5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my 20 Rebel considered a "Hybrid"

Brainhatch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Insurance is now asking if my truck is a "1500 Crew Cab" or "1500 Hybrid Crew Cab"?

I have the 5.7 V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque engine which is a "Mild-Hybrid" technology, but not technically a full on hybrid.

It does not say hybrid anywhere on the sticker specs and the VIN search does not specify the type.

I assume they want more money if I tell the insurance it is a hybrid, but at the same time would maybe get better payout if it's totaled?

Not sure what to tell the insurance co, any help is truly appreciated.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Call them up and ask them what the difference is, tell them exactly what you wrote here.

Insurance is like brakes and tires for me, I don't cheap out or play games. They're there to save your butt!

EJ84

Reaction score
Making me question if I should call my insurance company as they never asked, shouldn’t they have this information thru the VIN?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck Thursday and put insurance on it yesterday. My agent didn't ask about it being a hybrid, but said it automatically comes up based on my VIN. I don't have eTorque either, so I don't know what's hybrid about it.

Brainhatch

Reaction score
1500 Crew Cab it is. I called them and turns out that hybrid crew cab wasn't even an option to select once they went into my account! WTF?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to sound like insurance companies are puckering up for the impeding hybrid battery failures.
JMO...

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Insurance is now asking if my truck is a "1500 Crew Cab" or "1500 Hybrid Crew Cab"?

I have the 5.7 V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque engine which is a "Mild-Hybrid" technology, but not technically a full on hybrid.

It does not say hybrid anywhere on the sticker specs and the VIN search does not specify the type.

I assume they want more money if I tell the insurance it is a hybrid, but at the same time would maybe get better payout if it's totaled?

RAM considers the trucks equipped with the HEMI eTorque motor to be “mild-hybrid electric vehicles” since they use an air-cooled 48-volt electric motor mounted atop the 5.7-liter V-8 that talks to a 0.4-kwh lithium-ion battery slotted behind the rear seat.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting to sound like insurance companies are puckering up for the impeding hybrid battery failures.
JMO...

Ya know, the EV crowd is always telling people that the battery tech is nearly perfect, we'll have a breakthrough next week anyway, and that the EV tech and hybrids are "putting maintenance departments out of business".

It's always interesting to watch that goalpost shift, and hear about how the newer technologies actually still can and do breakdown/need fixing.

"There's no free lunch", so to speak!
If it's manmade, it can fail - and often be fixed.
The only "error" is the pure hubris of people (Who generally have a ton of money tied up in Tesla stock) telling everyone who will listen, that the newer tech won't/can't have issues, while simultaneously telling you what they are a paragraph later.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It’s technically a “P0” class of hybrid, also known as a “micro hybrid” due to the belt-driven design.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ya know, the EV crowd is always telling people that the battery tech is nearly perfect, we'll have a breakthrough next week anyway, and that the EV tech and hybrids are "putting maintenance departments out of business".

It's always interesting to watch that goalpost shift, and hear about how the newer technologies actually still can and do breakdown/need fixing.

"There's no free lunch", so to speak!
If it's manmade, it can fail - and often be fixed.
The only "error" is the pure hubris of people (Who generally have a ton of money tied up in Tesla stock) telling everyone who will listen, that the newer tech won't/can't have issues, while simultaneously telling you what they are a paragraph later.

I hear ya, and I'm definitely not ready for an EV nor do I love Tesla. But the drivetrain of an electric vehicle is quite a bit simpler than a gas engine, a fraction of the parts and really it's just an electric motor wired to a battery pack.

Do Tesla's really have that many issues? I'm out of the loop, but I would think as far as drivetrain they are probably solid. I can see other issues like fit and finish, stuff falling of the car, but that's just because they're new to building cars in general.

Grumpy37

Reaction score
I hear in Ohio it is considered a hybrid snd you pay more for license plates.

Users who are viewing this thread