5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing helper bags....PITA!!!!

Livinfast85

Reaction score
So yesterday I installed helper bags on the rear of my truck to help out with towing my large travel trailer. Let's just say they are quite the pain to install compared to previous ones I have installed. Not to mention the bags from SDTRUCKSPRINGS require you to cut off the bump stop brackets. Took approximately 4 hours to install. Just an FYI for anyone looking into these.

Drewdidit

Reaction score
I installed mine myself also. Went with AirLift 5000 and the upgraded compressor. Super pain to get into some of the places to bolt the brackets on. Works great though

Livinfast85

Reaction score
I installed mine myself also. Went with AirLift 5000 and the upgraded compressor. Super pain to get into some of the places to bolt the brackets on. Works great though
I agree. The upper brackets were the worst part. I am looking at getting a compressor set up as well. Which one did you get and how do you like it?

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
76560768-166C-476D-A9B5-39781C15DB9A.png

Attachments

• 5186F4E1-8811-41FF-A209-B5A2408CF8C8.png
    5186F4E1-8811-41FF-A209-B5A2408CF8C8.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 181

Drewdidit

Reaction score
I agree. The upper brackets were the worst part. I am looking at getting a compressor set up as well. Which one did you get and how do you like it?
I went with the Air Lift 25980 EZ compressor. Wireless remote with 3 settings. Easy to install with the EZ mounting bracket.

Redwings1391

Reaction score
i too put the air lift 5000 ultimate plus on with the wireless one second generation compressor. i had the same set up on my 4th gen and loved it. although i up graded to the stainless lines this time and am having a little leaking issue. never had that with the standard.

fireron

Reaction score
Timber Grove seems like a good way to go for air bags. I will add them to my short list of mods.

Drewdidit

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the Timbergroves and Airlifts. The Timbergroves don’t require cutting off the mount. I think you guys just helped make my decision for me.
airlift didn't require any cutting. Bolted right on

tnugent

Reaction score
So yesterday I installed helper bags on the rear of my truck to help out with towing my large travel trailer. Let's just say they are quite the pain to install compared to previous ones I have installed. Not to mention the bags from SDTRUCKSPRINGS require you to cut off the bump stop brackets. Took approximately 4 hours to install. Just an FYI for anyone looking into these.
How have these bags helped with towing? Am looking to do the same thing to help with towing my TT.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
How have these bags helped with towing? Am looking to do the same thing to help with towing my TT.
They are really great. No squat whatsoever and the truck still rides the same as factory. I would recommend them to anyone who tows any larger amount of weight as I do!

Creep0321

Reaction score
What weight TT or tongue weight would airbags become a benefit? If I do go with a set I definitely would get a compressor setup not the 1000s you have to do manually, any recommendations? Ease of install would be big for me.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
What weight TT or tongue weight would airbags become a benefit? If I do go with a set I definitely would get a compressor setup not the 1000s you have to do manually, any recommendations? Ease of install would be big for me.
As far as ease of install, the airlift ARE NOT what you want. It really is a pain to install the bags them selves bc of the tight working space. But once on they are great! As far as when the bags benefitting you, I would say they benefit anyone with more than a few hundred pounds on the tongue.

Users who are viewing this thread