5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Thank you does anyone have picture on how bright the light on the brake switch at night ? Specifically for the 12.1 screen version?
I only have the 8.4 but the switch lights up enough that you can tell it's on. It's not super bright by any means.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This jscan sounds interesting, it would be nice at times to be able to simply turn things on or off.
But does that mean I'd have to buy one of those apple thing a ma jigs?
Speaking of jscan, anyone know which settings would need to be enabled got the trailer brake? Here’s the trailer settings screen. The second one seems pretty obvious but not sure about the other ones

IMG_4527.jpeg

Will98208

Reaction score
Step 8: Remove the plastic cover just above the driver side footwell. There are 2 screws holding it in and 3 or so clips on either side. Basically very similar to the center stack in removal. Just like in the center console you will want to remove all of the plugs. No need to do anything with the pull for the hood release, that can stay in place, just disconnect the plugs.
View attachment 31415
View attachment 31417
View attachment 31418

Step 9: install the bracket that the trailer brake controller snaps into. This is not too bad. I made use of a long phillips screwdriver to get one of the screws in, but it could have been done without this very unique specialty tool :D
/*Pro Tip: Run the screws into the nutplates before you go to install the bracket. This is not 100% necessary, but will make the installation easier on you.*/

The bracket
View attachment 31419
A nutplate
View attachment 31420
A nutplate installed!
View attachment 31421
The bracket installed. The location is in the driver footwell, right up against the center console. You will see this location in there once you get the cover off and look toward the center of your truck but under the dash. Also, that plug and wires in the picture, it is about to have its day in the sun.
View attachment 31422
Hi, could you tell me where you ordered your parts from for this project. I’m going to try it on my 2023 RAM 1500 Laramie. I am not familiar with alphaobd. is that just an OBD2 device that plugs in and updates the software or do I need a computer. I have an iphone and and ipad.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi, could you tell me where you ordered your parts from for this project. I’m going to try it on my 2023 RAM 1500 Laramie. I am not familiar with alphaobd. is that just an OBD2 device that plugs in and updates the software or do I need a computer. I have an iphone and and ipad.
For alpha you need windows or android.
Jscan works on iPhone and iPad. That’s why I asked because that’s all I have. You will also need these no matter which program you use. It works off of Bluetooth

Cable Adapter Compatible with Chry-sler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro https://a.co/d/6zNnoYy

Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS, Android & Windows https://a.co/d/cPo6HkH

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
See my post #437 in this thread. Post #438 is helpful as well for buying parts.

clb5335

Reaction score
I've read through probably 1/3 pages.... If I'm planning on buying a used ram and I must have a TBC, I can install one for about $300 and a couple hours on my own if I need to. Is that an accurate summary?

Will98208

Reaction score
I've read through probably 1/3 pages.... If I'm planning on buying a used ram and I must have a TBC, I can install one for about $300 and a couple hours on my own if I need to. Is that an accurate summary?
That was pretty much my experience. I installed my own and used alphaobd to turn on the settings. Lots of good help on this forum if you need it.

dsanders

Reaction score
It's ridiculously easy to do if you're even slightly mechanically inclined. Just easy if you're not. I'd recommend a cordless ratchet if you have one to install the bracket.

RThomas13

Reaction score
Well, I attempted the install today, and I was somewhat successful in that I was able to get the actual brake controller installed, along with the control module, however, I ran into a few issues with the AlfaOBD software. To be clear, I'm running AlphaOBD on my old Samsung S8 which is no longer activated. Also using a MX+ and Taser Gateway module. My confusion is around the actual options within the software as loaded on my phone.

I'm using AlphaOBD 2.1.77, and as per this document, I do not see any option for RAM 1500 DT, however only what I'm sharing with you in screenshots off of my phone, and only RAM 1500 DS/DX. Beyond that, there's simply no option for JUST "Gateway Module", but rather what you see below which is Gateway Module for certain model years. You can see the following errors beyond that, with no ability to program what was called for in the instructions here. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong here.. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on a phone, vs what I've been reading here which is tablets? Unsure....

View attachment 43903

View attachment 43902

View attachment 43899

View attachment 43904

LSA...this is EXACTLY what I needed. I was getting the same error you were, this fixed the problem. A+!!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I feel I have covered this already, but if you have a TazerDT, there is no need for alfaObd to enable the trailer brake controller. there is an option in the TazerDT that takes care of everything for you with one setting change

feolamv12

Reaction score
so i just completed this on my '19 1500.
When using AlfaODB, when connecting, the third drop down had "central gateway module 20xx-2012" (dont remember exactly), so I selected "2019 power somthing or another" and it all went GREAT!

Two questions:
1. does the switch light up at all? mine doesnt.
2. is the electric brake signal always there? like, when I view the trailer brake in the cluster display, it shows the brake signal when I use the brake pedal...even when no trailer is attached. Is that normal? Never had an integrated controller before, so this is kinda new to me. In my head, I figured that the computer would "sense" a trailer through the 7-pin and only activate the trailer brakes then. Of course, there's a lot of things in my head that are messed up, so take that for what it's worth. LOL
I am having the same problem with your second question. Trailer gain always reverts back to the display every time the brake is pressed, trailer or no trailer.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
Dealer just quoted me almost $500 for just the parts. Service didn't answer the transfer to get an install price.

So I just ordered everything to do it myself. Should be about $300 all-in plus a few hours of my time.

Crossing my fingers that everything goes smoothly and I don't have to be back here asking how to fix things.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
I installed the components for the trailer brake control today. Between these instructions and a video on YouTube, I got it done in under an hour.

I'll be doing the AlfaOBD side tomorrow after my Amazon order arrives.

Just a question - when I took off the tape to find the plug that goes to the control unit, there was another smaller plug with it. I didn't see anything about this plug in any instructions - did I miss something or is it for another option? Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230924_160628844.jpg
    PXL_20230924_160628844.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230924_160640382.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230924_160640382.MP.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

blacksheep37

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but once I finish the Alfa changes, I unlplug the bypass and plug the connectors back in to their original spots, right?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but once I finish the Alfa changes, I unlplug the bypass and plug the connectors back in to their original spots, right?
You don’t have to. I leave my bypass cable plugged in. Just put it back to stock if you need to bring it in to the dealer

feolamv12

Reaction score
You don’t have to. I leave my bypass cable plugged in. Just put it back to stock if you need to bring it in to the dealer
Two questions:
1. does the switch light up at all? mine doesnt.
2. is the electric brake signal always there? like, when I view the trailer brake in the cluster display, it shows the brake signal when I use the brake pedal...even when no trailer is attached. Is that normal? Never had an integrated controller before, so this is kinda new to me. In my head, I figured that the computer would "sense" a trailer through the 7-pin and only activate the trailer brakes then. Of course, there's a lot of things in my head that are messed up, so take that for what it's worth. LOL

Any input on the above ?

Users who are viewing this thread