5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside windshield crack

riothard

Reaction score
Last nite driving home from work I heard a loud snap, I was alone on the road, sounded like a rock hit the windshield. on the left lower side of the windshield i seen and felt a 1 inch horizontal crack, when I parked at the house I felt the outside of the crack and nothing but smooth, so it is a inner glass crack. I took it right away to the dealer to get it checked and to make sure if it cracks further it will be under warranty, they were surprised and said never seen anything like that. they took pics of the crack, of the truck, odometer and vin. I have a 2020 1500 limited with 902 miles on it. They will get a ruling on it so hope it will be covered.

ramhead

Reaction score
Hard to tell but sounds like possibly defective windshield glass or improper install at the factory. Hopefully you didn't tell them it "sounded like a rock hit the windshield" because if they report it that way to FCA, they will probably rule it as an insurance claim for you on your own and deny warranty coverage.

RJS

Reaction score
Had a 2008 Impala do the same thing. Left for Florida, heard a slight snap, no traffic at the time and a crack appears in the upper drivers side windshield. I watched it slowly grow as we traveled and it continued to grow directly into my sight line. Insurance replaced the windshield when we got to Florida.

There was no damage to the windshield nor trim that I could see. Car was about 4 years old at the time.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Last nite driving home from work I heard a loud snap, I was alone on the road, sounded like a rock hit the windshield. on the left lower side of the windshield i seen and felt a 1 inch horizontal crack, when I parked at the house I felt the outside of the crack and nothing but smooth, so it is a inner glass crack. I took it right away to the dealer to get it checked and to make sure if it cracks further it will be under warranty, they were surprised and said never seen anything like that. they took pics of the crack, of the truck, odometer and vin. I have a 2020 1500 limited with 902 miles on it. They will get a ruling on it so hope it will be covered.

Hi riothard,

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you! If you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer for this, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We are always happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

bigwhttrk19dt

Reaction score
A similar crack happened on my Silverado. The temp change, inside to outside, caused it to crack. Even though I was out of the state from which I bought the truck, I went to the closest Chevy truck dealer to verify it was not something that hit the windshield. Indeed the service mgr agreed, gave me his business card and said to have "my dealer's" service manager call hi if any questions. To shorten this... the dealership replaced the glass. My son worked for years for Pilkinton glass. He informed me that windshields, regardless of make or model, would crack when in the warehouse if / when the doors were open for receipts. Temp delta.

Users who are viewing this thread