5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a Hub Centric Ring needed for a 78.1 wheel?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new wheels have a center bore of 78.1. Is a ring still needed for such a small gap of .3 mm?
I have called a few local shops, and have gotten mixed answers, just adding to the confusion.
Thank you in advance. Aloha.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.3 mm is about 12/1000 of an inch. 3M electrical tape is .007. You wouldn't even be able to wrap the hub once with tape and make the wheel fit!
See, that’s what I said, but then I called a reputable shop on island, and they guy I was talking to was like “you have to have hub rings”…
Again, seems logical, but for .3 mm…?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hub ring isn't needed for any lug centric wheel and lug nuts, assuming that's what you have. Some people like them to help you get a heavy wheel centered before you start the lug nuts.

In this pic, you need a ring for the lug nuts labeled flat face Ford and mag type. All others are lug centric and do not need a hub ring.

1648036930123.png

Not actually mine, but I had the exact same install. Notice the large gap between wheel and axle boss. Lug studs center enough for the tapered nuts to properly engage.
1648037228505.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread