5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is etorque a true hybrid or is the state just taking advantage

dajogejr

Reaction score
A. I think it’s BS you have to pay an extra fee for a “mild hybrid”, first and foremost. I’m with you.
B. But for discussion’s sake. One could make the argument that it does save fuel by assisting with stop/start, powering your vehicle while off, eTorque also supplies power between shifts to eliminate fuel needs, etc.

Again, totally splitting very, very thin hairs there with my point. But I agree, it should not qualify as a “hybrid” by law.
I see an eventual class action law suit, but for me personally… the cost AND time to fight that is worth more than the money to spend. Your money, your time.

stevieb92

Reaction score
Politicians always think that when you (the taxpayer) don't have to pay a tax, fee, etc, it was "their" money to begin with and they will try to figure out new ways to get "their" money back out of your pocket. This needs to stop. They never attempt to reduce the spending side of the equation. They always want more "revenue" to spend on their pet projects to make it seem that they are "doing something" for the lowly peasant.

irishwake63

Reaction score
so do gas efficient vehicles have to pay the tax as well since they are taking from the revenue?

U

User_3336

Again, totally splitting very, very thin hairs there with my point. But I agree, it should not qualify as a “hybrid” by law.
I see an eventual class action law suit, but for me personally… the cost AND time to fight that is worth more than the money to spend. Your money, your time.
Yeah, sue the state, right....

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A. I think it’s BS you have to pay an extra fee for a “mild hybrid”, first and foremost. I’m with you.
B. But for discussion’s sake. One could make the argument that it does save fuel by assisting with stop/start, powering your vehicle while off, eTorque also supplies power between shifts to eliminate fuel needs, etc.
There of tons of vehicles that start/stop without etorque and none of them are listed as a hybrid... The Ram system just does it smoother because there is no alternator and has an second battery that is healthier to drain down vs a lead acid filled battery.
Etorque also does not supply power during shifts, it only powers when resuming from start/stop for the first half a turn (whatever joke that means).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Etorque also does not supply power during shifts, it only powers when resuming from start/stop for the first half a turn (whatever joke that means).
It does, in fact, apply torque during upshifts and downshifts, among other benefits (e.g., extended MDS usage, regenerative braking). This has been discussed ad nauseum on other eTorque threads, but I guess we're both too lazy to search for them right now. Watch this for a quick overview.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does, in fact, apply torque during upshifts and downshifts, among other benefits (e.g., extended MDS usage, regenerative braking). This has been discussed ad nauseum on other eTorque threads, but I guess we're both too lazy to search for them right now. Watch this for a quick overview.
There is no such thing as extended MDS usage, that has 0 to do with eTorque, and regen braking is not a benefit LOL, it is the downside needed to charge the battery, causing you to go slower and stop without hitting the brake reduces mpg and requires you to hit the gas to coast as much as a regular hemi without eTorque.
Also eTorque does not apply torque during shifts, it "makes them smoother". The transmission does it's thing like any other truck does.

You must of watcheed the sales videos from Ram and took it all to heart.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no such thing as extended MDS usage, that has 0 to do with eTorque, and regen braking is not a benefit LOL, it is the downside needed to charge the battery, causing you to go slower and stop without hitting the brake reduces mpg and requires you to hit the gas to coast as much as a regular hemi without eTorque.
Also eTorque does not apply torque during shifts, it "makes them smoother". The transmission does it's thing like any other truck does.

You seem to be inclined to believe that when published data is contrary to your position it's because the manufacture is lying and you are the correct one even though there is no logical reason for the manufacture to lie. I seriously doubt the manufacture is lying about this just as they are not lying about headlight aiming being the reason for alternating axle air suspension height changes.

Every source I have read on eTorque says it provides added torque during shifting and to smooth MDS activation as well as added torque during auto start. Some sources claim it also adds torque under some towing conditions to prevent excessive downshifts.

How RAM eTorque Works | Green Car Journal

What is your source to support the belief that everyone else is lying?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Completely my mistake for believing Ram’s engineering team…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You seem to be inclined to believe that when published data is contrary to your position it's because the manufacture is lying and you are the correct one even though there is no logical reason for the manufacture to lie. I seriously doubt the manufacture is lying about this just as they are not lying about headlight aiming being the reason for alternating axle air suspension height changes.

Every source I have read on eTorque says it provides added torque during shifting and to smooth MDS activation as well as added torque during auto start. Some sources claim it also adds torque under some towing conditions to prevent excessive downshifts.

How RAM eTorque Works | Green Car Journal

What is your source to support the belief that everyone else is lying?
eTorque does not smooth MDS activation, they have nothing to do with each other.
It also does not provide torque under towing conditions, unless you are referring to regen braking which happens if you take your foot off the gas unless you are referring to

You're sources are clearly wrong.

Show me a single technical document that is not sales person crap that explains from RAM that eTorque makes MDS activate "smooth"er vs a truck without eTorque.
The idea you have that the manufactures have no logical reason to lie shocks me, as manufactures have every reason to lie about anything and everything that they will not get caught for.
I can only think you do not live in America if you think that is true.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque does not smooth MDS activation, they have nothing to do with each other.
It also does not provide torque under towing conditions, unless you are referring to regen braking which happens if you take your foot off the gas unless you are referring to

You're sources are clearly wrong.

Show me a single technical document that is not sales person crap that explains from RAM that eTorque makes MDS activate "smooth"er vs a truck without eTorque.
The idea you have that the manufactures have no logical reason to lie shocks me, as manufactures have every reason to lie about anything and everything that they will not get caught for.
I can only think you do not live in America if you think that is true.

Your opinions are without credibility.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So eTorque adds complexity to the truck, does not increase MPG and now results in higher registration fees?

Glad Ram killed it off, what a mess! I wonder how many folks passed on a Ram these past few years due to it being eTorque only...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So eTorque adds complexity to the truck, does not increase MPG and now results in higher registration fees?

Glad Ram killed it off, what a mess! I wonder how many folks passed on a Ram these past few years due to it being eTorque only...
They didn't kill it off.
It's still the only way to get a Pentastar now, and the only option besides turbos.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What are you talking about? Ram never killed it off. And who said it doesn't add MPG? And Tennessee seems to be the only start adding higher fees. Your whole post makes no sense.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Ram never killed it off. And who said it doesn't add MPG? And Tennessee seems to be the only start adding higher fees. Your whole post makes no sense.
I took his comment to mean he was talking about the Hemi in general with that comment. Regardless,
I'll be one to say it didn't add any MPG I could notice. Granted, my commute has one stop. And even then I never have to sit there because there's no traffic ever in that area. So the stop/start really didn't ever even activate. I can see it saving gas for people who's commute has lots of long stop lights. So it's extra complexity for really no benefit for us. Which is the main reason we got rid of the 2021, which had etorque, and kept the 2020 which doesn't.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the Hemi. And yes, Ram killed that off.

I've owned 7 NON eTorque Hemi's through the years and have never once wished it had the MGU, an extra battery pack or start/stop (which I disabled on my F150).

How does that not make sense? Many hear have said it does NOT improve MPG...

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took his comment to mean he was talking about the Hemi in general with that comment. Regardless,
I'll be one to say it didn't add any MPG I could notice. Granted, my commute has one stop. And even then I never have to sit there because there's no traffic ever in that area. So the stop/start really didn't ever even activate. I can see it saving gas for people who's commute has lots of long stop lights. So it's extra complexity for really no benefit for us. Which is the main reason we got rid of the 2021, which had etorque, and kept the 2020 which doesn't.
Glad to see I'm not alone.

I was tempted to order a new '23 until I saw you had to get eTorque. Instead I took my time and found another '19 (3 years after I sold my first since I never drove it).

Users who are viewing this thread