5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior lighting question & frustration

Mohab

Reaction score
Found it! put the light sitting as shown in picture and u can control the interior lights

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181109_192342.jpg
    MVIMG_20181109_192342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 214

th3duke

Reaction score
I dont think trucks shipped to Canada have the ability to turn them off in uconnect settings? I thought someone had said that before :unsure:
I can definitely confirm that we don't have that option in our Uconnect.

th3duke

Reaction score
Found it! put the light sitting as shown in picture and u can control the interior lights
Yep - that's the only way it works, but your parking lights are still on. Back in the day, you could put your emergency brake on, and it would shut them off; but gone are those days too. Thanks for the reply - sincerely appreciated - I've tried every which way and still can't get them to dim without putting the parking lights on.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Pretty positive my 2016 Ram was this way as well... Agreed though, frustrating! There's several scenarios where it'd be nice to make the interior relatively dark but still have some music.

I see what you did there. No one else noticed, but I did.......

*insert slap bass heavy 70's music*

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep - that's the only way it works, but your parking lights are still on. Back in the day, you could put your emergency brake on, and it would shut them off; but gone are those days too. Thanks for the reply - sincerely appreciated - I've tried every which way and still can't get them to dim without putting the parking lights on.
Parking brake doesn't turn off headlights in any mode? That's odd

Bigjay98

Reaction score
Nope I can't find any setting in there to dim the dash lights when the lights are off.
It only let's me dim the radio screen. The cluster lights are bright as can be. If anyone finds a way, please let us know. Thanks for your time in advance friends.

Bigjay98

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I picked up my new 2019 Ram Rebel a few weeks ago, and really like it. I traded up from a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT, and I definitely don't miss the Sierra one bit - this truck is much better in terms of comfort and power compared to what I had. Any way, I'm getting a little frustrated by one thing in this truck, and that's the interior lighting - specifically the dimming abilities of the lighting. I take my wife out a lot for estimates this time of year for her job, and wait in the truck (she doesn't like driving at night), yep husbandly duties. :)

Anyway, rather than wasting gas, I turn it off and put on the accessories to continue to listen to music. So this is the issue: the dash & stereo area (I'll call these dash lights) light up extremely bright (these definitely glare), and even though I try and dim them down - the dimmer doesn't seem to respond, unless I put on my parking lights only, then I can dim the dash lights... Has anyone found a way to turn off all of your lights (headlights, fogs, parking) and be able to dim the interior lights?

It's seriously driving me nutz, but otherwise I'm very happy with the truck. :)
Find anything yet?

Deshatt

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure anything out for this? Went to a drive in movie, and to have the radio on with all exterior lights off the dash cluster was lit up like a spotlight with no ability to dim it. I had to cover it with a cloth grocery bag. It worked but it’s ridiculous to have to do that.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
No traction on this issue? I had to cover the dashboard with my jacket while the baby tried to nap with the radio playing. I just DM'd RAMCARE... hopefully they know a work around.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know about the other trims but my Bighorn has a dimmer dial for the dash to the left of the headlight switch

Dimmer.jpg

Amerinamese

Reaction score
Have you pressed the screen off button? It should at least turn the infotainment screen off and allow the music to still play.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I picked up my new 2019 Ram Rebel a few weeks ago, and really like it. I traded up from a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT, and I definitely don't miss the Sierra one bit - this truck is much better in terms of comfort and power compared to what I had. Any way, I'm getting a little frustrated by one thing in this truck, and that's the interior lighting - specifically the dimming abilities of the lighting. I take my wife out a lot for estimates this time of year for her job, and wait in the truck (she doesn't like driving at night), yep husbandly duties. :)

Anyway, rather than wasting gas, I turn it off and put on the accessories to continue to listen to music. So this is the issue: the dash & stereo area (I'll call these dash lights) light up extremely bright (these definitely glare), and even though I try and dim them down - the dimmer doesn't seem to respond, unless I put on my parking lights only, then I can dim the dash lights... Has anyone found a way to turn off all of your lights (headlights, fogs, parking) and be able to dim the interior lights?

It's seriously driving me nutz, but otherwise I'm very happy with the truck. :)
I found a way in the menus to dim the display, but it doesn't seem to affect the dash lights. I leave the markers on only then they dim well. One notch from off.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this answers the issue, but when needed, I turn off the 'auto dim' function and then manually crank down the interior lighting and if needed, turn the screen off (like if at a drive in)

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
Not sure if this answers the issue, but when needed, I turn off the 'auto dim' function and then manually crank down the interior lighting and if needed, turn the screen off (like if at a drive in)
Where is "Auto Dim?" You mean in Settings>Display>Display Mode: Auto or Manual? I just tried both as well as other suggestions.

Nothing works if the truck is Off, Headlight switch is Off, Aux is On, Radio is on, Radio Display is "Screen Off."

As previously noted, I can turn down the gauge cluster using the dimmer as long as the Headlight switch is set to Parking Lights (1 click from Off). But, the Parking Lights are on. I guess this will work for me when the baby wants to sleep.

But as you guys noted, what happens at the drive-in? Don't they tell you to turn off the parking lights?

magic280z

Reaction score
I've never found the display off to be that useful because they leave the backlight on. They need a solution with these new brighter screens. Would be nice if the headlights were in auto it would apply dimmer signal. I don't know how the dash dimmer is triggered, but radios always have a power feed to tell it the headlights are on. Could just rig a manual override for that wire. Unless all that is running over the can bus now.

As much as they charge for the accessory computer it should have more settings.

Anybody know if the Tazer offers extra options for this?

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Users who are viewing this thread