5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invoice is the New MSRP

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Test drove 1500 Limited.....dealer wants 10% over MSRP lol. Is getting 20% off invoice still valid? And how does the tradein process work if you are buying out of state?
SERIOUSLY????????

GregHBNA

Reaction score
In TN, the local portion (2.5% in your case) is only charged in the first $1600 of the vehicle. The state portion (7%) is charged in the entire amount less any trade-in....
The "single article tax" is $80.
EXAMPLE" The total sales price, including all associated charges, of a motor vehicle (a single article) sold in Davidson County is $20,000.  The 7% general state sales tax rate applies to the total $20,000 sales price. $20,000 x 7% = $1,400.  The local option sales tax applies to the first $1,600 of the sales price. The local option sales tax rate in Davidson County is 2.25%. $1,600 x 2.25% = $36.  The state single article sales tax applies to the sales price from $1,600.01 up to and including $3,200. The state single article rate is 2.75%. $1,600 x 2.75% = $44.  In this example, the total sales tax is $1,480.

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove 1500 Limited.....dealer wants 10% over MSRP lol. Is getting 20% off invoice still valid? And how does the tradein process work if you are buying out of state?
All of my local dealers are over MRSP. If I approach them with something like the Tread Lightly affiliate discount @ 1% below Invoice then they all got that pissy attitude about it.

Myself and several others here have 2022 Limiteds on order through Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, Louisiana. I believe we have all been priced just a tad less than 5% below invoice (like 13% below MRSP) which is a few hundred under FCA's Employee Pricing. There is the possibility of additional discounts upon delivery depending on what's out there.

If you're buying a truck off the lot, 1% below invoice is the best you'll get and they will probably hose you with "document fees" too. If you can be patient and are willing to travel or pay freight, you can save thousands even in this market where it's simply an awful time to buy a truck.

Even those of us buying through Mark Dodge are paying more than we would have 6 months ago and possibly more than we would a year from now. The timing is just right for me right now.

Last edited:

Sudar

Reaction score
All of my local dealers are over MRSP. If I approach them with something like the Tread Lightly affiliate discount @ 1% below Invoice then they all got that pissy attitude about it.

Myself and several others here have 2022 Limiteds on order through Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, Louisiana. I believe we have all been priced just a tad less than 5% below invoice which is a few hundred under FCA's Employee Pricing. There is the possibility of additional discounts upon delivery depending on what's out there.

If you're buying a truck off the lot, 1% below invoice is the best you'll get and they will probably hose you with "document fees" too. If you can be patient and are willing to travel or pay freight, you can save thousands even in this market where it's simply an awful time to buy a truck.

Even those of us buying through Mark Dodge are paying more than we would have 6 months ago and possibly more than we would a year from now. The timing is just right for me right now.

I see. Thanks for the info. No I am definitely not in any rush to buy anything. I bought my current car about 2 years ago. Just figured maybe I need something bigger and I do like current RAM diesel. I wasn't even planning to buy anything for another year.....but if there is a good deal, I don't mind

breakwater

Reaction score
Ok... Let's try to revive this thread a bit. It looks like it has been almost two years since this was last bumped. What do you think the market looks like know regarding getting a decent percentage off MSRP?

6of36

Reaction score
Back in the 70s, when I was a dealership mechanic, the cars actually had 3 invoices. The first one they would show people, and tell them that discount price was cost. The second was what they could sell for, and still make money. The only people that could see the actual cost invoice, were employees. Dealership employees would get cars for $50 over true invoice.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Back in the 70s, when I was a dealership mechanic, the cars actually had 3 invoices. The first one they would show people, and tell them that discount price was cost. The second was what they could sell for, and still make money. The only people that could see the actual cost invoice, were employees. Dealership employees would get cars for $50 over true invoice.
Even today, there's about 2-3 tiers of costs/prices.

there's supplier pricing(sometimes called friends and family discount)
There's employee pricing
And there's this magically hidden "dealer cost".
Of course, there's a thing called a "holdback" which the dealer gets when a vehicle is sold as well.

6of36

Reaction score
Even today, there's about 2-3 tiers of costs/prices.

there's supplier pricing(sometimes called friends and family discount)
There's employee pricing
And there's this magically hidden "dealer cost".
Of course, there's a thing called a "holdback" which the dealer gets when a vehicle is sold as well
There used to be only one level of employee discount, that included family and friends. Everyone who could get the discount, got the same discount. These were totally different invoices, all with different list prices. Two with different discount prices, and the third with actual cost

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking at various truck brand websites and basically none of them are offering any incentives (maybe $500) off of MSRP. Many dealers where I live are still adding market adjustments.

23RAM

Reaction score
Ok... Let's try to revive this thread a bit. It looks like it has been almost two years since this was last bumped. What do you think the market looks like know regarding getting a decent percentage off MSRP?
The last couple of years have seen high prices for new vehicles. But last summer as supply chain issues started to lessen and vehicles were showing up on dealers lots, prices and discounts started to come back slowly. By the fall prices were getting good again. We bought our truck with 17% off - make that 18% since we forgot about the $1000 winter promo rebate cheque which showed up in our mailbox, and pre-covid it was about the same discounts. We were "happy" with the price we paid as we've been shopping for about a year waiting to get into a full size truck for hauling.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
The last couple of years have seen high prices for new vehicles. But last summer as supply chain issues started to lessen and vehicles were showing up on dealers lots, prices and discounts started to come back slowly. By the fall prices were getting good again. We bought our truck with 17% off - make that 18% since we forgot about the $1000 winter promo rebate cheque which showed up in our mailbox, and pre-covid it was about the same discounts. We were "happy" with the price we paid as we've been shopping for about a year waiting to get into a full size truck for hauling.
Rebates on a 22 Big Horn are at an all time high. I just seen dealer discount of $6000, and manufacturer rebate of $7250 thru 4.3.23.

breakwater

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm looking at a Laramie right now. Hoping to get a price I can stomach! 😆

breakwater

Reaction score
Rebates on a 22 Big Horn are at an all time high. I just seen dealer discount of $6000, and manufacturer rebate of $7250 thru 4.3.23.
That's good to know. I was looking at a Laramie but may need to consider a Big Horn.

6of36

Reaction score
You won't find any substantial rebates on Limited or Laramie Trims...........They are "upper trims", and they know people who want them are willing to pay extra.
Best price and Value is with a Big Horn.
Actually at least a couple weeks ago, the rebates did include Laramie. It is rare though. It sucks, because a couple of my must haves you can't get on a Bighorn.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I usually discredit sites like msn/cnbc because they just throw numbers together in a document with no real sources to back them up (and probably for click revenue). and I sure don't trust jdpower.

breakwater

Reaction score
Actually at least a couple weeks ago, the rebates did include Laramie. It is rare though. It sucks, because a couple of my must haves you can't get on a Bighorn.
Same. I really wasn't planning to be looking for a truck yet (although I should have - my current truck is >320 k miles).

OldRider

Reaction score
I bought a 22 model a couple of weeks ago. The window sticker was $57K and I got it for $47K + tax and a $300 doc fee.

Users who are viewing this thread