5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior Insulation by trim?

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, and hopefully an owner of a new ram soon!
I’ve got a quick question for everyone and I’ve searched endlessly on google to no avail.
I know all 1500 trim levels get acoustic windshield, but what about the windows and back glass? Is that acoustic as well or maybe laminated?

And finally what about the insulation in the door panels? I know the limited has “deluxe” insulation but what about the other trims? Do they get the same amount?

Thanks for the info! Having a quiet interior is important to me, as my current truck is terrible. Road and wind noise is unbearable
Ethan

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment. This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment. This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.
Thank you I appreciate the welcome!

I don’t have a truck yet to add to the signature. Hoping to buy one in the next few months or so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’ve got a quick question for everyone and I’ve searched endlessly on google to no avail.
I know all 1500 trim levels get acoustic windshield, but what about the windows and back glass? Is that acoustic as well or maybe laminated?

And finally what about the insulation in the door panels? I know the limited has “deluxe” insulation but what about the other trims? Do they get the same amount?

Thanks for the info! Having a quiet interior is important to me, as my current truck is terrible. Road and wind noise is unbearable
Ethan
I don’t know specific details, but the Limited and Longhorn do have exceptionally quiet interiors. I’m guessing the Laramie isn’t far behind.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ethan
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information here.. and lots that eat away at your wallet :)
I can't answer your questions about acoustic glass or even the door panel insulation, but I can tell you these trucks are quiet! I have the Rebel with the aggressive tires and it's still pretty quiet.
I would suggest you take a couple models out for a test drive and check the difference for yourself. That way you can make an informed decision based on all the qualities of what each model has to offer. I think you will be very pleased with how quiet these trucks are!

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies! Good to know Ram Man as I’m considering the Rebel the most. I’ve driven a limited and noticed it was very quiet but I’ll have to take a Rebel out as well. Just hoping it’s as luxuriously quiet as the limited!

thanks again everyone!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies! Good to know Ram Man as I’m considering the Rebel the most. I’ve driven a limited and noticed it was very quiet but I’ll have to take a Rebel out as well. Just hoping it’s as luxuriously quiet as the limited!

thanks again everyone!
Post back once you drive it. Curious to know if there’s any noticeable difference between the Rebel and Limited (other than tire noise).

Cheers,

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Post back once you drive it. Curious to know if there’s any noticeable difference between the Rebel and Limited (other than tire noise).

Cheers,
I drive a 2020 Laramie, my wife drives a 2020 Limited, and my daughter drives a 2019 Rebel. I've ridden and driven in all three many times. I can't say I've noticed any difference in them as far as noise goes. But then again a quiet ride isn't high on the list of things I look for in a truck, so I wasn't trying to notice any difference in them. I'm sure you could measure differences with a sound meter, but to me all three are very quiet.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
That’s great to know! I actually have a decibel meter so I’ll try to remember to take it along when I drive them.
I’ll make sure to drive a limited and rebel back to back and see if there’s any noticeable difference. Anything will be quieter than the truck I drive now but I’d like to know the difference between trims if there is any. For science!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I drive a 2020 Laramie, my wife drives a 2020 Limited, and my daughter drives a 2019 Rebel. I've ridden and driven in all three many times. I can't say I've noticed any difference in them as far as noise goes. But then again a quiet ride isn't high on the list of things I look for in a truck, so I wasn't trying to notice any difference in them. I'm sure you could measure differences with a sound meter, but to me all three are very quiet.
Sweet. Your fam is a perfect test environment!
Thanks for sharing!

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't think there's much or any sound insulation in these trucks. A few spots have it in the exterior panels/crevices (like all vehicles), and there is good door weather stripping, but as far as interior insulation goes, I have not found anything too noticeable. The rear cab wall has been improved over time (they added a sheet of mass-loaded vinyl to the rear wall to reduce the exterior noise seeping through the cab vents), but that's it. My wife's Pacifica on the other hand has significant insulation... closed-cell foam underneath the entire floor carpet, insulation behind the interior trim panels, felt-lined wheel wells and underbody... our trucks lack all that insulation, but they seemingly don't need it (helps that trucks are body-on-frame and ride high off the ground, but there's obviously more to it than that becase trucks weren't always this quiet). I'm not sure if all trim levels have it, but the front door windows are laminated glass which is better as-is, "acoustic" rated or not.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
Wow that’s interesting. Despite its luxury feel and appearance I guess in its bones it’s still a truck meant for work. But to your second point there’s obviously some sort of insulation/sound muffler. I would just like to know if there’s more or less between trim levels. What do you think the chances are my local dealership will let me pry the door panels off a couple trims to look inside? Haha

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
. What do you think the chances are my local dealership will let me pry the door panels off a couple trims to look inside? Haha

I'm sure they would be very happy to sell you a Big Horn, Rebel, Laramie, Longhorn and Limited. Then you can pry off all the door panels and compare for yourself! :D 👁️ 👁️

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I was looking into whether I needed to add insulation or not and after looking at this and seeing how to change speakers (I figured that I could put insulation into the inner door) I see that there is a layer of stuff between the inner (outer facing nearest to you) and the metal body itself.

I assume that layer drowns out most of the noise and is why it is so quiet.

i don’t have the pano roof (mine is solid) and I know that there is no insulation between the metal and the headliner. But I would have an installer do that as it seems like a lot of work to remove the headliner.

Attachments

• CrutchfieldMasterSheet-0000160026.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 24

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking into whether I needed to add insulation or not and after looking at this and seeing how to change speakers (I figured that I could put insulation into the inner door) I see that there is a layer of stuff between the inner (outer facing nearest to you) and the metal body itself.

I assume that layer drowns out most of the noise and is why it is so quiet.

i don’t have the pano roof (mine is solid) and I know that there is no insulation between the metal and the headliner. But I would have an installer do that as it seems like a lot of work to remove the headliner.
Every modern vehicle is like that. That is a modular plastic panel mounted between the door sheet metal and the interior door trim panel to hold the speakers, wiring, collision sensors, etc. Does not do much in terms of noise reduction. It's just a solid layer of plastic.

Wow that’s interesting. Despite its luxury feel and appearance I guess in its bones it’s still a truck meant for work. But to your second point there’s obviously some sort of insulation/sound muffler. I would just like to know if there’s more or less between trim levels. What do you think the chances are my local dealership will let me pry the door panels off a couple trims to look inside? Haha
Nothing behnd the door panels on the Limiteds, so there's nothing on any lower trims either. There is a small sheet of what appears to be dampening material behind the 6x9 speaker on the inside of the door sheet metal, but that's it.

RedRaider91

Reaction score
That strikes me as strange. Even my 2005 f250 had a foam liner piece behind the door panel for noise reduction. So I wonder how they’ve made this truck so quiet? I can’t see just the door seals keeping out all the wind and road noise

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
That strikes me as strange. Even my 2005 f250 had a foam liner piece behind the door panel for noise reduction. So I wonder how they’ve made this truck so quiet? I can’t see just the door seals keeping out all the wind and road noise
Hmmmmmm.... that and the "secret" of how Cadbury gets the caramel inside the chocolate...
Points to ponder 🤣

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It`s called ANC. Active Noise Cancelling.
There are microphones in the headliner that pick up noises in the cab, this gets processed and the sound system puts out a 180 degrees out of phase sound from the speakers that cancels the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread