5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed the S&B Cold air

Yedi

Reaction score
Looks good. I have a S&B on my 99' Tahoe, and love it, great quality. Curious where it pulls the air from? Does it use the stock inlet behind the grill?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good. I have a S&B on my 99' Tahoe, and love it, great quality. Curious where it pulls the air from? Does it use the stock inlet behind the grill?
It has two inlets. A snorkel that faces the grill and an optional about 5 inch square block you can keep or remove from the base box (they recommend installing without that block in place) The block faces the fender so it faces away from the engine and exhaust.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice, was this shipped from S&B direct or purchased and shipped through a vendor ?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was just released for the 2019 6 lug trucks from S&B so I got it direct from them. (additional note- I pre-ordered it before it was available)
Nice, was this shipped from S&B direct or purchased and shipped through a vendor ?

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s amazing as I can’t see that many people have purchased this already. Maybe they produced a really small amount to test out the market ?

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Call them. It says it’s out of stock but when I called they placed my order and shipped to me within a week. Easy install good quality and solid price

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the benefit of these. I see a lot of people doing them as a mod. More HP? More responsive! What's the advantage or difference if doing this vs a Pulsar or Pedal Commander?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the benefit of these. I see a lot of people doing them as a mod. More HP? More responsive! What's the advantage or difference if doing this vs a Pulsar or Pedal Commander?
The purpose is to allow the engine as much clean cold air as possible. Under normal circumstances, an increase in airflow to the engine also increases the efficiency of the combustion process, creating more horsepower and torque . These types of intake boxes & filters permit a much higher level of airflow than the standard stock air box in almost all cases . The results are usually a moderate increase in hp as well as better mileage and of course engine airflow. The side benefits are that you don't throw away the air filter when it gets dirty you just clean it, re-oil it and put it back (it also makes my truck sound better). The lessor version of this doesn't require that you replace the stock air box you just replace the filter with one of these with a higher airflow efficiency. You should do this as a minimum for any vehicle you own. What brand you choose is entirely up to you. There are differences from brand to brand but usually a similar result in the end.

Last edited:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will do!

Any recommendations on a S&B vs aFe Power cold air flow filters?
I can speak to the S&B & K&N as I have had both brands on various vehicles. The S&B is my current favorite because the cone shaped filter is gigantic and lets so much air flow into the engine its almost like running without any airflow restriction at all and I just happen to like the innovation of the clear plastic cover so I can see when its dirty. Most companies have the filter box open at the top which allows a lot more dirt and dust to contaminate the filter. Theres nothing wrong with K&N and they have been around forever with very good products so i would not hesitate to use their products as well.

@733

Reaction score
Here is a link to an informational article on CAI's for those of us less mechanically inclined...

SColang22

Reaction score
It has two inlets. A snorkel that faces the grill and an optional about 5 inch square block you can keep or remove from the base box (they recommend installing without that block in place) The block faces the fender so it faces away from the engine and exhaust.
I would recommend cutting a whole for it in the wheel well. Its still going to pull engine heat if you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread