5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent power delivery when going full throttle

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
Hey guys I have about 30k on this truck but there's a big issue thats really been bothering me ever since I got the truck. Now I understand this truck is not a sports car and its primary purpose is clearly not made for speed but I do like to have some fun every now and then. What I've noticed is if I'm cruising and go full throttle, there are times tthe truck pulls like a beast. I get a strong whiplash and the engine has a very strong linear pull all the way to redline as evidenced from dyno sheets (I know the vvt 5.7's hemi's make power all the way to redline). But sometimes I go full throttle and the engine feels extremely underwhelming. The powerband feels like it peaks at around 250 hp around 4,500 rpm and then nosedives all the way to redline, but most of the time, it picks up again at some point once it shifts to the next gear. Sometimes it'll downshift, feel weak for the first second or so then all of a sudden I get this HUGE surge of power all the way to redline. I have no idea how to replicate the engines performance so that it always performs the way it should. I've tried turning traction control off, tow/haul mode, gear selector, resetting the throttle. Nothing seems to work, it pulls great a few times then a few moments later pulls like an underpowered mid 90's american v8 again...then pulls great again a few moments later. And I'm talking about full throttle runs from the same speed. I'll usually go 35, have it downshift to first, then its literally a coin toss with how the engine pulls. It blows my mind how I can't seem to find any threads out their mentioning this because everyone I know personally with this truck has noticed the same thing. You guys have any feedback? Does this sound exactly like something the pedal commander can fix?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys I have about 30k on this truck but there's a big issue thats really been bothering me ever since I got the truck. Now I understand this truck is not a sports car and its primary purpose is clearly not made for speed but I do like to have some fun every now and then. What I've noticed is if I'm cruising and go full throttle, there are times tthe truck pulls like a beast. I get a strong whiplash and the engine has a very strong linear pull all the way to redline as evidenced from dyno sheets (I know the vvt 5.7's hemi's make power all the way to redline). But sometimes I go full throttle and the engine feels extremely underwhelming. The powerband feels like it peaks at around 250 hp around 4,500 rpm and then nosedives all the way to redline, but most of the time, it picks up again at some point once it shifts to the next gear. Sometimes it'll downshift, feel weak for the first second or so then all of a sudden I get this HUGE surge of power all the way to redline. I have no idea how to replicate the engines performance so that it always performs the way it should. I've tried turning traction control off, tow/haul mode, gear selector, resetting the throttle. Nothing seems to work, it pulls great a few times then a few moments later pulls like an underpowered mid 90's american v8 again...then pulls great again a few moments later. And I'm talking about full throttle runs from the same speed. I'll usually go 35, have it downshift to first, then its literally a coin toss with how the engine pulls. It blows my mind how I can't seem to find any threads out their mentioning this because everyone I know personally with this truck has noticed the same thing. You guys have any feedback? Does this sound exactly like something the pedal commander can fix?
I had the same problem the pedal commander helped big time. Every now and then it won't down shift and will hesitate but overall fixed the problem.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are two things at play, the variable valve timing from the engine and torque management from the transmission. I find a quick jab to half or 3/4 throttle to get the intial downshift, then a full mash gets the best results. To truly solve this issue you'll need a tuner

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

Bassinb

Reaction score

Bcryan

Reaction score
I have the same issue but it happens to me I’m already full throttle passing someone and it shifts and dogs out. I have a pedal commander and it doesn’t solve the issue

jburden59

Reaction score
How long does it take for the lights, etc. to go out? I waited an inordinate amount of time and the cluster lights stayed on as well as the radio, etc. Only the dome/courtesy lights went out......

Bassinb

Reaction score
Just wait for the touchscreen to finish loading up and the bells to stop dinging. 45 seconds-ish. Then you should be clear to follow those steps.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can try re-calibrating the pedal.

Put truck into "run"
Wait for lights n such to turn off
With even pressure (don't mash it) push the pedal all the way to the floor and keeping that pressure bring the pedal back
Turn off truck
Start truck
Test drive

Credit to this post: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...engine-is-cold-anyone-else.22175/#post-330468
Well, I saw this post tonight and decided to give it a try before I went to the store. I don't know if my high expectations made it seem like it made a huge difference or if it actually did; so for now I'm being cautiously optimistic. But anyway... First, it definitely feels more responsive; I didn't have any of that bog-down or hesitation that I normally experience. Second, when I floored it I was shocked; it has never taken off like that. My truck has always had this hesitation on acceleration and I didn't notice it tonight at all. I'll give it a few more days before I pass judgement, but initial impressions are that this "procedure" is a difference maker. So it appears that my truck has not been properly calibrated since it left the factory.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the push button ...do you press it twice before bringing the throttle to the floor? Is that even a legit thing? Lol

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you're asking Jrod, to re-calibrate the pedal you have to put the truck into "run" so yes push the button twice but keep your foot off of the brake

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you're asking Jrod, to re-calibrate the pedal you have to put the truck into "run" so yes push the button twice but keep your foot off of the brake
Thank you. I did try it earlier today...didn't notice any huge difference. Is this something that takes effect over time or are you guys doing this every day before you drive..? I only drove maybe 2 miles after "resetting the throttle" so maybe I just need to drive a little further tomorrow.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I've only done it once and drove it for about an hour on city and highway on a short trip to my cousins. You probably won't notice a huge difference, what it did for me mostly was eliminate the sluggishness at cold starts and the hesitation when punching it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I replaced my air intake with the mopar unit (which I highly recommend, it specifically seems to work best on the highway when air is flying at the intake, this is where I noticed the biggest improvement) - I saw something funny concerning the old one.

When I picked it up off the ground, a whooooooole lot of seeds and debris fell out. It appears a rodent was using my air intake as his birdseed vault :oops:

If you guys have tried EVERYTHING and nothing makes sense?
Open up your intake, see if there's stuff lodged in there.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
When I replaced my air intake with the mopar unit (which I highly recommend, it specifically seems to work best on the highway when air is flying at the intake, this is where I noticed the biggest improvement) - I saw something funny concerning the old one.

When I picked it up off the ground, a whooooooole lot of seeds and debris fell out. It appears a rodent was using my air intake as his birdseed vault :oops:

If you guys have tried EVERYTHING and nothing makes sense?
Open up your intake, see if there's stuff lodged in there.
Sounds like it’s time to start parking in your garage, or get yourself a Victor Rat Zapper.

What have your noticed with your Ram Air, performance, MPG?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s time to start parking in your garage, or get yourself a Victor Rat Zapper.

What have your noticed with your Ram Air, performance, MPG?

My review post on it is in the middle of this page right here (It's a long post)

the quick version?
IMHO the MPG gain was between .5 and 1mpg (highway). Averaging to .7mpg mixed driving.
I think the air hits the engine pretty quick, so it's got good response, and the power delivery at speed (like 40mph+) is definitely better. It really feels so smooth, like the engine has alllllll the air it needs, right when it needs it. I would do it again 100%.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
You can try re-calibrating the pedal.

Put truck into "run"
Wait for lights n such to turn off
With even pressure (don't mash it) push the pedal all the way to the floor and keeping that pressure bring the pedal back
Turn off truck
Start truck
Test drive

Credit to this post: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...engine-is-cold-anyone-else.22175/#post-330468

I've tried this quite a few times especially when I start noticing the responsiveness begin to get sluggish. It does seem to work: The pedal feels a lot more responsive and it does seem to accelerate better and more consistently. However, I feel like it only lasts about 50 miles of driving and then it goes back to before so I feel like I have to keep resetting it. Do I have to drive it hard after resetting it to train the trucks ecu to accelerate better?

Users who are viewing this thread