5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing helper bags....PITA!!!!

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Curious size and weight of that jayco? Shouldn't the leveling bars help with that sag in the back?
Trailer is 8200 dry. Tongue weight is somewhere around 950 loaded. The bars don't help with squat as much as they help with the pivot point articulation being limited when the truck hits bumps.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Anyone with the Air Lift 5000 bags with integrated bump stop run into issues with bottoming out sooner than normal? I just installed a set on my Rebel last week. Now when running around with the minimum 5 psi in the bags, it'll now bottom out on larger speed bumps, but did not before. I'm convinced the integrated/internal bumpstop is quite a bit taller than the standard bumpstop. Not sure if the Rebel may be different, though?

Omarf4

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Timber Grove Enterprises airbags... had them on my old ram for 4 years then installed the prototype on the 19. Heavy duty, no cutting, direct bolt on and the owner worked with me early on during the development phase. Not affiliated with TGE whatsoever but can't say enough good about their product and the way it's held up to the abuse.....

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
How much time did it take?
Difficult scale 1 to 10
On the Timber Grove Enterprises airbags... had them on my old ram for 4 years then installed the prototype on the 19. Heavy duty, no cutting, direct bolt on

Omarf4

Reaction score
How much time did it take?
Difficult scale 1 to 10
On the Timber Grove Enterprises airbags... had them on my old ram for 4 years then installed the prototype on the 19. Heavy duty, no cutting, direct bolt on
2 hours max on the ‘19 as the air hose is much easier to route.
Difficulty level 2. But that’s a personal thing......

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of timbergroves, being someone who designs truck equipment everyday the timbergroves are engineered better.... it's not even close compaired to the airlifts. I've also installed airlift bags on a 2011 ram and they definitely cut some corners, brackets bent/rusted and they were very hard to align correctly.

Ram41313

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Timber Grove Enterprises airbags... had them on my old ram for 4 years then installed the prototype on the 19. Heavy duty, no cutting, direct bolt on and the owner worked with me early on during the development phase. Not affiliated with TGE whatsoever but can't say enough good about their product and the way it's held up to the abuse.....
Did you have to cut the bump stops off?

Charger68

Reaction score
Easy bolt on, bump stops pull out of bracket easily. Bolts directly to bump stop bracket.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are aftermarket Air bags just a better product than the stock air ride, or do they also offer more capability? Differences?
With about 850 tongue weight the stock air ride seemed to do pretty well on my 900 mile trek.

Neal Cassady

Reaction score
Cheaper and can be added after purchasing a truck new/used easily. I don't think retrofitting factory air would be cost effective or even feasible.

As well they are a supplemental suspension, you still have your coils and shocks. In the event of an issue with factory air, your suspension is inoperable, whereas if an air bag kit has a leak, its an annoyance but you can still drive your truck.

Pacbrake also makes a kit for the new RAM 1500, that doesn't involve cutting off the bump stop, should be released soon.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Are aftermarket Air bags just a better product than the stock air ride, or do they also offer more capability? Differences?
With about 850 tongue weight the stock air ride seemed to do pretty well on my 900 mile trek.
The stock air suspension is electronically limited at how much air it will put in the airbags. So if you have it loaded heavy and the stock system is at its max the truck may still squat slightly. The aftermarket kits are usually rated at 100PSI. **always tow within your trucks rated capacities, obviously**

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stock air suspension is electronically limited at how much air it will put in the airbags. So if you have it loaded heavy and the stock system is at its max the truck may still squat slightly. The aftermarket kits are usually rated at 100PSI. **always tow within your trucks rated capacities, obviously**

What is the max PSI that the factory bags will inflate to? I have heard that they stop inflating or functioning around 2000-2300Lbs of Payload.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
What is the max PSI that the factory bags will inflate to? I have heard that they stop inflating or functioning around 2000-2300Lbs of Payload.
Not entirely sure but if those weights are correct I would guess about 50-60psi, just from experience putting a similar amount of weight in the back of a 3500 requires about 55psi.

Users who are viewing this thread