5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent Key Fob Issue?

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hey all,

This afternoon I went to fire up my RAM to go pick my kids up from daycare, and it didn't remote start from inside my house (20ft from the truck, if even that far). In fact, the key fob wouldn't do ANYTHING with the truck - not lock, unlock, or remote start. I walked up to the truck and pulling on the door handle - which normally unlocks the driver's door - didn't work. After a few tries, it unlocked and I got inside, where ... as you guessed it, it said "Key Fob Not Detected" After a few more tries, it finally started, and I had no issues after that.

It was weird, since I remote started the truck yesterday and drove it to work (60 miles round trip) with no issues.

Any ideas? What's everyone seeing for battery life in the fob? Maybe that's the issue?

Does the RAM 1500 have a "low key fob battery" warning message like the F-150 does?

FWIW, I *just* tried to unlock/lock the truck from inside the house with the fob, and it worked fine.

-John

RumRam

Reaction score
Hey all,

This afternoon I went to fire up my RAM to go pick my kids up from daycare, and it didn't remote start from inside my house (20ft from the truck, if even that far). In fact, the key fob wouldn't do ANYTHING with the truck - not lock, unlock, or remote start. I walked up to the truck and pulling on the door handle - which normally unlocks the driver's door - didn't work. After a few tries, it unlocked and I got inside, where ... as you guessed it, it said "Key Fob Not Detected" After a few more tries, it finally started, and I had no issues after that.

It was weird, since I remote started the truck yesterday and drove it to work (60 miles round trip) with no issues.

Any ideas? What's everyone seeing for battery life in the fob? Maybe that's the issue?

Does the RAM 1500 have a "low key fob battery" warning message like the F-150 does?

FWIW, I *just* tried to unlock/lock the truck from inside the house with the fob, and it worked fine.

-John
I've had the same issue a few times. Very annoying. Reading other forums, this seems to be an issue with others as well, especially when trying to start truck.

Airstreamin

Reaction score
I had that happen once. Everything was completely dead, except for the alarm that went off when I used the key to get in. Worst of all, it unlocked and started when the tow truck finally got there. Makes me think twice about how far off road I go.....

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I haven't had that happen yet with my Ram, but my wife says it happened a few times on her Subaru. I kind of figured some kind of interference, or maybe her purse was a little too far away or something... Being a boring typical guy, a key fob goes in my pocket and stays there, most of the time.

Side story to keyless entry; my first vehicle with this was an Infiniti G37X. Super fast 4dr car, and I quickly hated it after a few months for how crappy everything else is... So bad that my wife and I each found excuses as to why neither of us wanted to drive it. Super reliable, but bone crushing ride and loud from wind and tires. Also sucked in the snow despite being AWD. Soured me so much I will never buy another, nor any Nissan as well.

Anyhow, back to key fob and keyless entry... I was travelling pretty much every week, like super heavy as in on average 140 flights per year, which takes a toll on a person's mental health. Got back to the airport with my roller board and computer bag at something like 11 pm, threw my bags in the trunk, not looking forward to the drive home. Slammed the trunk shut, but it wouldn't latch; tried this multiple times, same results. I finally realized that in addition to refusing to latch, it was also beeping at me. In my half asleep state, the car was being smart and refusing to allow me to have the key in the trunk (it was in my computer bag), which was actually pretty cool.:)

Back to the Ram, I guess I need to research if there is backup method to start the truck if the remote fails?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is 16 months old, still have the original battery, seems really strong too... It's at least 100ft away from my living room to the truck and it remote starts right up...

What about the 3rd brake light? Did you change the bulbs to LEDs by any chance? It's a known issue when installing low quality LEDs in the CMHSL.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all,

-John
Hi John - sorry for the trouble! If at any point you need to address this further with your Ram dealer, we are always a private message away and more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.

Mark
RamCares

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I haven't had that happen yet with my Ram, but my wife says it happened a few times on her Subaru. I kind of figured some kind of interference, or maybe her purse was a little too far away or something... Being a boring typical guy, a key fob goes in my pocket and stays there, most of the time.

Back to the Ram, I guess I need to research if there is backup method to start the truck if the remote fails?

There IS a backup method, which I saw in a YouTube video yesterday. You literally press the Start/Stop button WITH the fob, and it'll start the truck. I think the channel was Hammer Down Motorsports?

Mine is 16 months old, still have the original battery, seems really strong too... It's at least 100ft away from my living room to the truck and it remote starts right up...

What about the 3rd brake light? Did you change the bulbs to LEDs by any chance? It's a known issue when installing low quality LEDs in the CMHSL.

It was the factory light, replaced by the dealer due to leaking and letting water in the cab of the truck. I didn't do any lighting mods to the truck. In fact, the only mods I've done are tinting the windows and adding a bed cover (both done around the same time over a year ago).

Sorry for the delay - I didn't get an email that I had responses on this thread!

-John

-John

RSConsulting

Reaction score

This issue usually crops up when attempting to hit the starter button when inside the truck. It's weird - I jiggle the fob in my pocket and it works. I also carry a pretty large pocket knife, clipped in that pocket - so there's that. But the "LED High Mounted Stoplight issue" - happens (if that's the reason), when you press the brake to start (which lights the CHMSL, obviously).

I also have an issue with my garage fob - have a LED bulbs on my opener mechanism - one of them has started flickering intermittently - and the fob has a hard time working when it does.

Never had an issue with lock/unlock/remote at "reasonable distances" from the truck. These are low power/line-of-sight radio waves. The truck has antennas all over the place - which is how it detects when the fob is nearby or in the vehicle.

The "dead fob battery - hit the start button with the fob" trick - has enough energy coming out of the button to read the RFID chip inside the fob.

Try the battery first - even though the manual says "if the light on the fob lights, the battery is OK" - who knows how long the battery installed had been sitting. And if you bought off the lot - how long the fob has been sitting in various places. There could be oxidation in the battery contacts inside - any number of things.

Rick

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thanks Rick! I drove the truck again today (1.5 hours or so round trip) without any issues, so my current theory is that there was enough radio interference at that moment to cause my issue, and now it's gone, so the fob is working fine.

All good things to file in the back of my memory banks for the future though!

Oh, and does anyone know if there's a low fob battery warning which gets displayed on the truck? My F-150 had it, as does my wife's Escape. Coincidentally, even though both of those vehicles were/are 2015s, built and purchased several months apart, their key fobs died (and we got messages in the IC) on the same week!

-John

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
My first gen Challenger would do that. It didn't have remote start because it was a manual, but I'd get in and it would display "no fob detected" when I would try and start the vehicle. I found that I had to hold the fob outside the driver's side window and bring it back inside and then it would work. It also would not let me lock the doors or trunk with the fob inside and no one sitting on a seat.

Ford used to advertise, quality is job number one. I wonder where it comes in the list with FCA?

Bbeatson

Reaction score
Hi All

I’m wondering if you have had any problems with your fob since you posted this.

I have had my 2020 Ram Warlock since new without any problems, yesterday I used the the fob with no problems but shortly after I parked I went to go out and the fob would not do anything, there was no fob detection notices on the dash and it started the truck without any problem but to lock and unlock I had to press several times and then it seemed to work fine until I got out and stepped to the back of the truck, then It stopped working.
I thought maybe it was the battery so I went for the other fob that is still new but has the same issue.
I thought maybe when it was in my pocket a button was pressed for a time and maybe disabled it or even the apple AirTag of which has been on the ring for a while without problems. I’ve tried to do a few different things to reset that I read on on google without success.
If there’s anything you can advise that would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Sorry for the incomplete tale above, I accidentally hit post before I was done

Last edited:

Bbeatson

Reaction score
Hey all,

-John
Hello

I’m having intermittent issues with my fob, I’ve discovered that it’s not the battery or an issue with the AirTag.
I used the fob to unlock, lock and remote start from a good distance yesterday without problems but about 10 minutes after I parked it wouldn’t do anything so I went inside to play with it and check all the settings in the options but saw nothing wrong. After pressing the buttons several times it works but as soon as I step out it stops working until I get beside the driver door and press unlock several times it will only work again as I’ve described above.
Just wondering if there’s any advice you can offer.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:

Bbeatson

Reaction score
I had that happen once. Everything was completely dead, except for the alarm that went off when I used the key to get in. Worst of all, it unlocked and started when the tow truck finally got there. Makes me think twice about how far off road I go.....
Hey all,

-John
Hi

I’m having intermittent issues with my fob, I’ve discovered that it’s not the battery or an issue with the AirTag.
I used the fob to unlock, lock and remote start from a good distance yesterday without problems but about 10 minutes after I parked it wouldn’t do anything so I went inside the cab to play with it and check all the settings in the options but saw nothing wrong. After pressing the buttons several times it works but as soon as I step out it stops working until I get beside the driver door and press unlock several times it will only work again as I’ve described above.
Just wondering if there’s any advice you can offer.

Thanks
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread