5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is oem bumper made of steel?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a video about a week ago explaining why the US market has migrated away from cars and into SUVs and trucks since the 1990s. They claimed that the regulations are far more stringent on cars, than trucks. The SUV qualifies as a truck, so they have more freedoms with them. The station wagon was qualified as a car, and as such have become extinct with the US auto manufacturers.

What I don't understand is how the regulations applied to US cars don't seem to be the same as for imports, since import car manufacturers are still building cars!

John Galt

Reaction score
I saw a video about a week ago explaining why the US market has migrated away from cars and into SUVs and trucks since the 1990s. They claimed that the regulations are far more stringent on cars, than trucks. The SUV qualifies as a truck, so they have more freedoms with them. The station wagon was qualified as a car, and as such have become extinct with the US auto manufacturers.

What I don't understand is how the regulations applied to US cars don't seem to be the same as for imports, since import car manufacturers are still building cars!
Well government regulation IS he best way to stifle innovation, competition, and growth in an industry…..and if politicians start regulating trucks and SUV’s THEY wouldn’t have nice big safe vehicles to be driven around in.

Olbez

Reaction score
How about the Rough Country one?

Yeah, that's pretty good looking! Listing on Amazon says that it weighs 80lbs (although those are often not accurate) so it's definitely heavier duty than stock. And it's got the cut outs for parking sensors too!

I keep tagging @VICE design hoping they'd respond with the status of their rear bumper though :D

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Olbez

Reaction score
I like the corner steps. My issue with this bumper is all the F-117 stealth fighter angles on a truck without said angles. I'd be all over that bumper if the corners were rounded off instead.
I mean, yeah it's clearly an aftermarket bumper. At least it doesn't stick out crazy like some bumpers do. I imagine most welded bumpers will have these angles, because it's is simply easier to manufacture them (welding flat pieces of metal together, rather than stamping or bending rounded corners)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean, yeah it's clearly an aftermarket bumper. At least it doesn't stick out crazy like some bumpers do. I imagine most welded bumpers will have these angles, because it's is simply easier to manufacture them (welding flat pieces of metal together, rather than stamping or bending rounded corners)
Sure, I get that. Doesn't mean I can't wish for something else though :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the corner steps. My issue with this bumper is all the F-117 stealth fighter angles on a truck without said angles. I'd be all over that bumper if the corners were rounded off instead.
That is is actually pretty tame compared to a lot of them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha...no doubt. That's probably the one I'd go with if I was gonna replace the rear bumper with something non-stock.
I will eventually get one from the same place that did my front bumper. Not a priority right now though

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the RC one the best so far and there's a 4WP store about 40 minutes from me, so I'd get free instore pickup. Hmmm

Big Jim’s 1500

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2023 ram 1500 limited. Had it for a few weeks and have just yesterday out on the license plates. This morning got rear ended while sitting at a traffic light. It was a low speed bump but I noticed the bumper has a noticeable dent in it. Are these things not steel?
Ya, it’s meta, very thin metal.
Since 2010 I’ve been a victim in 3 crashes. All being rear ended while stopped at a traffic light. So I feel your pain.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like he has it listed now at the very bottom. Would be nice to see a pic of one instaled.
That's for the HD trucks. His website doesn't show the 1500s

slatersan

Reaction score
How about a 4x4 bolted to the frame rails?

Nothing says “truck” like wood bumper.

Oh wait….this is California and you have to use that “ethically sourced humanely harvested wood” from trees that committed suicide in the wild of their own free will and found accidentally by a passing hippie. Aftermarket heavy steel is probably cheaper.

Show us on the doll where California hurt you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online