5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add heated regular mirrors in place of town mirrors?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen this angle covered here yet.

I have the tow package, which means I have the non-power folding tow mirrors. I've read up on swapping out the mirrors and adding the door module and doing the bcm flash to update the system so everything works.

My question is: what if you don't care about power folding, and only want the regular mirrors so that you can have the heating function work? I have found on frosty mornings that what I really miss from my Titan is the heated mirrors. Of course I want the power adjust to still work, but I couldn't care less if I had power folding.

Would a bcm flash be required if you just swapped mirrors in order to get just the heated feature? If you hit the rear defrost button ( I have the 8.4 screen with buttons below) does that activate the heated mirrors, and is there a live lead to the mIrrors that just doesn't work on the tow mirrors but would work on the regular mirrors? Are there side lights on the regular mirrors and would those work?

Finally, has anyone done this? Thanks all!

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen this angle covered here yet.

I have the tow package, which means I have the non-power folding tow mirrors. I've read up on swapping out the mirrors and adding the door module and doing the bcm flash to update the system so everything works.

My question is: what if you don't care about power folding, and only want the regular mirrors so that you can have the heating function work? I have found on frosty mornings that what I really miss from my Titan is the heated mirrors. Of course I want the power adjust to still work, but I couldn't care less if I had power folding.

Would a bcm flash be required if you just swapped mirrors in order to get just the heated feature? If you hit the rear defrost button ( I have the 8.4 screen with buttons below) does that activate the heated mirrors, and is there a live lead to the mIrrors that just doesn't work on the tow mirrors but would work on the regular mirrors? Are there side lights on the regular mirrors and would those work?

Finally, has anyone done this? Thanks all!
I replaced my tow mirrors with regular, heated ones and they do not seem to heat.

derp

Reaction score
yes it can be done. has been beaten to death down to a parts bill in another thread and even linked out to parts vendors.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
yes it can be done. has been beaten to death down to a parts bill in another thread and even linked out to parts vendors.
I haven't seen that thread. Can you share the name of the thread or a link?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As best as I can figure out the one you are talking about that's been beaten to death with a parts list is the ones where people are trying to get power fold and reflashing the BCM. That's not what I am talking about. All I want to know is if I swap the mirrors is whether the power and heat will work. I don't want to add a new module in the door to get power folding or flash the BCM so that I can work stuff on the screen.

If there is a thread talking about just that, show me. I've done the same "tow mirror swap" thread search and read them and I don't see it.

derp

Reaction score
As best as I can figure out the one you are talking about that's been beaten to death with a parts list is the ones where people are trying to get power fold and reflashing the BCM. That's not what I am talking about. All I want to know is if I swap the mirrors is whether the power and heat will work. I don't want to add a new module in the door to get power folding or flash the BCM so that I can work stuff on the screen.

If there is a thread talking about just that, show me. I've done the same "tow mirror swap" thread search and read them and I don't see it.
Reading through the ones where they didn't do the module and swap, they all lost heated mirrors. all swap with no module threads = no heated mirror. I'm just putting together the pieces from that.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading through the ones where they didn't do the module and swap, they all lost heated mirrors. all swap with no module threads = no heated mirror. I'm just putting together the pieces from that.
That's helpful and it mirrors (pun intended :p ) what the guy above said; it doesn't sound like there's much value to me unless I just want smaller mirrors.

derp

Reaction score
i have heated tow mirrors . i think that is what he is looking for
heated tow mirrors is where he is now. He has been seeking sport mirrors with heat and no power fold on the cheap (as in not having to cash up for the mirror controller module that does fold which he doesn't want).

best of luck, you can probably get there with a little bit of work with bridging the old mirror heat element circuit with the new mirror's ones. that is well beyond me as I haven't taken either one to bits myself.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
heated tow mirrors is where he is now. He has been seeking sport mirrors with heat and no power fold on the cheap (as in not having to cash up for the mirror controller module that does fold which he doesn't want).

best of luck, you can probably get there with a little bit of work with bridging the old mirror heat element circuit with the new mirror's ones. that is well beyond me as I haven't taken either one to bits myself.
Actually, unheated tow mirrors is where I am now. There's no heat symbol on my mirrors and nothing melts when I hit the rear window defrost. Heated mirrors is the only thing I *do* want, which is why I thought about swapping. If I could swap heated tow mirrors onto mine I'd be ok with that too.

SS2112

Reaction score
Actually, unheated tow mirrors is where I am now. There's no heat symbol on my mirrors and nothing melts when I hit the rear window defrost. Heated mirrors is the only thing I *do* want, which is why I thought about swapping. If I could swap heated tow mirrors onto mine I'd be ok with that too.
Check out the thread below. Mike_CT spliced into the rear defrost wire to make his heated mirrors work, without a door module.
Towing Mirror swap - 4th gen mirrors onto 5th gen

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the thread below. Mike_CT spliced into the rear defrost wire to make his heated mirrors work, without a door module.
Towing Mirror swap - 4th gen mirrors onto 5th gen
Excellent, that's what I am looking for - but the link doesn't work...

SS2112

Reaction score
Excellent, that's what I am looking for - but the link doesn't work...
Copy that title into the search bar up at the top of this page and once the next page loads up, scroll down until you see that title. Then click on it.

Rod19

Reaction score
I replaced my tow mirrors with regular, heated ones and they do not seem to heat.
I am looking to do the same, but I think you would need to “add” a button where the “tow/haul and traction control” buttons are.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Interesting. I assumed the heat was automatic.
It is. When the rear window defrost is activated the mirror heat is as well.
To get heated mirrors to work in a truck that did not come with heated mirrors originally you need, heated mirror glass and wiring, door modules, and AlfaOBD programming.

Users who are viewing this thread