5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior creaks, rattles and ticks

Fidomac

Reaction score
Am I really the only one who has all these interior noises or am I just being ultra-picky or maybe the truck is still breaking in? I've had my sport for 5 months now (14,000 km) and the interior noises have only gotten worse: loud creaking noise from back driver side area, rattle/tick from driver door/window area, tick/crunch noise from what sounds like all 3 speaker covers on the dash (especially on bumps like expansion joints), noise from passenger side of headliner and also a pretty bad one in the center stack/console.... oh and my console cover squeaks when you lean on it which is the only thing that the dealer has heard / agreed to replace... all noises seem to be worse in colder weather. Anybody else experiencing these frustrating noises? Other than this, I still love this truck! Just want to get it all figured out.
View attachment 11361
I got some dry lubricant at lowes and sprayed every plastic to plastic and plastic to rubber and plastic to metal surface I could find in the console, Dash, door trim, headliner Etc..... also had my console cover replaced by the dealer because of a maddening squeak.... I spent hours doing this but it really made a huge difference

mdw3998

Reaction score
I picked up my truck Friday after work. The dash is now free of the rolling bolt noise. The bolt was in the heater box. The headliner no longer clicks and ticks when I drive the truck. The oxidized floor mats were replaced under warranty.

The dealer was not able to replicate the metallic clanking noise from the rear end when going over railroad tracks. I believe that since it didnt do it for me either the last time I drove the truck over railroad tracks before I brought it in for service. The transmission did not act up either in stop and go driving. It hasn't lately for me either. The truck has to go back in when the Chrysler rep comes in to drive it for the 43 mph whistle. The dealer could not find the source, but they do hear the whistle.

I called and spoke to the service manager Saturday morning because there was no oil change sticker on the vehicle. I looked under the hood and it didn't appear that the oil filter housing was touched either. The service manage assured me that the oil really has been changed and the technician just forgot to place the sticker on the windshield. The service manager said he would put a free oil change in my account for the next time I have it changed.

The service manager asked me if I thought that they had resolved the dash and headliner noises. I said, I think so, but I really couldn't tell at this point because I drove the truck directly home from the dealer, switched to my daily driver (2011 Hyundai Santa Fe) picked up my dog and headed to my girlfriend's apartment for supper. It was 90 plus degrees outside when I drove the truck home and the A/C fan was blowing loudly. I did drive the truck later Saturday morning running erronds and I called the service manager back and left him a voicemail thanking him for the great job getting rid of those noises. I also asked him to please thank the service advisor and technician who work red on my truck. I placed the call to the service manager in Home Depot's parking lot before I went into the store.

When i came out of Home Depot, I went to put my shopping bag on the front passenger seat. I notices an area of light gray on the bottom seat cushion. My interior color is black and new saddle. I thought the gray spot on the saddle leather seat was just shop dust, but it turned out to be grease. I was kind of miffed at this, but decided I would clean it with a mild soap and water as the leather care guide that came with the truck suggested.

When i got home , I got some "Dawn" dishwashing liquid and added a little dab to a moist towel and rubbed the area on the seat. The stain faded a little bit, but would not completely come out. I then got out a bottle of leather cleaner and tried that on the area. The stain faded even more, but I can't completely remove it. I didn't try anymore for fear of ruining the leather.

While I was cleaning the passenger seat, I noticed that the technician who worked on my truck damaged an area of my center console. Now I'm a little annoyed. I took a photo of the area and emailed it to my service advisor. My service advisor answered, saying he would have the technician get the part number and order a new one. I will attach photos here.

I tried cleaning the seat a little more today, but can't completely remove the grease stain. I took a picture of the remaining stain and emailed that to my service advisor. I'll have to wait for his reply.

This is why I waited 7 months to put my truck in for these repairs. The dealer personnel have never fixed my interior vehicle problems without damaging something else. Now we can wait and see if Freedom can make this all good. What a royal pain!

View attachment 29432
View attachment 29433 View attachment 29434
View attachment 29435
What did the noise sound like? I've got something that sounds like a rod or a bolt sliding (not rolling) back and forth in a plastic box. Turn left, clunk. Turn right, clunk. If I turn left then left, or right then right, no noise on the second turn. It sounds like it's coming from the glove box. Typically where the heater box is...

doug55579

Reaction score
I got some dry lubricant at lowes and sprayed every plastic to plastic and plastic to rubber and plastic to metal surface I could find in the console, Dash, door trim, headliner Etc..... also had my console cover replaced by the dealer because of a maddening squeak.... I spent hours doing this but it really made a huge difference

How extensively did you take the dash apart? One of my noises sounds like it is deep in the dash somewhere.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
What did the noise sound like? I've got something that sounds like a rod or a bolt sliding (not rolling) back and forth in a plastic box. Turn left, clunk. Turn right, clunk. If I turn left then left, or right then right, no noise on the second turn. It sounds like it's coming from the glove box. Typically where the heater box is...
Here is a video of my noise. It really was a bolt rolling around in the heater box.

Fidomac

Reaction score
How extensively did you take the dash apart? One of my noises sounds like it is deep in the dash somewhere.
I didn't take the dash apart ...the most I did is move the steering wheel in and out , opened both glove boxes and remove the console tray ..... I basically pushed on all the trim items on the dash, doors, console Etc and if they squeaked I gave them a shot of lubricant until they didnt squeak.... there were about four or five places I identified as squeaky and was able to fix all of them.. My truck is very quiet now

Fidomac

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Can you send a video link to what you did? Did it make a mess?
I don't have a video..... I basically used
Sounds interesting. Can you send a video link to what you did? Did it make a mess?
I used Super Lube dry lubricant from Lowe's and it is not greasy with minimal cleanup necessary for over sprays.... I was careful not to spray directly into any Electronics or on glass surfaces

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't take the dash apart ...the most I did is move the steering wheel in and out , opened both glove boxes and remove the console tray ..... I basically pushed on all the trim items on the dash, doors, console Etc and if they squeaked I gave them a shot of lubricant until they didnt squeak.... there were about four or five places I identified as squeaky and was able to fix all of them.. My truck is very quiet now
How does the console tray come out?

YYCJim

Reaction score
I get a few squeaks and creaks when it drops below 20 degrees, i don't really have any noises when its warmer.. now just waiting for spring.
Same here. In Canada and when temps go below -10C or so, get the odd rattle from what I thought was under the passenger seat. Put some foam tape in spots but did not help. Seems to be cold contraction on plastic pieces. Truck is super quiet once the weather warms up. Would like to figure it out, but not worth getting the dealer to tell me they can't duplicate the problem.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I'm blessed to have a super quiet Longhorn, free from wind noise, rattles, squeakes etc.; maybe due to being a Wednesday build? Lol Anyway, I have an intermittent faint "tick" coming from the upper windshield area, moreso when it's cold out and the roads are not smooth. I figured it might be coming from the rearview mirror cover, or overhead console. When I got home earlier, I gently pressed on the driver's side of the mirror cover, but it did not produce any "tick"; I then moved over to the passenger side and again pressed on the cover, this time resulting in the exact "tick". It's definitely plastic against plastic, as there are a few pieces to the assembly, which would make sense why there could be movement between them. I will apply some silicone dressing, or dry lubricant on the seams, and hopefully that will quiet things down. Hope this helps others with the same condition.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
So I applied some silicone spray along the seams between the mirror panel and cover hoping to quiet the tick down. Little did I know that the silicone spray had acetone in it which damaged the plastic in terms of color. Thankfully nothing else was affected and I thought ahead and put a cloth over the dash just in case something were to spatter, which it didn't. So now I am in the process of ordering a replacement cover and panel using the part numbers from the original parts, however, Ram says they are invalid part numbers and are not listed in the system. so now I have two dealerships researching the parts so I can get replacements; just plain crazy! Anyway, that cover was definitely a source of the tick, but driving with it removed did not eliminate a faint tick now and then from various places. I have no headliner ticks, but did discover while pressing on the right side A pillar, near the top and along the door rubber, it did cause a tick. This time I will use a low luster vinyl dressing instead.

illucid

Reaction score
So I applied some silicone spray along the seams between the mirror panel and cover hoping to quiet the tick down. Little did I know that the silicone spray had acetone in it which damaged the plastic in terms of color. Thankfully nothing else was affected and I thought ahead and put a cloth over the dash just in case something were to spatter, which it didn't. So now I am in the process of ordering a replacement cover and panel using the part numbers from the original parts, however, Ram says they are invalid part numbers and are not listed in the system. so now I have two dealerships researching the parts so I can get replacements; just plain crazy! Anyway, that cover was definitely a source of the tick, but driving with it removed did not eliminate a faint tick now and then from various places. I have no headliner ticks, but did discover while pressing on the right side A pillar, near the top and along the door rubber, it did cause a tick. This time I will use a low luster vinyl dressing instead.

I guess its not really a super quiet longhorn then lol. Just bugging. I'm the OP of this thread and I unfortunately got an early build (June 2018) and it's a Friday build :( mine has been a ticking clicking creaking nightmare but with patience I've eliminated almost all the noises myself (80%) using foam tape, Tessa tape, foam blocks and felt pads (even a microfiber cloth or two stuffed in key locations lol). Love the truck besides that at 53000km 20200112_155737.jpg

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yes, they say a Monday or Friday build could have issues, thankfully mine is a Wednesday build. I drove it Friday, and the outside temperature was 30 degrees, but felt like 15; not one tick or squeak! Maybe pressing on the right side A pillar top adjusted the position enough to stop the friction. I also pressed very lightly on the right side of the center stack (by the vent), and there was a very faint tick; when I pressed again, it was silent. I know for sure, the rearview mirror cover produced a loud tick when pressed on the right side, and now that it's not in place (it's on the workbench), it's again super quiet. I did get the correct part numbers and am awaiting a replacement which I will modify with felt so as to eliminate the tick. Have you checked your rearview mirror cover? I don't think any vehicle will be free from an occasional tick now and then due to materials expanding and contracting. Also, if you factor in how ultra quiet the Ram is, that will definitely make the slightest tick noticeable.

YYCJim

Reaction score
The other culprit on noise for me that sounded like it was coming from the door was actually the trim piece on the bottom of the driver seat and passenger seats. Little piece of foam got rid of it between the trim piece and seat before clipping it back in did the trick.
Hi there - can you send a picture of the trim piece on the passenger side?

Users who are viewing this thread