5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing a sunroof after purchase.

Don't cut into your roof. You think an aftermarket is going to be put in as well as something that was meant to be there from the first place? You're going to spend at least as much, if not more, for someone to cut into your roof and put a non-factory window in there.

Like others have mentioned, the warranty lasts as long as the business does. I don't really foresee FCA going out of business faster than a smaller shop.

.... someone has to take a hand-held device and cut a giant hole in your roof. That makes it risky no matter what. If a human is involved in the cutting, it could go wrong. ....
You're absolutely right, I haven't disputed that one bit. That's why I'd find a good shop if you're going to do it.
You'll also note that I've said more than once that I'd recommend the factory roof if possible. Don't take my responses to mean that I think it's the best option. I'm simply saying that it is an option, that can be done without issues. I'm also not saying that even though it can be done correctly that it will be done correctly.
People lost their minds (citing the same concerns about leaks and making holes) when I mentioned putting cab lights on one of my old trucks. I ended up doing my own install because I was the only one I trusted drilling holes into the roof of a brand new truck. They turned out great and I had no leaks the entire time I owned it. I've actually done it to several trucks now. If I can put lights in properly, someone can put a roof in properly. Obviously that's a much bigger hole with more potential issues, but it CAN be done. Not saying it SHOULD be done.

Simply put, I wouldn't try it! Wait until next year comes around or your next upgrade time, and get it with the sunroof then. Its doable but its hard to find the right shop that will not only do it right, but if its not done right one that will make it right to you afterward. As a dealer we have seen to many horror stories of a promise of a job well done, then when its not delivered the customer is treated like a nuisance and doesnt get help or a resolution. Would hate to see that happen to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Back