5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is etorque a true hybrid or is the state just taking advantage

hwilson193

Reaction score
Tennesse has a new law that adds an additional $100 for hybrid owners and $200 for ev owners when they renew license plates. This is to recoup lost gasoline tax revenue because less gasoline is purchased to operate these vehicles. My 21 Ram 1500 etorque has been classified as a hybrid and i must pay the additional $100. i average in the low 15 mpg range over a 5000 mile oil change so i dont see a gas milage advantage. So... no hybrid electric motor on this thing just a big ole thirsty V8. Is the etorque really a hybrid or is the state screwing over Tennessee Ram Etorque owners.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tennesse has a new law that adds an additional $100 for hybrid owners and $200 for ev owners when they renew license plates. This is to recoup lost gasoline tax revenue because less gasoline is purchased to operate these vehicles. My 21 Ram 1500 etorque has been classified as a hybrid and i must pay the additional $100. i average in the low 15 mpg range over a 5000 mile oil change so i dont see a gas milage advantage. So... no hybrid electric motor on this thing just a big ole thirsty V8. Is the etorque really a hybrid or is the state screwing over Tennessee Ram Etorque owners.
It's not a hybrid at all. Ram doesn't even classify it as a hybrid. State is screwing you over.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram considers eTorque to be a hybrid and calls it "mild hybrid technology" on their website.

I doubt state law distinguishes between mild, moderate, extreme, barely there or any other level of hybrid and just apply the same law to all levels of hybrid.

1705517346681.png

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s technically a P0 hybrid (the lowest level). You’d have to read through the TN law to see how it defines “hybrid”.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Per the state statute (TN Public Chapter No. 159): "(2) "Hybrid electric vehicle": (A) Means a vehicle that is primarily powered by an electric motor that draws current from rechargeable storage batteries, fuel cells, or other sources of electric current and also operates on, or is capable of operating on, a nonelectrical source of power; and (B) Does not include a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle..."

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My “mild hybrid” gets worse gas mileage than my pure Hemi’s did without eTorque. I would be so pissed if I had to pay an extra registration fee for a gimmick that is nothing more than a feel good advertisement to sell more vehicles.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Per the state statute (TN Public Chapter No. 159): "(2) "Hybrid electric vehicle": (A) Means a vehicle that is primarily powered by an electric motor that draws current from rechargeable storage batteries, fuel cells, or other sources of electric current and also operates on, or is capable of operating on, a nonelectrical source of power; and (B) Does not include a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle..."

Since the Ram is not "primarily powered by an electric motor" he might be able to win an argument, but the cost to win that argument might exceed the $100 per year tax.

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
It's a stretch on the part of whoever included it for the tax, but will he hard to fight.

It is impossible to drive an eTorque-equipped Ram on electric alone. It is a very mild assist breaking the inertia when at a stop and assists with auto stop/start to produce a smoother transition to moving forward.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since the Ram is not "primarily powered by an electric motor" he might be able to win an argument, but the cost to win that argument might exceed the $100 per year tax.
Agree that there's no way eTorque meets that definition of a hybrid vehicle.

Further, the ambiguity in that clause will make the law difficult to enforce (or provide grounds for a class-action lawsuit):
  • If a hybrid generates <50% of its power from an electric motor, then it is not "primarily powered by an electric motor"...right?
  • If a hybrid is "primarily powered by an electric motor" only under certain conditions, but not at all times, then is it exempt?

jlau76

Reaction score
Wait hold on....this doesn't relate to your question, but really brings up more questions.

So in your State, you have a Gas Tax? Am I to assume this Gas Tax is like ours here in Ontario, Canada were it's sole purpose is to change people behavior by buying more "environmentally" friendly vehicles to fight off global warming (NOTE: I put "environmentally" in quotations because I am questioning how green EV's are)? That's really backwards that they would charge you more on your license renewal because you have a "environmentally" friendly vehicle now that your not paying taxes through the pumps!!

Am I misunderstanding the logic? Or is that gas tax something unrelated.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just proves it's all about the Benjamins!! Honestly $200 EV is cheap, because I'm sure people spend over that on gas tax for the year with driving.

IL is .392 cent per gallon roughly $392 at 15 MPG for the average 15K miles per year? Brain might be wrong :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Highest is California .51 per GAL. Google says.

Gren71

Reaction score
IMO if it didn't qualify for a federal or state rebate for the purchase of a hybrid vehicle, it shouldn't be taxed as one, or have fees levied against it, at any point. Big shock the gubment is finding new a inventive ways to claw more money from your pocket.

auburnvfr

Reaction score
Wait hold on....this doesn't relate to your question, but really brings up more questions.

So in your State, you have a Gas Tax? Am I to assume this Gas Tax is like ours here in Ontario, Canada were it's sole purpose is to change people behavior by buying more "environmentally" friendly vehicles to fight off global warming (NOTE: I put "environmentally" in quotations because I am questioning how green EV's are)? That's really backwards that they would charge you more on your license renewal because you have a "environmentally" friendly vehicle now that your not paying taxes through the pumps!!

Gas taxes here are a source of revenue for the state, generally allotted to roadway infrastructure maintenance/improvement. It has not traditionally been a penalty (sin) tax, but there are many that would like to change that based on their politics.

U

User_3336

Is this what you are referring to ? ? ?

VR-5 - Registration Fees for Hybrid or Electric Vehicles​

Currently, the registration fee for a hybrid is the same as all other private passenger vehicles; the state fee is $26.50.
Fee Schedule for All-Electric Vehicles
The registration fee for all-electric vehicles is as follows:
  • For registration renewals on or after January 1, 2024, and prior to January 1, 2027: $200.
  • For registration renewals on or after January 1, 2027, and prior to January 1, 2028: $274.
  • For registration renewals on or after January 1, 2028, and thereafter: $274, adjusted annually for inflation.
Fee Schedule for Hybrid Electric Vehicles and Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles
The registration fee for hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles is as follows:
  • For registration renewals on or after January 1, 2024, and prior to January 1, 2028: $100.
  • For registration renewals on or after January 1, 2028, and thereafter: $100, adjusted annually for inflation.
References
Pub. Ch. 159 (2023)

I looked on my registration, and I don't see any reference to "hybrid" on my 1500 Etorque.

U

User_3336

Further found . . . People at TN Dept of Revenue just sit around the round table in their pish-posh offices in the tower and think up ways to further screw TN residents.

- - -

"As a state, we must prepare for how we will make up for lost gas tax revenue that is essential to building and maintaining our roads and other infrastructure. The previous registration fee for electric vehicles was well below the average paid by drivers of gas-powered vehicles annually. This is fair to all drivers by providing an equitable way to ensure a dedicated future source of funding for our roads."

The Tennessee Department of Revenue sent out this notice:

Transportation Modernization Act of 2023 Changes Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Registration Fees; Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Fees Increase

The Transportation Modernization Act of 2023, Public Chapter 159 (2023), increases the registration fee for electric vehicles, and creates a registration fee for hybrid vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles. The fees apply in addition to the standard registration fee and
only apply at the time the vehicle registration is renewed.

--------------------------

On Thursday, the Tennessee General Assembly passed the Transportation Modernization Act, a $3.3 billion package from Gov. Bill Lee’s administration that creates new funding streams for road projects.

**************We all f***ing hate Gov. Bill Lee anyways****************

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

Pretty much to make up for lost revenue in the gas tax.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a mild hybrid, but it does not classify as a hybrid for any legal purpose.
There are several tax breaks in MA and even other discounts when it comes to insurance but none of then apply as a mild hybrid is not considered a hybrid by any part of the law at least in my state.
The truck can not be driven by the hybrid battery or for that matter even idle on the battery, the engine shuts off when it's engaged, so no hybrid action going on, just a second battery to assist with start/stop functions to a pause fuel consumption when immobile only.

Users who are viewing this thread