5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing a sunroof after purchase.

CCA

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? Have you had issues with the work you had done?
I know they're notorious ( not necessarily ram but in general) for leaking as is from factory. Im thinking I just need to purchase the truck with it but, this is basically everything I want besides that.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not a big sunroof guy. Too noisy and messes up my pretty hair! Had my truck had one I would have bought it, but it didn't and I'm happy. Had one in my previous truck and in our Kia Sorento and never use it.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone is going to tell you absolutely don't get an aftermarket moonroof. If it's a panoramic style roof then yes there is no way I would want someone to do that aftermarket. If it's the smaller one like Ram used to put in I know there is a custom shop by where I live that has two guys there that have been doing them for over 20 years. I actually asked my local dealer if they recommended a place to do an aftermarket sunroof and they said they tell everyone to go there. I've seen their work and it looks factory. I am seriously considering having them put one in my truck. I personally love sunroofs and when I have them I use them all the time. I of course would have preferred my truck come with it but last year when I was looking I couldn't find one in stock and couldn't order one with it either.

Reactions: CCA

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I say don't do it. Why would you cut a giant hole in a perfectly intact roof? If I would have ordered my truck I would not have gotten the sunroof. But, if a sunroof is that high on your list of must haves, I suggest you keep looking for a truck with that. Or place an order and equip it exactly the way you want it.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a sunroof aftermarket. I love my sunroof, even if I just open the sunshade. I've had panoramic roofs on multiple Jeeps since 2012 and never an issue with noise or leaks. I had one that would creak if I was pulling into a steep driveway on an angle, but that was it.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Loving my sunroof, it was a last minute add on my order. The main reason I wanted it was to be able to keep an eye on any loads I may carry that extend over the cab. I had a load on my old truck shift once and I wasn't aware until someone flagged me down, it was a crew cab Frontier with no sunroof.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh good God, don't cut up your roof. WAYYYY too many horror stories in the past 64 years that I have seen with aftermarket s/roof jobs. Drive the truck till you are ready for the next one, then get one with a s/roof,(factory! lol).

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As with anything, if it's done properly it's fine. I had one put in my '05 and had no issues at all. In fact, that sunroof had features the factory one didn't. The roof came with a lifetime warranty on functionality and the shop included a lifetime warranty on leaks.
I've also heard a ton of horror stories about sunroofs gone bad, but I think a lot of those are due to inexperienced or sloppy installers. Just because a shop can do it, doesn't mean they know how to do it. Use a reputable shop that knows what they're doing and it will be fine. That said, it will probably cost as much as the factory option so if you can find a truck with all the same options plus the factory roof do that and be done with it. No down time for the aftermarket install that way.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I agree with what some here have said about having a good shop do it right, I absolutely would not have an aftermarket roof put in my truck. Heck, we see complaint after complaint on this forum about how shops can't even put the rear windows in correctly! 😆

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As with anything, if it's done properly it's fine. I had one put in my '05 and had no issues at all. In fact, that sunroof had features the factory one didn't. The roof came with a lifetime warranty on functionality and the shop included a lifetime warranty on leaks.
I've also heard a ton of horror stories about sunroofs gone bad, but I think a lot of those are due to inexperienced or sloppy installers. Just because a shop can do it, doesn't mean they know how to do it. Use a reputable shop that knows what they're doing and it will be fine. That said, it will probably cost as much as the factory option so if you can find a truck with all the same options plus the factory roof do that and be done with it. No down time for the aftermarket install that way.
You make a valid point about it being okay if properly done. But shops come and go. If nothing else, the last two years has shown us that even well established businesses can go under at any time, for any reason. What good is a lifetime warranty if the shop who did the work no longer exists?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're absolutely right that there's no guarantee that the shop won't go under. Of course the same could be said for Ram. What good is your 3 year 36K mile warranty if FCA does away with Ram. After all Studebaker, AMC, Saturn and even Pontiac no longer exist. So even car companies aren't exempt from closing up shop.
Buying anything with a warranty is only good if the company stays in business. I guess you have to pick your shop by one that is reputable and you think will stick around. That's a good point.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I agree with what some here have said about having a good shop do it right, I absolutely would not have an aftermarket roof put in my truck. Heck, we see complaint after complaint on this forum about how shops can't even put the rear windows in correctly! 😆
LOL you mean like the factory center tail light leaking.... 😬

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right that there's no guarantee that the shop won't go under. Of course the same could be said for Ram. What good is your 3 year 36K mile warranty if FCA does away with Ram. After all Studebaker, AMC, Saturn and even Pontiac no longer exist. So even car companies aren't exempt from closing up shop.
Buying anything with a warranty is only good if the company stays in business. I guess you have to pick your shop by one that is reputable and you think will stick around. That's a good point.
Definitely true. Any company can go out of business. The difference in this case is that the government isn't going to allow FCA (Stellantis) to go out of business. Just like in 1979, and again in 2008, they'd figure out some way to keep them solvent. At our (taxpayer) expense of course.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't want to stir things too much, but you really can't compare a factory s/roof to an aftermarket shop product. The factory s/roof is engineered to fit exactly in the also engineered roof panel and everything is spec'd out. An independant shop taking a sawzall and cut-off wheel to your roof is a whole different level of chance....just sayin. Good luck.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
You make a valid point about it being okay if properly done. But shops come and go. If nothing else, the last two years has shown us that even well established businesses can go under at any time, for any reason. What good is a lifetime warranty if the shop who did the work no longer exists?
I totally agree with this comment. I love supporting small business's but lifetime is not necessarily how long you own the vehicle, its how long they stay in business.
Tom

bucolic

Reaction score
Purchase it with the factory Panoramic sunroof. Go sit in a Chevy with their little sunroof and it will seem like junk after seeing the Rams.

Plus, it is only $1495 (yes, nothing to sneeze at but for what you get I think it is a bargain) and I don't think an aftermarket would be any less. I actually inquired about an after-market sunroof on my 2016 Bighorn and the local shop that has been around for over 30 years said they didn't do them anymore due to liability and airbag placements.

I love the Ram panoramic sunroof and think it is absolutely gorgeous. The light it lets in makes the cab seem much bigger and there is no buffeting when open even at highway speeds. It's one of the nicest sunroofs I have ever seen.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing noody has really mentioned, the factory sunroof is designed to be there and the roof is designed for the sunroof for the added support needed. Cutting in an aftermarket sunroof into a non-sunroof roof reduces the structural stability of the truck in a roll over.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't want to stir things too much, but you really can't compare a factory s/roof to an aftermarket shop product. The factory s/roof is engineered to fit exactly in the also engineered roof panel and everything is spec'd out. An independant shop taking a sawzall and cut-off wheel to your roof is a whole different level of chance....just sayin. Good luck.
I certainly wouldn't recommend some random shop just dropping in universal a roof that "fits". That's asking for problems. You can get aftermarket roofs that are designed for specific vehicles.

Purchase it with the factory Panoramic sunroof. Go sit in a Chevy with their little sunroof and it will seem like junk after seeing the Rams.

Plus, it is only $1495 (yes, nothing to sneeze at but for what you get I think it is a bargain) and I don't think an aftermarket would be any less. I actually inquired about an after-market sunroof on my 2016 Bighorn and the local shop that has been around for over 30 years said they didn't do them anymore due to liability and airbag placements.

I love the Ram panoramic sunroof and think it is absolutely gorgeous. The light it lets in makes the cab seem much bigger and there is no buffeting when open even at highway speeds. It's one of the nicest sunroofs I have ever seen.
I agree with all of this. The panoramic roof is amazing. And as noted, you're probably not going to save any money going aftermarket. In fact, in some cases it could cost more. I would only do the aftermarket roof if a factory one isn't available.

Another thing noody has really mentioned, the factory sunroof is designed to be there and the roof is designed for the sunroof for the added support needed. Cutting in an aftermarket sunroof into a non-sunroof roof reduces the structural stability of the truck in a roll over.
Again, this is assuming a universal fit aftermarket roof. You can get a quality aftermarket sunroof that is every bit as safe/stable as the OEM roof. The one I had put in my '05 had a support structure mounted between the headliner and sheet metal to account for the hole. It spanned the truck and framed in the sunroof.

I agree that you don't want a universal fit installed by an inexperienced shop. If you go aftermarket with an item like this, you want one designed specifically for the Ram, with that specific cab type (RC, QC, CC) and installed by a reputable shop that stands behind the product/work and has some staying power. That's a lot of requirements, but it can be done. It's just a whole lot easier to just get the factory one. My point is only that there is an option if a factory sunroof is not available.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't recommend some random shop just dropping in universal a roof that "fits". That's asking for problems. You can get aftermarket roofs that are designed for specific vehicles.

I agree with all of this. The panoramic roof is amazing. And as noted, you're probably not going to save any money going aftermarket. In fact, in some cases it could cost more. I would only do the aftermarket roof if a factory one isn't available.

Again, this is assuming a universal fit aftermarket roof. You can get a quality aftermarket sunroof that is every bit as safe/stable as the OEM roof. The one I had put in my '05 had a support structure mounted between the headliner and sheet metal to account for the hole. It spanned the truck and framed in the sunroof.

I agree that you don't want a universal fit installed by an inexperienced shop. If you go aftermarket with an item like this, you want one designed specifically for the Ram, with that specific cab type (RC, QC, CC) and installed by a reputable shop that stands behind the product/work and has some staying power. That's a lot of requirements, but it can be done. It's just a whole lot easier to just get the factory one. My point is only that there is an option if a factory sunroof is not available.
sorry, I disagree...there is no such thing as an "exact-fit" a/m sunroof for a non-sunroof panel. It can be the greatest quality sunroof on the planet, but someone has to take a hand-held device and cut a giant hole in your roof. That makes it risky no matter what. If a human is involved in the cutting, it could go wrong. Factory panels are stamped to exact specs...not cut up afterwards. I wouldn't even think about it on a $50K plus vehicle. To each his own!

Users who are viewing this thread