5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed the S&B Cold air

SColang22

Reaction score
Will do!

Any recommendations on a S&B vs aFe Power cold air flow filters?
I'm in the same boat. AFE claims more air flow but who really knows. They will both probably do the same thing.

Diesel

Reaction score
Silver 64,

That is a sweet intake and mine will be here later this week. I have installed many CAIs on multiple vehicles, all with great results especially if you join them with additional bolts-ons and good tuning software. The key here is if you are going to let more air in the motor, you have to let it out. The first restriction begins with the inlet, which is the factory airbox, which contains your typical paper filter and an additional carbon cotton filter. Then if you move to the exhaust, the outlet restriction is the factory resonator and its design. Then, if available, which is limited for the 19s, is adding a good tuner in the mix. Think of these three things as a badass three course meal--a delight for every patron if prepared right.

So here is my plan to put what I have and what I believe will be a great combination. I recently replaced my exhaust resonator with B2Fabrication 14" replacement muffler and have, sitting in front of me is the Edge Pulsar piggy back tuner. From the research and those who I have talked to, and the excellent credibility Edge has in the tuner world, has convinced me that Edge Products have in fact modified spark, fuel table, shift logic, and throttle response for their various 8-levels of performance. While minute in there effect, remember, these are big heavy trucks, the gain is noticeable which in my experience will only be enhanced with complimentary inlet and outlet improvement. That is a deal winner for me. I will add both the S&B CAI and Pulsar Tuner together.

Finally, any time you disconnect the negative side of the battery when doing any mods (please adhere to this) is to give the ECU time to relearn everything that you modified; this is critical and for the most part should be achieved within 500-750 miles based on your driving style, fuel you use, temps, and other conditions. Hope that clears up the benefits of bolt-on/add-on devices. Just follow and learn from those on this and other forums. Do some research and you will know the who and where to go to modify your truck with the best products with the best results.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
I used the S&B on my previous Hemi's, and I really liked it. The build quality is top notch, and the clear lid is good looking. The main thing I noticed is drivability, the truck just drove better, responded better. I don't think it added any power to my Hemi (stock tune) but it drove better and sounded amazing! Planning on getting one for my 2019 soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_144642.jpg
    IMG_20190514_144642.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 55

Diesel

Reaction score
I used the S&B on my previous Hemi's, and I really liked it. The build quality is top notch, and the clear lid is good looking. The main thing I noticed is drivability, the truck just drove better, responded better. I don't think it added any power to my Hemi (stock tune) but it drove better and sounded amazing! Planning on getting one for my 2019 soon.
Firebird,

Thanks for the input and yes, your revelation is exactly what a great bolt-on can do for your motor. In your own experience, a good CAI like the S&B, may not increase HP/TQ, I'd beg to differ here, but you removed the inlet restriction which in turn rewarded you with improvements in drivability, response, and overall performance and sound. That my friend is exactly we as consumers are looking for. I could care less about numbers, I want performance and drivability all day long. Thank you for sharing

Caballonegro

Reaction score
I will have my Pulsar in 2 days, with my S&B CAI and Outlaw Exhaust, I am pretty excited. By the way for anyone ordering a Pulsar, if you call them directly and ask for the military and law enforcement Discount, they will ship it out in 2 days free and it comes out to $424 with no tax.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry I am renewing this thread, but is the noise worth it? I am not looking for huge gains, just a nice growl....
You will get some noise under the hood but NO growl. A sealed box CAI like a S&B should not provide any additional noise at all since it's sealed like the OEM box. For "growl" you'll need a new exhaust/muffler for that ;) Check out the B2 muffler kit.

lukesteeler89

Reaction score
You will get some noise under the hood but NO growl. A sealed box CAI like a S&B should not provide any additional noise at all since it's sealed like the OEM box. For "growl" you'll need a new exhaust/muffler for that ;) Check out the B2 muffler kit.
Less than $300 for a full set up??? Sounds too good to be true....

Night Rebel

Reaction score
So I drove to Florida last week without the cover on the S&B intake. And honestly the drove and sound great. The temperature actually was great with it off maybe lower. The coolant temp hovered around 208. The highest I saw was 217 at idle and 203 cruising At 80 down the interstate. And I must say it compliments the Carven exhaust nicely!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I drove to Florida last week without the cover on the S&B intake. And honestly the drove and sound great. The temperature actually was great with it off maybe lower. The coolant temp hovered around 208. The highest I saw was 217 at idle and 203 cruising At 80 down the interstate. And I must say it compliments the Carven exhaust nicely!
Without the cover on it's a HOT AIR INTAKE...you are defeating the purpose of the CAI. It was designed with a lid for a reason ;)

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Without the cover on it's a HOT AIR INTAKE...you are defeating the purpose of the CAI. It was designed with a lid for a reason ;)
I’m not arguing that. It just seems to preform better off. IMO.

airclnr

Reaction score
Just replaced my stock muffler with a Magnaflow on my 2020 Ram and am considering the S & B intake. Has anyone gotten better fuel mileage after installing this intake? Just curious...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just replaced my stock muffler with a Magnaflow on my 2020 Ram and am considering the S & B intake. Has anyone gotten better fuel mileage after installing this intake? Just curious...
Save your money. Take your factory air box...remove the carbon filter and install a quality drop-in dry filter like an AEM or others. You will get the same results. If you want eye candy under the hood, then you are welcome to spend $300 for that. You will get no improved performance or mileage.

airclnr

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Already removed the carbon filter and will go get a good drop in filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/