5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is etorque a true hybrid or is the state just taking advantage

U

User_3336

Just checked. My Ram 1500 Etorque Hemi shows "GAS" on my registration, so i won't be dealing with this crap from the state.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, anything I type in Google shows that your numbers are crap. Ram ain't selling onyl 105k pickups a year.

Clearly you didn't use the skills of a 3rd grader as I suggested. The very first return for a google search for "etorque sales per year" returns this story. I never said Ram was selling only 105k pickups a year.

Even so, your microscopic focus on the exact number is causing you to miss the point entirely. As I previously indicated in the last sentence of the post you attacked, if the author of the story is wrong and 10 times that number are sold, it's still a very small % of the number of vehicles registered in a single state and the total collected by the state will be relatively small and unlikely be something a lawyer will ever care about.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Clearly you didn't use the skills of a 3rd grader as I suggested. The very first return for a google search for "etorque sales per year" returns this story. I never said Ram was selling only 105k pickups a year.

Even so, your microscopic focus on the exact number is causing you to miss the point entirely. As I previously indicated in the last sentence of the post you attacked, if the author of the story is wrong and 10 times that number are sold, it's still a very small % of the number of vehicles registered in a single state and the total collected by the state will be relatively small and unlikely be something a lawyer will ever care about.
That article is from the very first year of eTorque even being an option for Ram, on the brand new 5th gen ram 2019.
Nice try

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That article is from the very first year of eTorque even being an option for Ram, on the brand new 5th gen ram 2019.
Nice try

Irrelevant to the facts I have stated and your extreme tunnel vision is causing you to miss the point entirely.

I have proven to you I did not fabricate those numbers as you fictitiously claimed. As I clearly stated previously..."Even if the actual number in Tennessee is 10 times that volume it's still a very small dollar amount left for the lawyers after paying their clients."

For gods sake, think harder. According to Statista, there are only about 2.3 million total vehicles registered in the state of Tennessee. Only a microscopic fraction of that volume will be eTorque vehicles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Irrelevant to the facts I have stated and your extreme tunnel vision is causing you to miss the point entirely.

I have proven to you I did not fabricate those numbers as you fictitiously claimed. As I clearly stated previously..."Even if the actual number in Tennessee is 10 times that volume it's still a very small dollar amount left for the lawyers after paying their clients."

For gods sake, think harder. According to Statista, there are only about 2.3 million total vehicles registered in the state of Tennessee. Only a microscopic fraction of that volume will be eTorque vehicles.
I'm still waiting for you to state facts.

U

User_3336

Since the ORIGINAL POST is specific to TN (as the OP reported it), my registration DOES NOT say anything about Etorque or hybrid, period.
It says "GAS" as the kind of vehicle. TN Department of Revenue classified it as such.
So, no need to be worried if you own a ram w/etorque.

U

User_3336

Tennesse has a new law that adds an additional $100 for hybrid owners and $200 for ev owners when they renew license plates. This is to recoup lost gasoline tax revenue because less gasoline is purchased to operate these vehicles. My 21 Ram 1500 etorque has been classified as a hybrid and i must pay the additional $100. i average in the low 15 mpg range over a 5000 mile oil change so i dont see a gas milage advantage. So... no hybrid electric motor on this thing just a big ole thirsty V8. Is the etorque really a hybrid or is the state screwing over Tennessee Ram Etorque owners.
Where are you getting that etorque is classfied as a hybrid? Certainly doesn't say that on your registration (after I finally looked).

U

User_3336

Per the state statute (TN Public Chapter No. 159): "(2) "Hybrid electric vehicle": (A) Means a vehicle that is primarily powered by an electric motor that draws current from rechargeable storage batteries, fuel cells, or other sources of electric current and also operates on, or is capable of operating on, a nonelectrical source of power; and (B) Does not include a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle..."
I just looked, my registration states "GAS" as to the kind of vehicle.
OP hasn't returned since his 1st post.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just looked, my registration states "GAS" as to the kind of vehicle.
OP hasn't returned since his 1st post.

Since the ORIGINAL POST is specific to TN (as the OP reported it), my registration DOES NOT say anything about Etorque or hybrid, period.
It says "GAS" as the kind of vehicle. TN Department of Revenue classified it as such.
So, no need to be worried if you own a ram w/etorque.

So you're saying this whole thread is pointless? OP stired the pot and hasn't been back since.

U

User_3336

So you're saying this whole thread is pointless? OP stired the pot and hasn't been back since.
Kinda hard to tell at this point. The TN Dept of Revenue new rule about the registration IS actual.
BUT registration DOES NOT classify etorque as "hybrid". It simply says "GAS" in the vehicle classification.

With that said, yeah, the thread is kinda useless, if it refers to a Ram 1500 Etorque.

OP needs to return and explain where he got this (although the legislation if legit), and who told him he would have to pay the extra $100.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tennesse has a new law that adds an additional $100 for hybrid owners and $200 for ev owners when they renew license plates. This is to recoup lost gasoline tax revenue because less gasoline is purchased to operate these vehicles. My 21 Ram 1500 etorque has been classified as a hybrid and i must pay the additional $100. i average in the low 15 mpg range over a 5000 mile oil change so i dont see a gas milage advantage. So... no hybrid electric motor on this thing just a big ole thirsty V8. Is the etorque really a hybrid or is the state screwing over Tennessee Ram Etorque owners.
Have to see if the OP returns and explains. Otherwise, it doesn't refer to an etorque.

The OP specifically referred to his etorque Ram 1500 in his first and only post, which I quoted above your post.

U

User_3336

The OP specifically referred to his etorque Ram 1500 in his first and only post, which I quoted above your post.
Yes, we already established this was his first and only post. Am I missing something? Did you read the entire thread?

Arth

Reaction score
So I have a 2023 Ram e torque and I am registered in TN. I haven't researched the new law but my registration doesn't say anything about hybrid.

What gives? OP ever come back around and expound?

My registration isn't due until September so I won't care until then.

U

User_3336

So I have a 2023 Ram e torque and I am registered in TN. I haven't researched the new law but my registration doesn't say anything about hybrid.

What gives? OP ever come back around and expound?

My registration isn't due until September so I won't care until then.
Does your registration say "GAS" like mine?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, we already established this was his first and only post. Am I missing something? Did you read the entire thread?
Haha my bad. I was wondering if YOU had read the entire thread when I posted that. Now I see SpeedyV's post and it makes sense. You quoted SpeedyV when you said "Otherwise, it doesn't refer to an etorque.". I took the "it" to mean this thread, but you meant the new tax.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP's claim "My 21 Ram 1500 etorque has been classified as a hybrid and i must pay the additional $100" is even true.

It was his only post in the forum so it's possible he just threw and hand grenade and ran. NHTSA's vin decoder clearly says the primary fuel is gasoline and doesn't even mention anything about eTorque or it being a hybrid.

The Tennessee law specifically defines a hybrid as being "primarily powered by an electric motor". The NHTSA's vin decoder specifically lists my eTorque Ram as having a "Primary Fuel Type" of Gasoline so it clearly does not meet Tennessee's definition of a hybrid.

Arth

Reaction score

So it isn't listed on the registration card it's listed on the receipt. Mine does say Hybrid.

Interesting. Guess I'll find out more at renewal time.

Photo as proof. Registered out of Sumner county.

20240122_114645.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread