5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infamous Whistle Noise PLEASE HELP

BigBill1

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me. New to the forum but not new to the information that you guys been providing in this forum and I would like to say Thank You!

I have a 2019 2500 with a cummins. I absolutely LOVE my truck. I just don't know what I can do to stop the whistling noise in the cabin.

It starts as my speed goes above 35mph. Sounds like its coming from the vents. Its textbook as to everyone else's. When i have the cabin Recirculation turned to on I hear it and when I turn it off to let the outside air through the vents in, it goes away. Its driving me NUTS. Yes I can turn the radio on but there's plenty of times after a long day that I just want some quiet driving time and I can't even get that before heading home to the Mrs which is anything but quiet time.

Ive been reading everyone else's issues and although its common, i don't seem to get a definitive answer in to how to correct the problem. I have replaced the exterior cabin vents which are located behind the back seat on the firewall.. NOTHING, I replaced the cabin filter and door and nothing.

I don't want to go to the dealer and have them pull the dash because the truck will never be the same after a mid 20 year old that's been promoted from oil changer to remove your dash do the work...

Please help me, I want to keep this truck but I don't know if I can with this.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you hearing this whistle only when the vehicle is moving?

Despite your fear, this might only be resolvable by the dealer's service folks. If you are hearing this whistle through the vents and it only happens when in the recirculation mode, it could be air leaking past the Recirculation Door in the HVAC housing when the door should be closed. But there could be other causes, such as a poor door or window seals.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053727 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I might suggest that you post this up in the HD forum or the 4th gen forum. Because of differences between 4th and 5th gen design, a fix that works for a 5th gen might not work on yours. I owned a couple different 4th gen 1500's and never really saw many complaints about the whistling you're describing in 4th gen forums. Never owned a HD so I don't frequent those forums.

BigBill1

Reaction score
I get what you're saying Mikeru82.. Its just so common that i guess when people get it resolved they never post a resolution to help us.

BigBill1

Reaction score
and yes i only hear it while moving. over 35 and the faster i go the louder or more annoying it gets. I even tried putting the truck in neutral on the highway, folded the mirrors in and nothing. It seems like its coming out of the drivers side vent area or even A pillar where it meets the dash by the speaker on the drivers side. Hope someone has something for me.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Same problem here. 2019 Bighorn. Whenever I hear it, I hit the recirculate button twice (off/back on) and it goes away for a bit. Had a 7 hour drive a few weeks ago and it seems every 45 mins to an hour I would hear it. When I’m driving in the city, I may not hear but I can smell a difference in the air since the outside air starts coming in. Very annoying, I too would love to know if anyone has solved it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw in another thread about someone who found a whistle problem caused by poor sealing at the driver's A-pillar.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053727 miles.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw in another thread about someone who found a whistle problem caused by poor sealing at the driver's A-pillar.

Best regards,
Dusty
I was one of those (and I posted pictures in that thread, post # 803), but my noise didn't change/go away when the HVAC recirc was turned on/off...it was just always there when going 60+. IIRC there are at least 5-6 different known common causes for whistles in the 5th Gen 1500s:

- Poor A-Pillar to body seal (what caused mine)
- A leak somewhere in the HVAC (sounds like the OP's problem)
- Defective/poorly installed door trim/seals
- Caused by the mirrors, replacement fixes
- Loose trim around the windshield cowl and/or improperly installed cowl
- Missing seals in the firewall behind the instrument panel

There could be more (like where one guy had a random hole underneath the body of the truck), but that's what I've seen based on my own research. And yea, I'm not sure any of this would really apply to a '19 HD, but I would definitely focus on the HVAC system first.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was one of those (and I posted pictures in that thread, post # 803), but my noise didn't change/go away when the HVAC recirc was turned on/off...it was just always there when going 60+. IIRC there are at least 5-6 different known common causes for whistles in the 5th Gen 1500s:

- Poor A-Pillar to body seal (what caused mine)
- Defective/poorly installed door trim/seals
- Caused by the mirrors, replacement fixes
- Loose trim around the windshield cowl and/or improperly installed cowl
- Missing seals in the firewall behind the instrument panel

There could be more (like where one guy had a random hole underneath the body of the truck), but that's what I've seen based on my own research. And yea, I'm not sure any of this would really apply to a '19 HD, but I would definitely focus on the HVAC system first.

Yeah, that was my first thought, especially since he hears it coming through the vents. I had a '77 Impala that had the same exact problem and it turned out to be the Recirculation Door was not closing all the way.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053740 miles.

Ashtondj88

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help me. New to the forum but not new to the information that you guys been providing in this forum and I would like to say Thank You!

I have a 2019 2500 with a cummins. I absolutely LOVE my truck. I just don't know what I can do to stop the whistling noise in the cabin.

It starts as my speed goes above 35mph. Sounds like its coming from the vents. Its textbook as to everyone else's. When i have the cabin Recirculation turned to on I hear it and when I turn it off to let the outside air through the vents in, it goes away. Its driving me NUTS. Yes I can turn the radio on but there's plenty of times after a long day that I just want some quiet driving time and I can't even get that before heading home to the Mrs which is anything but quiet time.

Ive been reading everyone else's issues and although its common, i don't seem to get a definitive answer in to how to correct the problem. I have replaced the exterior cabin vents which are located behind the back seat on the firewall.. NOTHING, I replaced the cabin filter and door and nothing.

I don't want to go to the dealer and have them pull the dash because the truck will never be the same after a mid 20 year old that's been promoted from oil changer to remove your dash do the work...

Please help me, I want to keep this truck but I don't know if I can with this.
Ever figure anything out for this? I also have a similar problem. Whistle noise at 60ish and over, toggling the recirc makes it go away for a bit. Mine also seems to happen more and is louder with the AC running. It’s un-drivable when I have the recirc on.

montyh

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 ram longhorn Friday with 40k miles.... The first time I take it on the freeway going 70+ the whistling noise is coming from the passenger front post or window area, vents closed, open, recirculation on, off, doesn't matter... The only thing I've noticed is when it's colder it happens at lower speeds like 65, is it because the material is shrinking when it's colder like 15 Fahrenheit and createsa bigger gab? I just traded my 2019 siverado Ld that had noise issues in the cab making my ears ring and pressure in my head now this whistling b.s. with a ram? Why are all these trucks junk lately? Do they have incompetent engineers, assembly workers, do they not test drive any of these vehicles? It's not 1920 Jesus these trucks are 40-100k f'n dollars. Not 2 grand wtf. I just took it back to the ram dealership told them it's no secret that these are doing this and a service bulletin is out bla bla bla... we'll see if anything changes or if they lie and say it's not doing it when we drive it.

Last edited:

montyh

Reaction score
Well the dealership replaced the passenger side weather strip on the front door but it did nothing to stop the teapot 🫖 sounds. The person on the phone said they now know it's the windshield leaking from the bottom edge and they are replacing the windshield now. We will see... It's not coming home until the noise it gone. I'll light it on fire before I drive it like that.

montyh

Reaction score
And the windshield replacement did nothing. RAMS ARE GARBAGE! I also have a grinding noise when I first start out in the morning... FORDs only from now on...

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the windshield replacement did nothing. RAMS ARE GARBAGE! I also have a grinding noise when I first start out in the morning... FORDs only from now on...

Your ram is garbage.. don’t include those that don’t have your issues in that. Goodluck trade it for a Ford they have their own fair share of issues like any manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Halfpint81

Reaction score
The whistling noise is probably from the side mirrors I used to have that issue you all the time when the wind was coming from a certain direction and I was traveling a certain speed. Next time it happens if you have auto folding mirrors fold them in and see if it stops, I think there was a fix for that

montyh

Reaction score
Apparently its the windshield wiper blades per Abra glass after taping everything but the blades they taped the blades and no noise, we will see... The pile got doored at the dearship so the dent will be fitting... 2021 ram bighorn 5.7 4x4 40k

U

User_3336

Apparently its the windshield wiper blades per Abra glass after taping everything but the blades they taped the blades and no noise, we will see... The pile got doored at the dearship so the dent will be fitting... 2021 ram bighorn 5.7 4x4 40k
montyh said:

Trade it if you're so unhappy. All you've talked about in your posts are how ram's are garbage, and Ford's are better. why are you still here? LOL

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Reminds me of when I worked for one of the national home builders. I had this one home owner whining "My last house was an XXXX Homes house and they did this. My last house was an XXXX Homes house and they did that...". After about the fifth time hearing how much better she thought the other builder was I asked her why she didn't buy one of their homes instead. She stammered and slipped out that they couldn't afford it. I just grinned and went on with it. My VP did not think it was that funny when she called bitching about me. He got over it though.

montyh

Reaction score
It's still making the teapot noise..wiper blades lol... im just saying the newer trucks aren't very good from what I've seen. I loved chevy trucks until my 2019, it was tinfoil thin, very loud going over bumps, bad suspension in the rear felt like you could leave the road, on gravel it sounded like the gravel could be getting in the cab it was so loud. I traded it for a ram because I liked the last one I drove, but it was a 2016. I thought ram would be best after truck of the year bla bla bla, but it's got that whistling noise that drives people nuts, not just me nuts. Don't be afraid to hammer on a vehicle while a salesman is sitting next to you test driving go 75-80 see if it's a teapot. That's all... I'm friends with a body guy so I'll tear apart the post area and the door to fix the insulation that is probably all full of holes. The dealership keeps giving it back to me saying it's fixed, like I won't hear it when I leave the lot smfh...

Users who are viewing this thread