5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it a straight switch from regular Taillights to LED's?

Nozzleman

Reaction score
So I want to install the LED taillights on my truck, my question is, when I swapped my headlights I needed a harness to make it work, do the taillights need some sort of a harness or do they plug right in?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nop, just plug them in. First thing I did on mine.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks. I'm trying to find a decent deal on some used ones, because new is really expensive and apparently there is also a back log when you order :rolleyes:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nop, just plug them in. First thing I did on mine.
You might need to tweek a setting with AlfaOBD. I actually noticed this in the BCM log you sent me, but didn’t think anything of it- I figured you changed the rear LED settings because you added bulbs. CBC Config I/O Usage: Separated Lighting Brake Lamp Dropout should be set to “YES” for the factory LED tail lights. On the factory incandescent tail lamps, the brake lamp bulbs are separate from the turn lamps (red for the brakes, and amber for the turns). When the brake lights are on, and you are using a turn signal, both brake lights stay illuminated while the amber turn bulb flashes.
On the LED tails, the red brake lights and amber turn signal lights are on the same LED array board. If you go test right now with the above mentioned setting set to “NO”, you might notice that when the brake lights are on, and you activate a turn signal, that LED array will flash “amber-red-amber-red...”. Changing that setting to YES will allow it to work properly so the turn signal LED array will flash “amber-off-amber-off...”

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, you're right. Just checked my lights. Brake lights on and yellow on top of it. Changed the settings and all good.
Thanks.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
You might need to tweek a setting with AlfaOBD. I actually noticed this in the BCM log you sent me, but didn’t think anything of it- I figured you changed the rear LED settings because you added bulbs. CBC Config I/O Usage: Separated Lighting Brake Lamp Dropout should be set to “YES” for the factory LED tail lights. On the factory incandescent tail lamps, the brake lamp bulbs are separate from the turn lamps (red for the brakes, and amber for the turns). When the brake lights are on, and you are using a turn signal, both brake lights stay illuminated while the amber turn bulb flashes.
On the LED tails, the red brake lights and amber turn signal lights are on the same LED array board. If you go test right now with the above mentioned setting set to “NO”, you might notice that when the brake lights are on, and you activate a turn signal, that LED array will flash “amber-red-amber-red...”. Changing that setting to YES will allow it to work properly so the turn signal LED array will flash “amber-off-amber-off...”
So, instead of the Alpha, can I use a Tazer DT to change the setting?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I’m betting no, tazer probably does not take into account that particular setting. They probably just have it programmed to change all the rear light settings to LED, and that’s it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Don't know about DT for Ram but the Tazer JL for jeeps has the settings to switch over to LED.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about DT for Ram but the Tazer JL for jeeps has the settings to switch over to LED.
As far as the tazer goes, their LED tails settings are only going to deal with this block of settings in the BCM, no matter what vehicle it is (they all share the same BCM configurations)- BF8FD523-2FB5-4AC1-9A1B-11FBDDA9B49F.jpeg
The JL/JT has a different tail light strategy because they use combined rear lighting- the brake light circuit from the BCM handles both brake lights and turn signals, and they are combined as one red light array. The DT uses separate circuits for the brake lights and turn signals lights, and they have a different drop out strategy between the incandescent tails and LED tails options, hence the reason for the setting I mentioned in my above post.
Now, if @Nozzleman already has tazer DT, I would definitely use it first to see if it addresses that brake light dropout behavior, but I highly doubt it. They are probably just handling the same block of LED settings as the JT, JL, Grand Cherokee, etc, which is just turning off the PWM to those light circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread