5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to add Blind Spot?

Revans

Reaction score
So should this work for 2021 Laramie with level 1 package, currently they call it level A as they have chip shortage apparently and only took $200 off package cost with out Blind Spot, level 1 is supposed to come with Blind spot, I ordered truck today but disappointed about blind spot detection feature not included. Would hope they installed correct mirrors and sensors in taillights anyway any one know if this is the case. Delivery 8-10 wks out now.

Lthary

Reaction score
What is the difference between left and right sensor? I'm trying to find a driver side BSM but it seems I can find only left or the sensor without heat sink

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brookelf

Reaction score
What is the difference between left and right sensor? I'm trying to find a driver side BSM but it seems I can find only left or the sensor without heat sink

Don't quote me on this but I would think it has to do with the position/projection of the sonar pulse.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They are the same part number. An extra ground wire for the passenger side sensor is how the system determines sides.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the sensors are the same, but you'll need the metal back/cover portions have different shapes for left & right.

what part you looking for - the sensor, the metal backer, or both? I have a spare sensor if you just need that.

Lthary

Reaction score
the sensors are the same, but you'll need the metal back/cover portions have different shapes for left & right.

what part you looking for - the sensor, the metal backer, or both? I have a spare sensor if you just need that.
I'm looking for both, the sensor and the metal cover ,for driver side

JayStein

Reaction score
There should not be any 20' wiring harness you have to buy. You have to buy 2 harnesses, left and right "jumper" harness. These go from the tail light to the main wiring harness under the truck. You have to make the other harness yourself as detailed in the document in post #106 (page 6 of this thread).

PN:
68357220AC - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wiring-taillamp~68357220ac.html
68357222AC - https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wiring-taillamp~68357222ac.html
Can someone tell me if the BSM taillight jumper harnesses have changed after 2019? I have a 2020 1500 DT and it comes up as not compatible and offers up a diiferent part # of 68505930AA and 68505931AA as a possible replacement, but I believe these are for a truck with ram boxes.

Thanks

JayStein

Reaction score
I think I have it sorted out. I took a look at what I have installed and it is the same harness on both driver and passenger. Part # 68441333AA. Both harnesses have all 12 slots in the connector populated with wires already. I think I just need to pinin the BSM connector in the taillamp socket and the inside can bus wires and I should be good to go

Dadamets

Reaction score
Can you let us know how it went? Did you add the bsm monitors to your existing tail lights and then wire them in?

I have a 21 Big Horn Lvl 1 and have a set of the led tails with the bsm already installed. Would I just need to add the wiring under the driver seat?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

JayStein

Reaction score
Successful install! Thanks to all that provided input for this mod. Also thanks to @Roman2179 for the parts and @Jimmy07 for the harnesses. I modified the non BSM LED taillight housing. No blind spot indicator on the mirrors but plan on just adding a small amber LED in the door panel or trim. That will be good enough for me and is much cheaper. Thanks again for those that share the knowledge!

pflores

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this on a 2020 2500 HD? Was wondering if it’s the same process as with the 1500s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JayStein

Reaction score
did you drop voltage with resistor? not too bright ?
Great question, short answer is "no". But, I haven't tested at night yet. Initial day time driving it seems just bright enough for both daytime and night time driving.

Edit: Here is a daytime look with the indicator LED enabled "on" via AlfaOBD.

20210519_154025.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully done this on a 2020 2500 HD? Was wondering if it’s the same process as with the 1500s.

Yes. It’s the same process. You need the tail light jumper harnesses (or at least check your existing ones to see if they are already the right ones), and the missing section of canbus wires going to the can IHS block- except the HDs, the wires don’t go from the connector under the seat, but from the one behind the front driver side wheel well. If you have tow mirrors, you can just swap the glass out for the glass that has the indicators. You can’t use 2019 tail lights BSM part numbers on you 2020 HD, you must use 2020+ sensors, or 2020+ tail lights with sensors. I can build you the harnesses for the mirror glass, and the canbus harness if you need.

pflores

Reaction score
Yes. It’s the same process. You need the tail light jumper harnesses (or at least check your existing ones to see if they are already the right ones), and the missing section of canbus wires going to the can IHS block- except the HDs, the wires don’t go from the connector under the seat, but from the one behind the front driver side wheel well. If you have tow mirrors, you can just swap the glass out for the glass that has the indicators. You can’t use 2019 tail lights BSM part numbers on you 2020 HD, you must use 2020+ sensors, or 2020+ tail lights with sensors. I can build you the harnesses for the mirror glass, and the canbus harness if you need.

Thanks, Jimmy. Do you happen to know what the part number for the 2020+ BSMs is? Hoping it is not this one 68442393ae :). I had already bought two of these 68263397ad but it is sounds like those are the ones you are saying don’t work, ugh. Interested in the harnesses for the mirror glass and the canbus. If you can pm me with pricing info that would be great! Thanks.

nandalora

Reaction score
So should this work for 2021 Laramie with level 1 package, currently they call it level A as they have chip shortage apparently and only took $200 off package cost with out Blind Spot, level 1 is supposed to come with Blind spot, I ordered truck today but disappointed about blind spot detection feature not included. Would hope they installed correct mirrors and sensors in taillights anyway any one know if this is the case. Delivery 8-10 wks out now.

I hear ya man. I order my Laramie with level 2 right at the time when they changed the name to "B". I didn't know they removed BSM until I took delivery. I was pretty disappointed. So I'm following this thread closely.

I'm curious if my tail lights have the sensors but I assume not because I think that is the part with the chip shortage. My tow mirrors do not have the indicator btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klahanie

Reaction score
Like nanDakota, I just took delivery of a 2021 Ram 2500. I ordered the truck with Laramie Equipment Level 1, the Safety Group and the Towing Technology Group. The Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection was part of each of these packages. The truck that was delivered had Laramie Equipment Group B, Safety Group B and Towing Technology Group B and non of these groups included Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross Path Detection (BSM). I use my truck to pull an Airstream an average of 12,000 miles a year and drivers on the road are becoming far more aggressive which is why I wanted BSM. I am very interested in adding BSM to my 2500.

I have looked at my tail lights and the wiring to the plug is not fully populated and there is no BSM module in the tail light assembly. I am assuming that I will need both tail light assemblies, 2 jumper cables for the tail light assemblies and hopefully, one of Jimmy07’s CAN bus harnesses. If anyone has the part numbers for the tail light assemblies with the BSM module and the part number for the tail light jumpers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Georgf

Reaction score
Thank you guys for a detailed story on how DIY this mod. I ask you a couple more questions,
- if I replace only the mirror glass without changing the case, can I connect the blind spot indicator with a some custom cable, and where exactly?
- Replacing halogen taillights with led is plug-and-play, just add them after by AlphaOBD?

Users who are viewing this thread