5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 18” rim the smallest I can go

Bjmillion

Reaction score
Hi I have a 21 big horn with the stock chrome 20” rims I want to put a leveling kit and new rims and tires. I was told 18” rims is the smallest I can go ?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I have a 21 big horn with the stock chrome 20” rims I want to put a leveling kit and new rims and tires. I was told 18” rims is the smallest I can go ?
Brakes/calipers won't fit in anything smaller I would think.
Yup, brakes won't fit anything smaller. Many aftermarket 18" rims will not fit either. The OEM 18" rims barely fit, there is very little clearance. I went to 18" rims on my Limited to give myself a bit more rubber for the mild off-roading I like to do sometimes, and the winter fun I have. I went with ones off a Rebel, to make sure they'd fit.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup, brakes won't fit anything smaller. Many aftermarket 18" rims will not fit either. The OEM 18" rims barely fit, there is very little clearance. I went to 18" rims on my Limited to give myself a bit more rubber for the mild off-roading I like to do sometimes, and the winter fun I have. I went with ones off a Rebel, to make sure they'd fit.
I did the same with my Limited, 18 inch Rebel blackout wheels.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should have gone that rout so I could go 10ply for towing

Maxum

Reaction score
I wanted more rubber, because the 275/55r20's were just too rough..they habe nonplace on a real truck.. I checked on the 18" wheels, but the clearance was WAY too close for my liking. Would be fine maybe , except in the winter when ice and snow gets in there and freezes up. The other option was to go to a size taller tire, so I went to a 275/60r20, which come im a P and LT rated. They're same width, but about 33", so an inch more diameter than stock. Only issue is a very small rub on the driver's side when at full turn and going over a bump. I could have trimmed the wheel well a little, but I just got it lofted anyway, so that took care of the rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread