5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Du Ha storage box

cash4trash

Reaction score
Put the du ha box in this morning. The install is not as easy as the instructions say. Those spring clip's on the plastic cover are a PITA,and the seat hold down bolts have loctite.. got er done , looks good. Chris

Attachments

• 15752353229763459662009995084507.jpg
    15752353229763459662009995084507.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 551
  • 15752353782288578263024332617544.jpg
    15752353782288578263024332617544.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 544

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Put the du ha box in this morning. The install is not as easy as the instructions say. Those spring clip's on the plastic cover are a PITA,and the seat hold down bolts have loctite.. got er done , looks good. Chris
Thanks for the info on the loctite. Just "muscled" them off?

cash4trash

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the loctite. Just "muscled" them off?
Yep. It's difficult to get to the bolts as well, and I used a Milwaukee cordless ratchet. I still needed to turn ratchet by hand on one of the bolts because loctite, and it says torque to specs, but I don't have so I just tightened the heck outta em. Chris

Jako

Reaction score
Yep. It's difficult to get to the bolts as well, and I used a Milwaukee cordless ratchet. I still needed to turn ratchet by hand on one of the bolts because loctite, and it says torque to specs, but I don't have so I just tightened the heck outta em. Chris
Thanks again. I did rear seat covers and thought about disconnecting the seats for easier access but time was limited and didn't know what I could be getting myself into. I did not have the E socket (female torx) either and did not want to "play games". I'm looking to make something for under the seat storage and the seat bolts look like very good attachment points.. Need something custom as my level is 4' 6" + and I need the distance.
I'm no engineer but from what I can gather torque settings are tricky if the threads are not clean. No idea how loctite or loctite residue effect the setting but "tightened the heck" sounds reasonable. It seems the torque setting for the oil pan drain plug is in hiding. I think it is by design as oils change the torque setting and I doubt getting all the oil off is a reasonable endeavor. It seems most snug the bolt and give it one more "tug".
I did 130 ft/lb on the lug nuts 2 1/2 months ago and it was tough getting them off, added a pipe to my 1/2" ratchet (breaker bar on my Christmas list) on a few. I question if an emergency tire change would go well with the Ram tools at that setting.
Thanks for the insight on the loctite.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Thanks again. I did rear seat covers and thought about disconnecting the seats for easier access but time was limited and didn't know what I could be getting myself into. I did not have the E socket (female torx) either and did not want to "play games". I'm looking to make something for under the seat storage and the seat bolts look like very good attachment points.. Need something custom as my level is 4' 6" + and I need the distance.
I'm no engineer but from what I can gather torque settings are tricky if the threads are not clean. No idea how loctite or loctite residue effect the setting but "tightened the heck" sounds reasonable. It seems the torque setting for the oil pan drain plug is in hiding. I think it is by design as oils change the torque setting and I doubt getting all the oil off is a reasonable endeavor. It seems most snug the bolt and give it one more "tug".
I did 130 ft/lb on the lug nuts 2 1/2 months ago and it was tough getting them off, added a pipe to my 1/2" ratchet (breaker bar on my Christmas list) on a few. I question if an emergency tire change would go well with the Ram tools at that setting.

What are the factory torque of the lug nuts? If you over torque them you can roll the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cash4trash

Reaction score
Hey Jacko, the bolts I had to remove were probably 8 mm, that uses a 18mm socket. These are the rear mounting bolts. Oh, I think your'e talking about front mounting bolts,,, my bad.. Not sure on the lug nuts, but it depends on wheel type.

Chris

Jako

Reaction score
What are the factory torque of the lug nuts? If you over torque them you can roll the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As per owner's manual
Torque Specifications Lug Nut/Bolt 130 Ft-Lbs (176 N·m)
Cone M14 x 1.50 22 mm
**Use only your authorized dealer recommended lug nuts/
bolts and clean or remove any dirt or oil before tightening.
NOTE: Do not oil wheel studs. For chrome wheels, do not
substitute with chrome plated wheel nuts.

Jako

Reaction score
Hey Jacko, the bolts I had to remove were probably 8 mm, that uses a 18mm socket. These are the rear mounting bolts. Oh, I think your'e talking about front mounting bolts,,, my bad.. Not sure on the lug nuts, but it depends on wheel type.

Chris
Yeah - 2 different types of bolts. Why - No idea?
Guesses about FCA:
1. They shouldn't touch these bolts so we'll use 2 different. Add some loctite also.
2. FCA got a deal on them.
3. Make the owner's life difficult.
4. If they really want to remove the seats let them go buy the E sockets.
5. Let them buy the Mopar under seat storage.
5. Fiat - Italy - European - taking lessons from German engineering. (BMW MC owners know what I mean)
6. Serious answer?????????

BMW used red loctite on my tail frame bolts in rivnuts (think Ram bed rails) on my 2016 K1300S. They need to be removed to put the luggage rack on and the rivnuts were round. Don't know what Klause was thinking that day.

cash4trash

Reaction score
Yeah - 2 different types of bolts. Why - No idea?
Guesses about FCA:
1. They shouldn't touch these bolts so we'll use 2 different. Add some loctite also.
2. FCA got a deal on them.
3. Make the owner's life difficult.
4. If they really want to remove the seats let them go buy the E sockets.
5. Let them buy the Mopar under seat storage.
5. Fiat - Italy - European - taking lessons from German engineering. (BMW MC owners know what I mean)
6. Serious answer?????????

BMW used red loctite on my tail frame bolts in rivnuts (think Ram bed rails) on my 2016 K1300S. They need to be removed to put the luggage rack on and the rivnuts were round. Don't know what Klause was thinking that day.
HAHA! Yep, I remember when these torx fasteners came out. I sold auto parts in the late 80's, and GM had em on everything, and some stuff turned to metric bolts.. WOW, how tricky manufacturers have become. LOL Chris

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
Hey 68, The install is easy if you don't have that flip down board/ box. Otherwise you gotta hassle with that spring clip, and pry gently on that cover.. Chris

im not sure what flip down board you are referring to but i dont have anything like that under my back seat.

Jako

Reaction score
HAHA! Yep, I remember when these torx fasteners came out. I sold auto parts in the late 80's, and GM had em on everything, and some stuff turned to metric bolts.. WOW, how tricky manufacturers have become. LOL Chris
I try to be a DIY but I shy away from cars/trucks because of stuff like this. Have to give it up somewhere. It is because somethings can not be done without the correct equipment and teacher/coach. Today the internet makes the learning easy. Still remember trying to get the exhaust pipe manifold nut off. Than the mechanic who lives in the neighborhood told me I need to heat it to get off.
Fiat 124 sport coupe (fun car)- waiting a week for parts back in the day. O2 sensor on my 2001 Dodge SLT aftermarket did not work despite being the correct part #. Again, mechanic from neighborhood (different mechanic, different neighborhood) took a picture sent to his friend at the parts dealership. Oh yeah again - needed the O2 wrench to get it off.
I have respect for the mechanics AND the parts guy.

cash4trash

Reaction score
im not sure what flip down board you are referring to but i dont have anything like that under my back seat.
yeah, I think that's only on the limited model. So, I see you have a big horn, and it's A LOT easier to install. You just need to lift seats, remove one bolt from either side,(18mm) get the metal strap from hardware kit, install loose on either side. Then slide Du Ha in place. Put lynch pin through one of the two holes, which ever fits better, then tighten each of the seat hold down bolts. Chris

cash4trash

Reaction score
I try to be a DIY but I shy away from cars/trucks because of stuff like this. Have to give it up somewhere. It is because somethings can not be done without the correct equipment and teacher/coach. Today the internet makes the learning easy. Still remember trying to get the exhaust pipe manifold nut off. Than the mechanic who lives in the neighborhood told me I need to heat it to get off.
Fiat 124 sport coupe (fun car)- waiting a week for parts back in the day. O2 sensor on my 2001 Dodge SLT aftermarket did not work despite being the correct part #. Again, mechanic from neighborhood (different mechanic, different neighborhood) took a picture sent to his friend at the parts dealership. Oh yeah again - needed the O2 wrench to get it off.
I have respect for the mechanics AND the parts guy.
Yep, I've had my fair share of failed/call to the mechanic repairs. I have an old diesel RV that iv'e owned for 15yrs and do almost all repairs on. I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who's an amazing mechanic, who's helped on many occasions. He's the one who's gonna help me swap out the engine on the Willy's someday. but we haven't got around to it yet.... Someday... Chris

Cravenfan

Reaction score

Are those two rifle storage slots in the picture? if so, have you tried them out yet?

Jako

Reaction score
Yep, I've had my fair share of failed/call to the mechanic repairs. I have an old diesel RV that iv'e owned for 15yrs and do almost all repairs on. I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who's an amazing mechanic, who's helped on many occasions. He's the one who's gonna help me swap out the engine on the Willy's someday. but we haven't got around to it yet.... Someday... Chris
Do you have enough tomorrows to do all the someday projects?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Main pic is kind of blurry. Any chance you can post something more clear?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread