5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It turns stuff on and off, which is all I'll ever need out of it. The interface is really easy to use and in plain language. I'm sure alfaOBD is great, but it's overkill for me...and I'd have to use one of those silly Android things.
I feel the same way about Apple devices

bucolic

Reaction score
It turns stuff on and off, which is all I'll ever need out of it. The interface is really easy to use and in plain language. I'm sure alfaOBD is great, but it's overkill for me...and I'd have to use one of those silly Android things.

I feel the same way about Apple devices
Oh boy! This could go south really fast. Let's change the subject to something more peaceful...

What's better, 3.21 gears or 3.92??? :unsure:

LouNY

Reaction score
This jscan sounds interesting, it would be nice at times to be able to simply turn things on or off.
But does that mean I'd have to buy one of those apple thing a ma jigs?

dsanders

Reaction score
This jscan sounds interesting, it would be nice at times to be able to simply turn things on or off.
But does that mean I'd have to buy one of those apple thing a ma jigs?
Nope, it even works with the toy phones.

Johnallenatf

Reaction score
1. 2019 1500 Bighorn just bought used.
2. Installed a "Mopar" trailer brake controller
3. Used AlfaOBD, USB OBD and Chrysler cable.
4. Changed all 4 settings, verified several times they were set to "yes"
5. Trailer does show up in settings on uconnect and I can change name, type, etc.
6. Nothing on main cluster? I even attached a trailer and still nothing on main cluster.
7. Its only been <3hours.
8. Installed modual 2 weeks ago, never pulled negative.
So, my questions are. 1. Is there supposed to be an actual icon on the uconnect for trailer, or just setting in the settings. Has anyone experienced a delay in the cluster display showing anything related to the trailer braking?

dsanders

Reaction score
5. Trailer does show up in settings on uconnect and I can change name, type, etc.
6. Nothing on main cluster? I even attached a trailer and still nothing on main cluster.
So, my questions are. 1. Is there supposed to be an actual icon on the uconnect for trailer, or just setting in the settings. Has anyone experienced a delay in the cluster display showing anything related to the trailer braking?
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is an icon or anything in the uconnect. When you squeeze the brake controller, it should pop up in the main cluster to show how much brake you are applying, even without a trailer. I've only towed my cargo trailer one time, but everything worked perfectly...while stopped, I squeezed the controller to 100% and couldn't move the trailer at all. If you have blind spot monitoring, it will also automatically adjust it to include the length of the trailer.

Hope this helps answer your question.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is an icon or anything in the uconnect. When you squeeze the brake controller, it should pop up in the main cluster to show how much brake you are applying, even without a trailer. I've only towed my cargo trailer one time, but everything worked perfectly...while stopped, I squeezed the controller to 100% and couldn't move the trailer at all. If you have blind spot monitoring, it will also automatically adjust it to include the length of the trailer.

Hope this helps answer your question.
There is an "app" icon on the 12.1" display, as well as a trailer page in the 7"tft instrument cluster. That is if you made all the correct changes.

dsanders

Reaction score
There is an "app" icon on the 12.1" display, as well as a trailer page in the 7"tft instrument cluster. That is if you made all the correct changes.
Does it only show up if there's a trailer plugged in? I have the 12" display, and there's nothing under apps without a trailer attached. I'll have to hook it up next week and check it out.

Johnallenatf

Reaction score
Fixed, had to redo ITBM. Now I get a service trailer brake system when I used the manual slide. The regular braking seems to work though. When I move the +/- the trailer brake screen pops up. Depressing the brake pedal does show the % moving depending on the force I apply to the pedal. The problem is, when I move the manual override it quickly flashes the same screen view on the cluster then a "Service Trailer Brake System" warning pops up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does it only show up if there's a trailer plugged in? I have the 12" display, and there's nothing under apps without a trailer attached. I'll have to hook it up next week and check it out.
Guess it's under settings, not an app
PXL_20221229_215914084.jpg PXL_20221229_220043470.jpg

dsanders

Reaction score
Fixed, had to redo ITBM. Now I get a service trailer brake system when I used the manual slide. The regular braking seems to work though. When I move the +/- the trailer brake screen pops up. Depressing the brake pedal does show the % moving depending on the force I apply to the pedal. The problem is, when I move the manual override it quickly flashes the same screen view on the cluster then a "Service Trailer Brake System" warning pops up.
I searched around a bit and did some reading. Some common reasons are:

1. There may be a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. If you can, pull the plug out of the back and check all the connections.
2. Check the pins on the connector...sometimes, they will corrode over time and need to be hit with sandpaper to clean them up.
3. The controller module you installed may be bad or the plugs aren't fully inserted. Apparently, there are a lot of aftermarket modules that claim to be MOPAR but aren't.

A few articles said simply removing the positive cable from the battery and reconnecting it after a few minutes helps, but isn't a long-term solution. You definitely want to figure it out before you are hauling a trailer and it locks up the wheels.

Good luck with it...has to be incredibly frustrating.

Johnallenatf

Reaction score
I searched around a bit and did some reading. Some common reasons are:

1. There may be a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. If you can, pull the plug out of the back and check all the connections.
2. Check the pins on the connector...sometimes, they will corrode over time and need to be hit with sandpaper to clean them up.
3. The controller module you installed may be bad or the plugs aren't fully inserted. Apparently, there are a lot of aftermarket modules that claim to be MOPAR but aren't.

A few articles said simply removing the positive cable from the battery and reconnecting it after a few minutes helps, but isn't a long-term solution. You definitely want to figure it out before you are hauling a trailer and it locks up the wheels.

Good luck with it...has to be incredibly frustrating.
Well it turns out I had an aftermarket switch. Replaced the switch with Mopar and it works fine. Thank you for the input. Happy New Year.

mtjag

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Wow, that is excellent. I may well be doing that in a couple of weeks. Thanks much!

Bambi2022

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Holy Crap.....so glad mine came already with factory order LOL

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a '22 Bighorn Level 1 (details in signature). I bought the following parts separately:

68277136AF trailer tow module
68309259AC switch instrument panel
68346572AB module bracket
6510468AA x3 nuts
6101946 x3 screws

All of these parts cost me exactly $150.36 plus about $15 shipping from BAM Wholesale. I spent an additional $150 plus tax to have it installed at the dealership, which included programming. So "all in" about $330.

The complete kit (82215278AF) that includes all these parts costs about $300 (plus installation). I would not recommend buying the kit...rip off.

If you don't mind digging into the dash, and have and are comfortable with AlfaOBD or similar tools, you can get this project done for about half of what I paid (i.e., around $165).

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread and helped me along the way (even if you did not know you were doing it)!

Mo381

Reaction score
Just completed my trailer brake controller install on my 2019 1500.
Found an OEM parts kit on eBay added the BAfx Obdlink II and a gateway 12+8 plug for a total of $124.
$52 for Alfaobd, and the install is complete for a total of $176 and about an hour total time, not counting all the time I spent on here researching.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!! 20230311_060551.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

dsanders

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a '22 Bighorn Level 1 (details in signature). I bought the following parts separately:

68277136AF trailer tow module
68309259AC switch instrument panel
68346572AB module bracket
6510468AA x3 nuts
6101946 x3 screws

All of these parts cost me exactly $150.36 plus about $15 shipping from BAM Wholesale. I spent an additional $150 plus tax to have it installed at the dealership, which included programming. So "all in" about $330.

The complete kit (82215278AF) that includes all these parts costs about $300 (plus installation). I would not recommend buying the kit...rip off.

If you don't mind digging into the dash, and have and are comfortable with AlfaOBD or similar tools, you can get this project done for about half of what I paid (i.e., around $165).

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread and helped me along the way (even if you did not know you were doing it)!
I'd have gladly given my dealership $150 to install it...they wanted over $1,000 plus the retail cost of the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread