5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior lighting question & frustration

th3duke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I picked up my new 2019 Ram Rebel a few weeks ago, and really like it. I traded up from a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT, and I definitely don't miss the Sierra one bit - this truck is much better in terms of comfort and power compared to what I had. Any way, I'm getting a little frustrated by one thing in this truck, and that's the interior lighting - specifically the dimming abilities of the lighting. I take my wife out a lot for estimates this time of year for her job, and wait in the truck (she doesn't like driving at night), yep husbandly duties. :)

Anyway, rather than wasting gas, I turn it off and put on the accessories to continue to listen to music. So this is the issue: the dash & stereo area (I'll call these dash lights) light up extremely bright (these definitely glare), and even though I try and dim them down - the dimmer doesn't seem to respond, unless I put on my parking lights only, then I can dim the dash lights... Has anyone found a way to turn off all of your lights (headlights, fogs, parking) and be able to dim the interior lights?

It's seriously driving me nutz, but otherwise I'm very happy with the truck. :)

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I picked up my new 2019 Ram Rebel a few weeks ago, and really like it. I traded up from a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT, and I definitely don't miss the Sierra one bit - this truck is much better in terms of comfort and power compared to what I had. Any way, I'm getting a little frustrated by one thing in this truck, and that's the interior lighting - specifically the dimming abilities of the lighting. I take my wife out a lot for estimates this time of year for her job, and wait in the truck (she doesn't like driving at night), yep husbandly duties. :)

Anyway, rather than wasting gas, I turn it off and put on the accessories to continue to listen to music. So this is the issue: the dash & stereo area (I'll call these dash lights) light up extremely bright (these definitely glare), and even though I try and dim them down - the dimmer doesn't seem to respond, unless I put on my parking lights only, then I can dim the dash lights... Has anyone found a way to turn off all of your lights (headlights, fogs, parking) and be able to dim the interior lights?

It's seriously driving me nutz, but otherwise I'm very happy with the truck. :)
Pretty sure the dimmer function for instrumentation is tied into the head lights. Without the headlights on the truck thinks it's day time and lights everything up at full blast.

th3duke

Reaction score
Pretty sure the dimmer function for instrumentation is tied into the head lights. Without the headlights on the truck thinks it's day time and lights everything up at full blast.

That's my conclusion as well, but you would think that the dimmer would be able to adjust brightness right?

th3duke

Reaction score
You mean adjust how bright the dash lights are during the day when the headlights are off?

No I mean adjust the dash lights at night when my lights/headlights are off (parked and just waiting with the truck turned-off), just using accessory setting on the push to start button. I can also see this being a problem going to the drive-in, you turn off your headlights and the dash lights are at full strength.

Thanks for asking for a clarification.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't the only fca product I've had that does this. It's normal......but very annoying. I remember on the other car I had when I turned the lights off and the screen got really bright I could go into the screen settings and change it from auto to night. I very vaguely remember this working, it's worth a shot.

wildrunner

Reaction score
Pretty positive my 2016 Ram was this way as well... Agreed though, frustrating! There's several scenarios where it'd be nice to make the interior relatively dark but still have some music.

th3duke

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't the only fca product I've had that does this. It's normal......but very annoying. I remember on the other car I had when I turned the lights off and the screen got really bright I could go into the screen settings and change it from auto to night. I very vaguely remember this working, it's worth a shot.
Thanks - I'll check the Uconnect setup; maybe it's an option there.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a real pain and I wonder if it's tied into the Canadian DRL issue, that we don't have the option to turn them off... which is insane, since they only have to provide them, not ensure the owner uses them. So without that ability, I wonder if that dumbs down the rest of the lighting controls.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a real pain and I wonder if it's tied into the Canadian DRL issue, that we don't have the option to turn them off... which is insane, since they only have to provide them, not ensure the owner uses them. So without that ability, I wonder if that dumbs down the rest of the lighting controls.
No adjustment for the Instrument cluster on the 'merican version either, just the manual adjustment for the screen brightness while the headlights are on or off.

Mohab

Reaction score
Lights in this truck are weird, I can't turn off my headlights while driving at night ! Even if I put them off manually they still on.

th3duke

Reaction score
Lights in this truck are weird, I can't turn off my headlights while driving at night ! Even if I put them off manually they still on.
LOL ! I don't have a need for that functionality, but not being to dim your lights for the drive-in is completely stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread