5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in a hood protector/bug deflector for 24 rebel GT

Badbear0416

Reaction score
Been reading a lot of forums in regards of hood protector/bug deflector and so many had issues or poor fitment or doesn't fit on rebel gt/sports hood.
I don't like the look of the mopar one personally I read bad reviews of weathertech and avs sounds good so far yet don't fit?

So tbh I'd rather hear or see in pics how a smoked color shield fits/looks/any install issues especially if for the 24 rebel gt. As this new one I got is the hydro blue blacked out so I'd go with the smoked obviously. Any links or pricing preferably canada would help so I have a better idea of what to expect. Although any pics or install problems still appreciated so I also know if worth buying.

They do look more for hood protection and not so for bugs from the ones I've been seeing. Although I'd so much more prefer something for the bugs as I live out in the county and drive everyday which sure makes a mess of windshield

Perkdav

Reaction score
Been reading a lot of forums in regards of hood protector/bug deflector and so many had issues or poor fitment or doesn't fit on rebel gt/sports hood.
I don't like the look of the mopar one personally I read bad reviews of weathertech and avs sounds good so far yet don't fit?

So tbh I'd rather hear or see in pics how a smoked color shield fits/looks/any install issues especially if for the 24 rebel gt. As this new one I got is the hydro blue blacked out so I'd go with the smoked obviously. Any links or pricing preferably canada would help so I have a better idea of what to expect. Although any pics or install problems still appreciated so I also know if worth buying.

They do look more for hood protection and not so for bugs from the ones I've been seeing. Although I'd so much more prefer something for the bugs as I live out in the county and drive everyday which sure makes a mess of windshield
Did you decide to go with one? If so, what one did you go with. Thinking of getting one for my 24 rebel as well.

Badbear0416

Reaction score
Did you decide to go with one? If so, what one did you go with. Thinking of getting one for my 24 rebel as well.
I went with the avs but it's really just a hood protector lays flat does look good on rebel with night Edition but next time I'll go with matte black as the regular one is kind of to shiny with rest of matte black trim. I do have to remove should tho as when I installed I got a defective one and awaiting return. I'm still looking for more of a bug shield style. I saw one on a rebel this week but unfortunately in passing on a street and couldn't ask where they got it from on my way to work lol.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want an effective bug deflector you'll need one that looks like this. And even those were only effective for the lower 2/3 of the windshield...

1719853562588.png

Badbear0416

Reaction score
If you really want an effective bug deflector you'll need one that looks like this. And even those were only effective for the lower 2/3 of the windshield...

View attachment 185599
I had one on my 4th gen ram can't remember brand I'll look for purchase I'm thinking the avs also...made a huge difference especially during fish fly season...5 years without than put it on and 5 years big difference tbh

sblack33741

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the avs but it's really just a hood protector lays flat does look good on rebel with night Edition but next time I'll go with matte black as the regular one is kind of to shiny with rest of matte black trim. I do have to remove should tho as when I installed I got a defective one and awaiting return. I'm still looking for more of a bug shield style. I saw one on a rebel this week but unfortunately in passing on a street and couldn't ask where they got it from on my way to work lol.
I was wondering if they are worth the money, and can they scratch your paint as they sit on the hood?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if they are worth the money, and can they scratch your paint as they sit on the hood?
Not if they are installed properly. They come with small bumpers that attach to the hood using adhesive (Mopar one does anyway, I'm assuming they all do). Yes, the adhesive is easily removable and leaves no trace if you decide you don't like the deflector.

I had one on a previous 5th gen. Mostly to protect against rock chips.

Attachments

• Bugscreen installed.jpg
    Bugscreen installed.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Worth can only be determined by the individual. I had one on my first 2 Rams. They do reduce the volume of bug splatters on the windshield as they tend to deflect smaller bugs over the windshield. However, large bugs still get through. It always seemed to me they deflected large bugs up enough that they splattered right in my line of vision on the windshield. I believe in both cases the changed airflow cost me about 1 mpg in fuel economy because most of my driving is highway.

I don't remember the brand I used but they came with tiny self adhesive rubber bumpers that prevented it from rubbing on the paint.

I stopped buying them because they were not worth it to me. I don't drive much at night when bugs are worst and it's not a big deal to clean the bugs off the windshield when I get gas. I also thought they were an ugly addition.

Users who are viewing this thread