5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is air suspension worth it?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes and no...so Porsche hasn't used air suspension except for their SUVs with the off road package in almost 10 years. It's mainly the adjustable air suspension that is unreliable. But VW and Audi no longer use the traditional air suspension. My boss has a newer porche 911 and he asked about the air suspension, the dealer techs told him they don't use that air suspension crap anymore.
Audi Q7 and Q8 do offer “traditional“ air suspension, and instead of going away, they are adding models. The 2021 Q5 will also offer air suspension as an option.

MB (my prior GL & GLS550 comes with it standard), and yes, Porsche SUVs are available as options.
Same with Lexus SUVs (GX460 & LX570). Land Rover has had air suspensions for years as well.

The 4th gen RAM was problematic, but that doesn’t mean that every other iteration will be.

Cheers,

Stevenc150

Reaction score
That's actually a good way of looking at it too. Anything can be great while under warranty lol.
I thot that too until my prev. Rebel air susp. cost me ~10 trips to 2 different dealerships; several smelly rental vehicles, etc. to finally solve the problem. So I sold it & opted my new Ram w/o it just strictly from the headaches & life disrupting aggravation alone.

But again not talking peeps out of it...just letting them know theres a risk vs. reward to air susp

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thot that too until my prev. Rebel air susp. cost me ~10 trips to 2 different dealerships; several smelly rental vehicles, etc. to finally solve the problem. So I sold it & opted my new Ram w/o it just strictly from the headaches & life disrupting aggravation alone.

But again not talking peeps out of it...just letting them know theres a risk vs. reward to air susp
That's what I'm saying too, it's a gamble and I think that climate might have something to do with how well it holds up. But some like to defend their purchase based on pride over statistics and practicality

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying too, it's a gamble and I think that climate might have something to do with how well it holds up. But some like to defend their purchase based on pride over statistics and practicality
Well no, because the 5th gen AS have not shown to be unreliable or have any of the issues the 4tgh gens had, even those living through Canadian winters, so it’s a moot point until someone can prove otherwise.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Audi Q7 and Q8 do offer “traditional“ air suspension, and instead of going away, they are adding models. The 2021 Q5 will also offer air suspension as an option.

MB (my prior GL & GLS550 comes with it standard), and yes, Porsche SUVs are available as options.
Same with Lexus SUVs (GX460 & LX570). Land Rover has had air suspensions for years as well.

The 4th gen RAM was problematic, but that doesn’t mean that every other iteration will be.

Cheers,
Lmao Land Rover was sued multiple time in class action law suits for failing suspensions. And yes ..Audi Q7/Q8 uses adaptive air SPRING suspension which is very different from the traditional air suspension that plagued VW for years. I'm not saying air suspension doesn't have a place because it does make a nice ride. I'm just saying that the {traditional} air suspension has always been problematic.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes and no...so Porsche hasn't used air suspension except for their SUVs with the off road package in almost 10 years. It's mainly the adjustable air suspension that is unreliable. But VW and Audi no longer use the traditional air suspension. My boss has a newer porche 911 and he asked about the air suspension, the dealer techs told him they don't use that air suspension crap anymore.
A quick google shows that Porsche definitely still uses air suspension in their suvs as their highest level suspension and its adjustable.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well no, because the 5th gen AS have not shown to be unreliable or have any of the issues the 4tgh gens had, even those living through Canadian winters, so it’s a moot point until someone can prove otherwise.
Never said they were for the 5th Gen. Are all you air suspension guys air heads? Or just don't know how to read lol. I must be the only one that has actually worked on air suspension systems and know how they actually work. Good talk guys. Someone asked for an opinion and I gave one....time to move on.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Agreed. I think its important to have the right expectations going in... and a fall back if necessary.

Knowing what I know now about the 4th Gen troubles, I would have been less likely to take a 5th Gen truck with Air Suspension. It's been great so far, and any concerns I have about it failing in the future are greatly overshadowed by how well it's worked thus far. Knock on wood... fingers crossed...

There hasn't been much reported on these forums about Air Suspension issues with 5th Gen trucks, and I get the feeling if there were, we'd know all about it.

MetalDog

Reaction score
MB, Audi & Porsche (VW owned), Lexus, Lincoln all have vehicles with air suspension on their top tier packages... And don’t forget just about every big rig on the road. Air suspension is very reliable.

I have an LX 570, it is not an air suspension, rather it is a hydraulic suspension with oil. It's bullet-proof.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stop making the same point I'm trying to make!:ROFLMAO:

Klips_USA

Reaction score
Last post here is over a year ago. Anyone with 5th gem RAM have any issues with their air suspension?

ny2az

Reaction score
When l test drove my first DT Limited... the air suspension ride sold me as well as the quality of the interior and the 12" screen ...

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension is great for regular family or work type trucks for towing trailers and such. It's a terrible idea for a long term off road vehicle. Blowing that system in the back country would be very sucky.

ny2az

Reaction score
Air suspension is great for regular family or work type trucks for towing trailers and such. It's a terrible idea for a long term off road vehicle. Blowing that system in the back country would be very sucky.
yes, l agree ... for towing and carrying heavy items it may not be best ... for a family hauler ... it's awesome ...

bvigne01

Reaction score
I had springs in my 4th gen and Air in 5th gen. The 4th gen had better ride quality in my opinion. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't get Air ride.

Users who are viewing this thread