5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior creaks, rattles and ticks

illucid

Reaction score
Am I really the only one who has all these interior noises or am I just being ultra-picky or maybe the truck is still breaking in? I've had my sport for 5 months now (14,000 km) and the interior noises have only gotten worse: loud creaking noise from back driver side area, rattle/tick from driver door/window area, tick/crunch noise from what sounds like all 3 speaker covers on the dash (especially on bumps like expansion joints), noise from passenger side of headliner and also a pretty bad one in the center stack/console.... oh and my console cover squeaks when you lean on it which is the only thing that the dealer has heard / agreed to replace... all noises seem to be worse in colder weather. Anybody else experiencing these frustrating noises? Other than this, I still love this truck! Just want to get it all figured out.
20181202_164001.jpg

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who has all these interior noises or am I just being ultra-picky or maybe the truck is still breaking in? I've had my sport for 5 months now (14,000 km) and the interior noises have only gotten worse: loud creaking noise from back driver side area, rattle/tick from driver door/window area, tick/crunch noise from what sounds like all 3 speaker covers on the dash (especially on bumps like expansion joints), noise from passenger side of headliner and also a pretty bad one in the center stack/console.... oh and my console cover squeaks when you lean on it which is the only thing that the dealer has heard / agreed to replace... all noises seem to be worse in colder weather. Anybody else experiencing these frustrating noises? Other than this, I still love this truck! Just want to get it all figured out.
View attachment 11361
I guess the one thing I've lucked out with is the lack of any noises in my truck. Mine is very quiet. No rattles squeaks or wind noise (knock on wood).

illucid

Reaction score
I guess the one thing I've lucked out with is the lack of any noises in my truck. Mine is very quiet. No rattles squeaks or wind noise (knock on wood).

Mines a Friday build :(
How many km or miles do you have?
What's the temperature like in your area?

DeanKing

Reaction score
I have 3100 miles on it. Temps are all over the place because its NJ weather. Freezing days ago and humid and 60 today.
Same except southeast PA. No noises. I think the heating and cooling cycles in our area are annealing the metal so everything is settling in better :) Ok, goofing around aside, here is a really crazy theory: from the model, the OP is Canadian. It is cold at this point in Canada (I would assume). His truck was built in Michigan last June. When it was being built, I would assume everything was expanded and that was how it was all bolted together. Perhaps just enough stuff shrunk just a little bit and now things are a bit lose. Theory 2: the OP has been doing some off roading with those big *** tires (which look just the right size in the wheel wells) and it shook some stuff lose.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I have the creaking noise as well in driver rear. Would love to see a resolution before I take to dealer.

Riley01

Reaction score
View attachment 11361
I am having same issues, while checking for a source of the noises I pressed on the headliner and it was very loose. When pressing on it, it sounds like squeaky mattress and will rattle when going over bumps. Took to dealer and was told it was not installed correctly... They are replacing it.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same except southeast PA. No noises. I think the heating and cooling cycles in our area are annealing the metal so everything is settling in better :) Ok, goofing around aside, here is a really crazy theory: from the model, the OP is Canadian. It is cold at this point in Canada (I would assume). His truck was built in Michigan last June. When it was being built, I would assume everything was expanded and that was how it was all bolted together. Perhaps just enough stuff shrunk just a little bit and now things are a bit lose. Theory 2: the OP has been doing some off roading with those big *** tires (which look just the right size in the wheel wells) and it shook some stuff lose.
Viable theory.

illucid

Reaction score
Lol I'm kind of leaning towards your first theory, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. Although the truck has been off road (and I agree I think the big *** tires fit nice in the wheel wells lol), it was very gently driven and not enough to shake things loose really. That being said, if things have loosened up, am I to believe that the dealership will be able to tighten or fix these areas under warranty? Its driving me crazy because I love everything about this truck besides these noises!

ibang1

Reaction score
I kept hearing some ticking noise at random times and realized it was the coins I placed in the coin holder. Any chance that’s the noise?

marcd118

Reaction score
I’ve had mine at the dealer several times and they say it cannot be duplicated...bs

Autoplay

Reaction score
I kept hearing some ticking noise at random times and realized it was the coins I placed in the coin holder. Any chance that’s the noise?

I too had that same noise. Couldn’t isolate it till I removed all the coins lol. I had a few tape measures in my truck too....and they would rattle on certain bumpy roads.

The only noise/rattle that my 50+ year old ears here presently....is from the passenger sun visor. When I lightly press on the clip in area of it,while truck in motion,noise disappears. One of these days I plan on rectifying it.

Overall,very pleased with the “lack of noise/rattles” in my truck!

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Had a plastic type rattle in the upper console when the weather cooled down below 40, have the pano sunroof. After pulling the upper console down for a look, I found a plastic frame hot glued to the headliner metal. Packed the area with some weatherstrip foam and no more noise.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I too had that same noise. Couldn’t isolate it till I removed all the coins lol. I had a few tape measures in my truck too....and they would rattle on certain bumpy roads.

The only noise/rattle that my 50+ year old ears here presently....is from the passenger sun visor. When I lightly press on the clip in area of it,while truck in motion,noise disappears. One of these days I plan on rectifying it.

Overall,very pleased with the “lack of noise/rattles” in my truck!
That “click” you hear was my only problem and I know what it is! I actually posted on it. Wish I knew how to find my old posts. It’s not the visor. It is a Velcro clip attaching the headliner in front of the sunroof on the passenger side. Truck was so quiet it was driving me nuts. My fix was to pull down on the headliner and insert a small piece of cloth between the two Velcro halves for the offending clip. There are many of them holding it up. Now I can’t see it or hear it. The proper fix would probably be for dealership to remove your entire headliner and properly glue the one bad clip in. I think that cure is worse than the disease.

klail

Reaction score
I have noticed 2 different sounding rattles that are similar to those in this thread. 1st seems to be coming from the drivers window, however, I believe it is actually caused by small snow droplets hitting the mirror. It has been snowing/raining non stop since I purchased the truck so I am keeping an ear out in future drive in good weather. The other rattle sounds like it is coming from the dash area. It only occurs when I am on a bumpier road (noticed it driving on a snow pack) and so this one is hard to replicate. When the sales manager recently called me for a follow-up on my purchase I let him know and he said that it may be coming from my overhead console area. If it comes back or I can place the rattle I will take it in.

Last edited:

dubasteins

Reaction score

I have noticed many of these in my truck as well - namely, the rattling from the driver side window and the squeaking from center console when pushing down on it - and I also have a creaking/squeaking coming from my steering column, the tailgate squeaks when you push or pull on it, and there are various other small noises that just get annoying since they aren't from expected sources. I'm hoping that when I take it in soon, they'll be able to identify and address all of the issues, because they take away from the enjoyment of driving and from the overall awesomeness of the truck.

billyraff

Reaction score
I get a few squeaks and creaks when it drops below 20 degrees, i don't really have any noises when its warmer.. now just waiting for spring.

Jrex

Reaction score
I have the creaking noise as well in driver rear. Would love to see a resolution before I take to dealer.

Just Joined forum, was looking up the rattle, creaking issue with 2019 Ram.

I just bought 2019 Ram Laramie sport Crew 4x4 and had the rear seat, driver side rattle, it started of and on and then went to very anoying and all the time, even at 2 mph with no bumps.

I did some testing with my son and narrowed it down to drivers side, rear A-pillar area. Back left corner of back seat, drivers side.

Took it to dealer this morning, Of-course the tech did not hear it, so I had to take him for a ride. Made him sit in rear drivers seat. Put in drive and pull forward 2 MPH hour, it was making the noise. 15 minutes later they fixed it and its now gone.

Truck only has 400 miles on it.

Believe it or not, it was the Sunroof drain hose came out of its channel and was rubbing against the cab on the rear drivers side.

If I had to guess your issue its either sunroof drain line loose or power rear window wire loose doing same thing.

Hope this helps

klail

Reaction score
Just Joined forum, was looking up the rattle, creaking issue with 2019 Ram.

I just bought 2019 Ram Laramie sport Crew 4x4 and had the rear seat, driver side rattle, it started of and on and then went to very anoying and all the time, even at 2 mph with no bumps.

I did some testing with my son and narrowed it down to drivers side, rear A-pillar area. Back left corner of back seat, drivers side.

Took it to dealer this morning, Of-course the tech did not hear it, so I had to take him for a ride. Made him sit in rear drivers seat. Put in drive and pull forward 2 MPH hour, it was making the noise. 15 minutes later they fixed it and its now gone.

Truck only has 400 miles on it.

Believe it or not, it was the Sunroof drain hose came out of its channel and was rubbing against the cab on the rear drivers side.

If I had to guess your issue its either sunroof drain line loose or power rear window wire loose doing same thing.

Hope this helps
So there are issues with the sunroof drain not having been correctly installed to begin with. There is another thread regarding it. Northern of mine (left side, right side) were installed correctly and it is at the dealership right now getting fixed. Just make sure no water was able to get in as this has caused mold build up for some people.

Users who are viewing this thread