5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent bell sounds?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I searched the forums and Internet but could not find anything on this.

I have developed a weird issue in that my truck has been making an intermittent "bell" like sound that occurs with a short series of (3) bell-like warning pings that repeats itself (so 2 times) and then stops. Sometimes it will occur soon after and sometimes not for many hours or even not for another day; there seems to be no rhyme or reason except that it is very definitive and always the same series of 3 bell-like sounds that repeat once before stopping. There are no warning lights or any other indicator that something is amiss. The sounds seem to be coming through the front speaker so definitely something electronic.

I have had this issue for a while and told my dealer when I was in for other issues, but of course they could not replicate the sound (which makes sense as it is intermittent). Any ideas on this?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have the Nav unit? Possible that you have speed limit warnings on in the Nav. Not sure if that is it. Do you have a phone plugged in or on Bluetooth? Notifications come over the speakers in the front I believe. I get audible notifications for FB, but nothing else.

DomW

Reaction score
If you have XM music and have an artist or song you are following, that could be it as mine will ring a second time several seconds latter. If XM is on and your hear the bell, look at the top of the screen for a "Now playing" alert with button. Also you could press on the "Hat" botton on the left side of the XM screen and find it from there.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have the Nav unit? Possible that you have speed limit warnings on in the Nav. Not sure if that is it. Do you have a phone plugged in or on Bluetooth? Notifications come over the speakers in the front I believe. I get audible notifications for FB, but nothing else.
The speed warnings are an actual voice, not a ding. Something like "The speed limit is xx miles per hour" when you exceed the set limit.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The speed warnings are an actual voice, not a ding. Something like "The speed limit is xx miles per hour" when you exceed the set limit.
Ah, didn't know. I've never used it. I know it was a ding on maps a long time ago. I couldn't figure why I was hearing a ding.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score

I do, but doesn't seem to matter what speed (over/under) that I am at. I do not keep my phone plugged in although I do have a dash cam using one of the USB slots but don't think that would cause anything. Thanks for the response!

If you have XM music and have an artist or song you are following, that could be it as mine will ring a second time several seconds latter. If XM is on and your hear the bell, look at the top of the screen for a "Now playing" alert with button. Also you could press on the "Hat" botton on the left side of the XM screen and find it from there.

Interesting, I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Brainstorming, thinking out loud, idle speculation, whatever.... Could it be telling you that you have unread texts?

Maybe but seems to be a weird alarm for something like that...I will see if that is the case. Thanks for the thought!

Do you ever use Waze? Waze now does an alert for R/R Crossings. It can be turned off in the app

t_bare

No, don't use Waze which confounds my wife as she loves it...lol. Thanks!

Scram1500

Reaction score
I would suggest ANC issues, but those sounds would be from the rear door speakers

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I would suggest ANC issues, but those sounds would be from the rear door speakers
Yeah, definitely from the front speakers as I originally thought the sounds were coming from behind the dash. Also, the noise is a distinct bell sound vs. feedback noise from the speakers. Weird.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Maybe dealer installed insurance/inventory GPS tracker hidden under the dash?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd look up underneath the truck to make sure you don't have some Hari Krishnas hanging out under there :p

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Maybe dealer installed insurance/inventory GPS tracker hidden under the dash?

That's interesting (and disturbing) suggestion; not sure what to look for on that.

If I were you, I'd look up underneath the truck to make sure you don't have some Hari Krishnas hanging out under there :p

lol...yeah, found some evidence of road kill so hope it wasn't that!

Scram1500

Reaction score
That's interesting (and disturbing) suggestion; not sure what to look for on that.
It's usually connected to the OBD port, there was a couple threads about these things a while ago

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
!

No, don't use Waze which confounds my wife as she loves it...lol. Thanks!
I tried using Waze a few times. When I first started, it seemed to be better for avoiding traffic delays than Google maps but then Google updated the maps. Also, I started having issues with Waze where it would be about 30' off on actual location, which would show me on side roads vs the freeways. Google maps never had that problem.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I tried using Waze a few times. When I first started, it seemed to be better for avoiding traffic delays than Google maps but then Google updated the maps. Also, I started having issues with Waze where it would be about 30' off on actual location, which would show me on side roads vs the freeways. Google maps never had that problem.
That was an issue with Android Auto messing with the GPS info and Waze. What's funny is that Waze is owned by Google.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Merge warning when you have your indicator on and your mirror detects something in your blind spot.

Well, it goes off when I am driving with no one or no objects around so don't think that is it, but I need to find a video of that to see if the sound is the same! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread