amendment to the unladen weight with the correct weight. Proof would be needed from an official weighing station.
NY DMV Answers

James Xia

Reaction score
DMV should have it. You can re-register as a passenger vehicle if the title shows under 6001 pounds.
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf

If the title is over 6000 pounds, you can request and amendment to the unladen weight with the correct weight. Proof would be needed from an official weighing station.
NY DMV Answers
I do not know what weight is showed on title, but I believe it should be under 6001lbs. I will stop by DMV next month and just make sure I do not miss any document,

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who’s checking that? Like how would authorities know? Also I just googled it and yeah california says all trucks are commercial
its says it on the plates and all the highways legit say no commercial and if highway patrol legit be waiting for commercial

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Florida and I was challenged on the commercial plates requirement when I registered the vehicle. I bought the truck from Mark Dodge and they filed all the paperwork with the state. There was an issue that required me to sign the odometer statement (e signature is not accepted in FL for odometer readings). The DMV agent kept saying that I needed commercial plates and I had to challenge her stating that this truck is the same as my old Silverado Z71 and F150 4x4. She said that the weight of the truck, under full load makes it commercial. She said that empty, I was fine, but if I load the bed with materials, the police CAN pull me over for being over weight in a passenger vehicle.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
7100 minus 1393 is a base weight of 5707.

My guess is the dealership registered it based on GVWR and you can easily get it adjust for their mistake

In PA for instance the truck should be registered a class 3 but plenty have gotten away with class 2 or even class 1. But if they ever would be in a situation to be weighed they would be fined. Which is very unlikely and why the gamble is taken.

My guess a simple mistake by the dealer with a simple resolution. But then...NYC

Users who are viewing this thread