5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is an Alignment Necessary When Replacing Tires?

esmith818

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 RAM 1500 from an online seller. When I took it to my local dealer for a purchase inspection, they said that the front, right tire was previously patched and had a slow leak which would require a new tire to fix (I can confirm the leak since tire dropped 3 PSI overnight while others were unchanged). They are also suggesting replacement of both tires on the front axle at the same time. As part of that repair, they are recommending a 4-wheel alignment.

I have been a loyal Discount Tire customer for years. I can get the same tires (Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT) for $20 less per tire. But DT doesn't do alignments. Do I really need a 4-wheel alignment to replace the front tires or is this just a dealer trying to up sell me? He claims a 2-wheel alignment uses the same process and I may as well address all 4 while it's on the lift.

I also noticed in another thread that alignments may be covered under warranty. The truck has 30k and is still under factory warranty. In the event an alignment IS necessary, should I be questioning who covers that expense?

DomW

Reaction score
I would only have a vehicle alignment done is if it hit something hard in the road like a large pothole or chunk of firewood. Although a shop did do a check with a system that checks all four wheels on my Lotus Exige as part of an overall check-up. I trust them to do it right and only if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread