5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Insulation by trim?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That strikes me as strange. Even my 2005 f250 had a foam liner piece behind the door panel for noise reduction. So I wonder how they’ve made this truck so quiet? I can’t see just the door seals keeping out all the wind and road noise
It`s called ANC. Active Noise Cancelling.
There are microphones in the headliner that pick up noises in the cab, this gets processed and the sound system puts out a 180 degrees out of phase sound from the speakers that cancels out the noise.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
I’ve heard of the ANC but I just figured it was gear towards the sound from the motor. I didn’t know that it would capable/good enough to drown out engine and road noise. That’s nice to know. I appreciate all the replies

Kenny4

Reaction score
It would be good for you to look up threads here on the forum under interior noise. May help with some real time pros and cons.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve heard of the ANC but I just figured it was gear towards the sound from the motor. I didn’t know that it would capable/good enough to drown out engine and road noise. That’s nice to know. I appreciate all the replies
Generally it isn't. ANC is geared towards constant low pitched noise, mostly targeted towards the engine and exhaust. Not sure that it will do anything against road noise, but maybe. Even with ANC disabled, the truck is still very quiet. Its benefit is relatively minimal.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, and hopefully an owner of a new ram soon!
I’ve got a quick question for everyone and I’ve searched endlessly on google to no avail.
I know all 1500 trim levels get acoustic windshield, but what about the windows and back glass? Is that acoustic as well or maybe laminated?

And finally what about the insulation in the door panels? I know the limited has “deluxe” insulation but what about the other trims? Do they get the same amount?

Thanks for the info! Having a quiet interior is important to me, as my current truck is terrible. Road and wind noise is unbearable
Ethan
I have a Bighorn and its very quiet for a truck. I’ve had Rebel wheels and tires on it for about 6k miles now and although still pretty quiet considering the aggressive tread, the duratrack tires are much louder than the stock Duelers were. Also stay away from the window vent/visors if you don’t want wind noise. Mine are noisy on the highway.

BoDarville

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, and hopefully an owner of a new ram soon!
I’ve got a quick question for everyone and I’ve searched endlessly on google to no avail.
I know all 1500 trim levels get acoustic windshield, but what about the windows and back glass? Is that acoustic as well or maybe laminated?

And finally what about the insulation in the door panels? I know the limited has “deluxe” insulation but what about the other trims? Do they get the same amount?

Thanks for the info! Having a quiet interior is important to me, as my current truck is terrible. Road and wind noise is unbearable
Ethan
The front door glass is acoustic, but not the rear doors. I think this applies to all trims. I haven't driven a Limited, but my Laramie is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. Really makes long highway drives pleasant.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Thank you. This is great information and I appreciate it. Very excited to get one for my self so I can stop drooling over all of y’all’s

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
Pull off your door panels and tell me why they put foam inside the doors, it sure not for looks. And Yes, my 2020 Laramie is a lot quieter than my previous F-150 Platinum was.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Well to update this a little I went yesterday and test drove a limited and rebel back to back. I drove them on the same route at the same speeds and there was no noticeable difference in road/wind noise at all. I couldn’t find my decibel meter so I don’t have numerical proof, but to my ears there was no difference. As others stated it they were very quiet. Much more so than my current truck. The sales also confirmed acoustic windshield and front widows on both models. I didn’t mess with disabling the ANC though to see how much effect it had. But I was very pleased with the quietness with both trucks. Relieving to know I won’t sacrifice a quiet ride by not buying the top of the line trim. And thanks to everyone who gave their input

Th8785

Reaction score
I have a 21 bighorn, as far as roadnoise goes it is rather quiet. However, i suspect a lack of any deadener or insulation for that matter under the center console. I notice after shutting off the heat, that area goes cold again very quickly. Like many others have said though, overall it is a quiet ride for a truck, in my opinion.

dannymcd

Reaction score
Coming from an 18 Volvo S90, the Ram laRAMie 5.7L is louder, but not much, it's much quieter than any compact car, probably about the same as our 18 Pacifica at cruising speed, which is the quietest minivan you can buy.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from an 18 Volvo S90, the Ram laRAMie 5.7L is louder, but not much, it's much quieter than any compact car, probably about the same as our 18 Pacifica at cruising speed, which is the quietest minivan you can buy.
I had an '18 S90 T8 Inscription and my measurements showed my RAM as being slightly quieter. It's body-on-frame and the cabin is much higher from the roadway which is likely why. I also didn't find the pre-refresh Pacificas to be super quiet... at least not my wife's 2020 we had. We have a 2021 now and it's much quieter, about on par with my RAM, partly due to better tires, and partly due to the claimed bodysealing techniques used the in refresh. There is quite a bit of sound deadening in the Pacifica though, whereas I haven't found much of anything in the RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread