5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Initial thoughts...

Ramajama

Reaction score
I do need to look into the navigation routing. When I plugged in my destination I didn't see the overall route it picked. It turned out to be the one I avoid. The route through Atlanta. I travel up 95 to 26 to 40 and finally catch 75 near Knoxville. It kept trying to take me the Atlanta way for probably 20 miles in Jacksonville until it finally asked if I wanted to change the route. There must be a way to see available routes and pick one. Yeah, I know my way and I don't need the navigational help. I like to use it for distance and time left.

I'm not going to use Google maps through the system. My phone is in my pocket when I drive and don't need to or want to mess with it while I'm in the vehicles.

Whenever you enter in your destinations it will give you what it considers the fastest route. But before you hit “GO”..check the alternatives menu. I have used this several times to make sure it goes away I want to go.

Attachments

• 8054ED8D-2250-4304-90BB-F814FC0D22BF.jpeg
    8054ED8D-2250-4304-90BB-F814FC0D22BF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ramajama

Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Rebel. I love the off road look and ride. I don't do much off roading but still enjoy the look and feel of the Rebel.

The new Rebel looks great...but I too am a bit disappointed that I can't get cooled seats and the 12" screen as options. I'm not sure what I'll get come early 2020....I'll have to decide then. Love the look but want a few of the options from the Laramie. Guess we'll see!

I believe you can order the new rebel with something called the elite package that has ventilated seats and maybe the 12 inch screen. . You might want to check on that.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 000621 miles.

Only five days old, but here's my initial feelings:

Ride & Noise - Many people who rode in my 2010 and 2015 Ram 1500s remarked about the smooth ride and quiet interior. This 2019 is smoother and much quieter than either of my 4th gen 1500s. Wind noise is almost non-existent. Nobody so far can hear the engine, which prompted one passenger to ask if the engine stalled at a traffic light. The Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT tires I can hear and seem a little louder than the Wrangler SRAs.

Comfort - I have the bench seat and they are noticeably more comfortable than the bucket seats in my 2014 Big Horn.

Radio & Audio - My 2010 had the cheapest radio. It was okay. My 2014 had the next better radio and the AM receiver was as bad as a 1930s crystal set. The standard 8.4 radio in this Laramie has a much better AM and FM radio receiver. I still get drop outs on the Sirius satellite radio but not as bad as the 2014. However, my previous radios had more station presets for AM/FM/Satellite and I find that only 12 presets per band on this new one annoying.

Performance - Since my towing requirements have dropped dramatically, I no longer needed a 3.92 axle and 20-inch tires. My other Rams with the 3.92 could get wheelspin in 2nd gear (the 2014 had the 8 speed and would chip some times going into 3rd). The 3.21 axle isn't going to do that. However, surprisingly with the 8HP75, once who overcome the initial launch the (seat of the pants) acceleration through the gears seems the same - a nice strong pull through each gear. I can see that on grades the ECO lamp goes off easier and sooner, but on flat terrain I'm seeing 22-24 mpg from the computer on my first tank. That didn't happen on my previous 4th gens (15.9, 17.1 respectively).

Other - Not use to the Blind Spot Monitor or Park Sense features yet, but I'm using them. Had trouble getting my garage door opener to sync with Homelink, but that's because there's an error in the Owners Manual. I know the 4th gens like the back of my hand and so far every area I've looked they have made a change in assembly, design, or material. The increase of the tactile feel of the instrumentation and controls has been a notable step upscale.

I miss the storage capability of the 4th gens, however. My 2014 had the rear folding load floor panels and rear seat bulkhead that isolated items placed under the seats. This Laramie is open underneath the rear seats and stuff rolls out of position sometimes when I stop. Plus, I can hear some items rattle.

More later.

Best regards,
Dusty

Ramajama

Reaction score
Were did u see this? I never heard of this
I believe I recall seeing that very same question about ventilated seats on allpar and the question was answered by one of the salesman members of the site and mentioned the elite package or something to that effect. I’m sorry I just don’t have time to go look for it right now.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Sound system.....

This is the nicest sound system I've ever had in any vehicle. I haven't even messed with the balance, fade, bass, treble, etc. It's more than good enough for me. I'm happy to be able to pick up the Sirius / XM stations in the 300's. I doubt I'll ever use the Android Auto features for Pandora even though I listen to Pandora with ear buds when I'm working outside around the house.

Do you have the normal or premium B/O sound system? Just curious.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I recall seeing that very same question about ventilated seats on allpar and the question was answered by one of the salesman members of the site and mentioned the elite package or something to that effect. I’m sorry I just don’t have time to go look for it right now.

Became available on 4th Gen Rebels around 2017 I believe. No 12 inch UConnect or full leather with cooled seats available on the 2019 Rebel, yet.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I miss the storage capability of the 4th gens, however. My 2014 had the rear folding load floor panels and rear seat bulkhead that isolated items placed under the seats. This Laramie is open underneath the rear seats and stuff rolls out of position sometimes when I stop. Plus, I can hear some items rattle.
You can order the "Rear Under-Seat Compartment Storage" that will give you the bulkhead to isolate your items. This has bugged me also, as this is where I keep my umbrella and hate having it slide around in the back. I will be ordering this soon. It is listed as $95 on a window sticker, but not sure how much a dealer will charge.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can order the "Rear Under-Seat Compartment Storage" that will give you the bulkhead to isolate your items. This has bugged me also, as this is where I keep my umbrella and hate having it slide around in the back. I will be ordering this soon. It is listed as $95 on a window sticker, but not sure how much a dealer will charge.

Wow. Thank you. Is this item a Ram part? Do you have a part number?

Thanks in advance,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 000621 miles.

jschneider910

Reaction score
My truck should be arriving any day- I'm enjoying these initial reviews. I have an F150 Lariat with Lux package (502a), so it's definitely not stripped down. However, the interior quality, sound system, and tech are what sold me on the Ram. It's great to hear the impressions I got on the test drive (smoothness, noise level) were accurate.

I'm a bit of an audiophile and I was immediately disappointed with the Sony system in my F150 when I got it- look forward to the H/K for sure!

rp781

Reaction score
My truck should be arriving any day- I'm enjoying these initial reviews. I have an F150 Lariat with Lux package (502a), so it's definitely not stripped down. However, the interior quality, sound system, and tech are what sold me on the Ram. It's great to hear the impressions I got on the test drive (smoothness, noise level) were accurate.

I'm a bit of an audiophile and I was immediately disappointed with the Sony system in my F150 when I got it- look forward to the H/K for sure!
I'm really interested to see your opinion on the HK sound system vs. the Ford Sony. I'm 4 days into my Laramie with HK and have mixed feelings of it's performance vs. my 2016 Ford with Sony system. Initial thoughts are that the H/K is clearer in louder volumes but the Sony offers more "kick in the teeth" performance!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see your opinion on the HK sound system vs. the Ford Sony. I'm 4 days into my Laramie with HK and have mixed feelings of it's performance vs. my 2016 Ford with Sony system. Initial thoughts are that the H/K is clearer in louder volumes but the Sony offers more "kick in the teeth" performance!

After listening to basically the same music on my 19 hour trip from Michigan to Florida last week in my 2016 F150 King Ranch and then Sunday in the 2019 Ram Limited, there is no question in my mind the HK Ram system is superior. This also is Sirius/XM vs Sirius/XM in both. I don't blare it, I listen at comfortable levels as I travel with my dog and I won't subject him to loud music. You won't hear what I'm listening to cars away at stoplights....... Which aggravates me to no end.... You know the ones with the bass so overpowering I can feel it in my vehicle. Anyway.... I listened to many of the same songs and I actually had thought to myself that the new system was way nicer to listen to.

jschneider910

Reaction score

I'll gladly report back. The Sony is ok on some sources (BT audio) but incredibly flat on others (USB, CD, Sirius). Sirius varies among systems- It sounds like absolute crap in my Ford and Audi's I've had but is very decent in the Bose systems (wife's Infiniti) I've had. I prefer listening to CD's and high bit rate MP3's via USB since the quality is usually the highest- While I respect that BT audio is by far the most popular source, I guess I'm disappointed that Ford didn't tune these sources. If Sirius/XM sounds good, it's usually just an unexpected bonus.

I'm expecting the imaging to be a lot better due to that amount of speakers in the Ram.

rp781

Reaction score
After listening to basically the same music on my 19 hour trip from Michigan to Florida last week in my 2016 F150 King Ranch and then Sunday in the 2019 Ram Limited, there is no question in my mind the HK Ram system is superior. This also is Sirius/XM vs Sirius/XM in both. I don't blare it, I listen at comfortable levels as I travel with my dog and I won't subject him to loud music. You won't hear what I'm listening to cars away at stoplights....... Which aggravates me to no end.... You know the ones with the bass so overpowering I can feel it in my vehicle. Anyway.... I listened to many of the same songs and I actually had thought to myself that the new system was way nicer to listen to.
I can understand that but I like to listen to my music pretty loud when I'm driving down the highway. The H/K is a great system but it doesn't get loud enough for me. Also think the Bass in the Sony hits a little harder. It's all about how each person listens but neither system is bad:)

John813

Reaction score
You have two choices the the EcoBoost. Either you get "eco" or you get "boost" not both.

My point was that in normal driving, where the ecoboost would not be in boost it still got worse MPG cruising around the highway or city driving. Obviously you won't get good gas mileage when you are giving it gas.

Ramajama

Reaction score
Became available on 4th Gen Rebels around 2017 I believe. No 12 inch UConnect or full leather with cooled seats available on the 2019 Rebel, yet.

Yep, my salesman confirmed today....no vented seats no 12” screen...at the moment. I’m not sure what they were talking about on the thread I saw.???

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, my salesman confirmed today....no vented seats no 12” screen...at the moment. I’m not sure what they were talking about on the thread I saw.???

I'm not sure, I havent seen that particular thread. Earlier this year Ralph Giles posted a 2019 Rebel photo on instagram, someone mentioned the lack of the 12 inch screen and Ralph said if I remember correctly something along the lines of stay tuned. I personally thought they might be holding those back for the TR and TRX, but a more premium package for the Rebel could always be a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread